26

"And that's the story of how I broke my arm," Eddie hums, staring at Wren's ceiling.

Wren is silent, pondering whether to believe him or not. The tone in his voice tells her that he's telling the truth, and everything adds up. It's just so insane to think that everything he's saying isn't just another one of his over exaggerations. Yet she knows Eddie isn't kidding from the tone in his voice.

"So...there's a clown after you?..." she asks softly.

"Me and the others, yes. It's been after us since Bill found out something in this town isn't right," he responds. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner...I thought you wouldn't believe me."

"I mean," she blinks in shock, "–wow. It's kind of hard to believe...but I trust you."

"Thank you," he whispers. "I love you so much. I don't know what I'd do without you..."

"Who wrote that on your cast?" She mumbles, her eyes suddenly scanning the boy's arm. The first time she'd seen him with the cast, he hadn't had anything written on it.

"Which part?"

"The 'Loser' part?"

"Oh...uh...Greta wrote it. She works at the pharmacy, and she asked to sign it. I should've known better than that. S-So I tried to fix it...it looks stupid, right?" He blushes.

Wren giggles, "No, I think it's cute. But I am gonna punch Greta the next time I see her."

Eddie smiles and faces the girl.

"You know, I think you're really pretty. The entire time I was away from you, I felt like I couldn't do anything. I felt disabled in a way I couldn't explain," he admits. "I hadn't taken a shower since then, but then Richie made me take one before coming over here."

"Richie? He was with you?" Wren asks curiously.

"Yeah, why?"

"Nothing...it's just..." she attempts to find the correct words, "I really miss him. I haven't seen him in a while. I really miss Stan too."

Eddie tenses up at her words a little.

"You miss them? Why?...." He mutters.

Wren shrugs.

"Because I love them," she hums. "Not the same way I love you, but still love."

"You're not allowed to love other people," he pouts.

Wren raises an eyebrow, "Why not? You know it's super impossible for me not to love Stany! I love him so much if you weren't here I'd probably marry—"

Eddie doesn't let her finish his sentence, he turns away from her with an upset expression.

"Well if you love him so much then fine."

"Oh my god, Eddie, I'm just kiddinggggg," she groans.

"Well, I don't like your sense of humor. I don't like it at all," he grumbles, still turned away from her. "My heft clenches whenever you talk about other guys, and I don't even understand why."

"That's called jealousy, baby."

Eddie gasps.

"No! I'm not jealous. That's dumb! No way! I c-can't be jealous of Stan or Richie! Pffft, me jealous of Richie, that'll be the day!"

"You sound jealous to me," Wren snickers, turning and cuddling into the boy.

"Baby, I'll never be jealous because I know I'm way better than those idiots," he hums a little too confidently.

"Damn, I didn't know you were suddenly Mr. Too Confident," She giggles in response. She sneaks in a quick kiss on the cheek, causing the boy to blush and grin widely.

"I can't stop saying 'I love you'. I love you," Eddie murmurs, shifting to face her. "I use to feel really afraid to say anything like that...and I thought I'd never fall in love because of all my paranoia's and issues...but you really don't mind all of that, and I really feel safe with you. Like it's gonna be okay, and it's okay to be myself...which is why I can't let that fucking clown hurt you."

Wren's eyes sparkle as she looks into Eddie's eyes.

"I love you, too...so much," she whispers. "But I don't think that Bill was in the wrong. I think he was being reckless— but I think his intentions were right. We should go back and help him fight that thing..if we don't, he'll do it alone. He's like that."

Eddie's smile drops.

"No. We won't be doing anything like that. I might, but not you. You're staying far away from this situation—far away from the clown," he states.

Wren sits up, looking a bit more determined. Eddie sits up with her, having a fixed look.

"Eddie, don't be ridiculous! I could hel—"

"No, Wren! No," he argues. "You're not helping. That's final."

"Excuse me? When did you become my dad?!" She scoffs. "Sorry, Eddie, but you don't get to dictate my actions. I'm helping whether you want me to or not. Bill is my friend too!"

As her voice gets louder, their faces get closer. The argument gets more serious. The room gets more hot. Their faces twist with frustration.

"No!" Eddie raises his voice, "see, this is exactly why I didn't want to tell you! You can't help! You're not even apart of the losers club, baby! If you were, the clown would be all over you two."

Wren doesn't know why, but she feels offended by his words. On one hand, he was saying she isn't a loser, but on the other, he's basically saying he's not their friend.

"Wow," She cackles. "I can't believe you're being such a dick! Why can't I help? Tell m—"

"BECAUSE IM FUCKING SCARED TO LOSE YOU!" Eddie shouts, near tears.

Wren's eyes widen at his tone of voice, and she shuts her mouth in pure shock.

"I-I'm...I'm so scared to lose you," Eddie continues, "if you got seriously hurt, I would never forgive myself! When I say I love you, god, just know I mean it. I've never met anyone as understanding as you, and I don't think I ever will! I'm convinced we're meant to be, a-and if you died...I-I—"

Suddenly, Eddie feels as though he can't breathe. He's having an asthma attack, and he can't even comprehend why.

Either way, his hands rush to find his inhaler. When he finally grabs it, he takes many huffs off it, and doesn't stop crying until he feels like he can breathe again.

All the while, Wren watches with both worry and sentiment. Her hand holds his until he's breathing and calm again.

"I can help," she softly says. "Nothing will happen to me."

Eddie's body is still shaking, but his eyes glance up to meet hers.

"Promise? Promise that you wont leave me."

"I promise, baby. I promise I'll never leave you," She repeats softly. "That clown messed with the wrong girl's boyfriend."

And, oh boy, Pennywise really did mess with the wrong girl's boyfriend. He is in for a treat.