24

It's only been a week, but Wren hasn't left her room once. Not even to eat. She simply couldn't. Her heart hurts every time she moves.

Nona comes in to check on her, and read her books every now and then. She's worried for her health, but can't get the girl to eat a single bite.

Tonight, she worries the most. 

"Wren, how are you?" Nona softly asks, sitting at the edge of the frail girl's bed.

"Fine," She responds tiredly. "I'm gonna go visit Dad. If I don't, the state will kick our ass."

Nona frowns, "tonight? Why don't you wait till tomorrow morning? It's late, and dark out by now...."

"I have to go tonight," Wren whimpers. "I can handle the pain for another day."

Nona sits in silence, knowing better than to argue.

"Okay...be safe, Child. Tell your father I said hello," she bids, standing and walking out of the room.

Wren quietly pulls her white converse on, and leaves the house. Her car speeds down the street in complete silence. Everything feels numb to her, even the way the steering wheel feels under her fingers.

The bags under her eyes make her look sicker than she really is. And her cheeks are sunken, probably from not eating.

She looks tired. A type of tired that not even sleep can fix.

"Why am I even so upset?" She whispers with a sad cackle. "I only liked him for a month. I was only dating him for a week."

-

"You sentimental idiot!" Richie frustratedly yells. "Tell me, exactly how was breaking up with her gonna help her?"

The few people sitting in the diner, glance towards them weirdly. Eddie feels too exhausted to care.

"Because, Richie," Eddie tiredly starts, "the less she knows the better."

"Eddie, you look like shit," The trashmouth mutters. "How long has it been since you even showered?"

"Well, I went to her house the same day I broke my arm...the same day the losers club fell apart. Haven't showered since then," he responds, leaning his head against his hands. 

"That was a week ago!"

Eddie shrugs.

"Man, you're really not being yourself. Eddie, man, she's just a—"

"She isn't just a girl, Richie! She's my girl. God, I feel so stupid, but at the same time I-I just...I can't let her get hurt because of me," Eddie mutters, holding back the tears he feels coming on. "Everything hurts, Richie. I feel like my whole life is falling apart. It's all because of that stupid fucking clown."

Richie frowns, and watches as Eddie stirs his milkshake.

The door behind them rings as someone enters, and Richie's eyes immediately dart up to see who it is. When he sees her, his eyes widen and he ducks down, pushing Eddie down too.

"What the hell, Richie?!"

"Shhh," Richie hisses. "She's here."