Chapter 24 - Neriah

The next five weeks that followed were what everyone around Neriah called a miracle because there were unexpected.

Contrary to the one week given by the doctors and expected of her to live, Neriah spent four more weeks living, loving, working, and learning.

After surviving through the first week, Cainan asked her to marry him and when she said yes, they organised a small wedding in the ward for the both of them to be joined as man and wife and Cainan was the happiest.

They released many more sketches and designs as Riá-no Neriah's clothing brand launched into the world a week after, ranging from children's wear to adult wear of all sizes. It paved more way after Cainan announced that 50% of the funding would be given to the fight against cancer campaign to help families and those affected by it.

Her unexplainable time extension, her marriage and work brought the attention of not just the media, but the world to her and even though Cainan kept them from getting anywhere in or near her, they kept on reporting on every day Neriah lived, counting it as one of the longest runs against cancer experience by anyone.

Riá-no trended on every social network every day that Neriah lived and every new sketch and design was welcomed into the world with open arms. Her creations were always out of stock within one hour of release, breaking records every day in the fashion world.

The #runagainstcancer campaign began with families who had lost their loved ones coming out to show support and applauding Neriah for holding on and working at her most difficult times. She became a role model for young girls and people fighting cancer everywhere, as her work showed her bravery, even at the most painful and weakest of times.

Cainan noticed the smile on her face each time he brought her a card from a fan or supporter of her and her work, and it was like no other. She felt joy, fulfilment and gratitude for every day she saw, every work she did, every creation she brought out and every life she touched. It was beyond her wildest expectation, but she accepted the privilege of having to be a part of it, even if it was for a moment.

Cainan remembers Neriah, his wife's last smile. Her last words are in his memory and will forever remain there as a reminder of the presence of an angel in his life.

Cainan had stayed with Neriah until her last day, making sure friends, and family surrounded her and those she loved. He also got the chance to introduce some of his friends to her, his best friends Laré and Rogue who were later present at his wedding, Neriah told them she'd heard a few things about them and she conversed with them as though she had all the time in the world.

He tried to make her smile and laugh the best way he could. Neriah's happiness was his happiness, and he made sure she was happy to the last day.

Shawn began a relationship with a new colleague at work a week after their wedding and had a lot of duties at work since Cainan had taken months off to be fully dedicated to his wife. Shawn still made time to be around Neriah the best way he could and to show his support.

Neriah's last day felt as though it happened yesterday to Cainan, even though it's been a week.

Cainan had sat beside her the whole day, watching her sketch as if knowing it was her last and he watched her, secretly aware they were her last moments with him. He'd stored up every moment in his memories where they'll be safe forever.

Her eyes fixed on him and he remembers the smile she had on her face right before her eyes close and she took her last breath.

She loved him until the end, and he loved her even after her end. He knew he couldn't have asked for more, but he missed her with every passing day.