Chapter 17 - Not Enough Time

He knows that goes against almost everything he said he’d do, which is staying away, but Mike’s words had gotten to him. Neriah has only a month to live and maybe even less than that and he knows staying away and hoping she pulls through really isn’t an option anymore. He needed to see her. It’s been a whole damn week of keeping away and what good did that do him? He only lied to himself and told himself that staying away was the best when it wasn’t.

He remembers the words Ada had spoken to him about a week ago. ‘A feeling you can’t express is as painful as a heartbreak’ This past week he’d stayed away and he can recall the terrible way his heart ached throughout and he doesn’t want that anymore, he needs to see her and he knows she’s going to have a lot of question regarding his absence in the past week but he doesn’t care, he would be as sincere as he needs to be.

As he gets to the door of Neriah’s ward, he knocks softly and when he hears the small voice say “come in”, he pushes the door wide open and makes his presence known.

Neriah, who is sitting on her bed, seems to be invested in the movie being shown on TV that she doesn’t look his way at first, so he further moves into the room and when he gets to the bed, he stops walking.

Neriah still doesn’t look his way but asks, “What do you want?” Instead.

He stays quiet, not knowing how to respond to her demanding question, and when he opens his mouth, no word comes out. The explanation he’d rehearsed about his need for space and his selfishness of wanting her even when she wasn’t his first out of the window at this moment and he stood dumb like an idiot lost in space.

“Cat got your tongue?” Neriah asks, finally glancing at Cainan from the TV she’s watching for the first time in three minutes.

Her face, which used to be fair, radiant and lively, is now pale and her brown eyes weak and narrow with red colour coated around them. Her lips are breaking from extreme dryness and he wonders if she’s had enough water today. There are still a few strands of hair on her hair, but she covers her hair up with a pink beanie. The sight is heartbreaking but still beautiful to Cainan.

So much has changed with her in just a week and he still cannot believe it.

His head moves from side to side. “No, I’m sorry.” He says, which is followed by a deep sigh.

“For what? Leaving for no reason and not calling or visiting for a week?” She demands, and he can hear her voice breaking.

“Neriah, I—”

“I thought we stopped bailing on each other. I thought we stopped being enemies and are now friends.” Her voice, although small and weak, possesses demand and energy in all the right points.

“We are.”

“No, we’re not.” She snaps angrily, glaring at him.

Cainan presses his lips together and moves to seat on the chair beside her bed, before taking her icy hand into his and he’s surprised that Neriah doesn’t yank it away from him. “I’m sorry, so sorry, Neriah. Yes, I’m a crazy head. I snap and do stupid things when things feel a little good, but it was never to hurt you.”

Her nod follows a sharp sigh, “I know that you’ve always been a scared chicken.”

“That was why I needed the bold and defiant tigress like you to keep this chicken from losing it.” He agrees.

Neriah chuckles and Cainan can’t help smiling in return. “We should get out of here,” he suggests.

Her brow rises. “Where will we go, weirdo?”