Chapter 14 - Peace

Shawn walks down from the door, "Hey," he says as he gets over to her bedside.

Although she's overwhelmed with surprise, she replies, "Hi," before turning to look at Cainan. "What did you do?!"

Neriah can see mischievousness written all over Cainan's face even though he hasn't uttered a word, "Not much, had a long talk with him."

Then she looks back at Shawn, with wide eyes, "Please tell me he didn't threaten you into doing anything."

"He did," Shawn answers with a quick nod, "but I needed it."

"Thanks for the flower." She smiles brightly at him. She hasn't felt this happy in days now and it is so obvious to Cainan but she can't bring herself to care at this point.

He beams at her, "You're welcome."

"I'll give the both of you room," Cainan speaks up and Neriah nods before he makes his way out of the ward.

Shawn takes a seat on the little space beside her on the bed and he takes her cold left hand into his and gently strokes it.

Neriah seeing the opportunity she has seizes it and begins to speak, "Shawn, I'm so sorry for hurting you the way I did. I was scared and afraid of hurting you with the truth that I tried to run away. If I could go back, I'll do things better."

"It's okay, I'm glad I know the truth and though it felt bitter and was hurtful, it was needed." He looks around the room before asking, "How's the treatment going?"

She sighs, "I honestly have no clue, most days the doctors say you're in good hands, Miss Gomez and other days they don't even say a thing."

His hand gives her a reassuring squeeze, "You're scared," he points out.

He knew her too well, "I cannot not be, I have a lot of questions, a lot of doubt, I've been here before and as much I want to beat it, I have to weigh my options."

"Am I one of those options?" He asks, very careful not to spook her.

He was and he still is.

There were thoughts that kept her up at night, thoughts about her family and how they'll feel when they find out the truth. Although Cainan had sheltered the responsibility of the bills, the pain of losing her would remain with her mom and her sister and brother and also with Shawn.

She tightens her hand around his, "You've always been one of the options, that was why I chose to run away instead of telling you the truth Shawn. That way you would not hurt more at my death."

He strokes her cheeks, sending shivers down her spine, "You think like a little child. Did you think I wouldn't have looked, found and followed you where ever you went?"

Her throat runs dry and she forgets the words she had as a response, "I'm confused."

"Well, you should be." He moves his hand to stroke her hair and his fingers lace in the strand of her hair, "I was confused for days not knowing why I couldn't hate or resent you and it made sense, I loved you and if that meant staying with you and loving you till your last breath, then I was ready, I am ready." He looks into her eyes, "Are you?"

Her eyes are blurry and they can barely hide the tears in them, "I'm scared," she admits with tears rolling down her face.

He wiped off the tears running her face, "It's okay to be scared, but I'll be here even if we beat this and even if we don't."

"I lo-ve... Y..you," she sobs helplessly.

Shawn pulls closer to her and wraps his arms around her for comfort and surprising enough, she holds onto him instead of fighting to be set free. She needs him to hold her and not let her go and as he does that she cling to him as though his shoulders are the very support of her breath.