Chapter 6:

1 Month

No clears

A whole month has passed and Onyx and I haven't cleared one jump over 6 feet or higher. He had at least been attempting to jump the giant wall, but he still knocked over a pile of the faux bricks.

The competition was in a 2 months and 2 weeks and so far, it seemed like we had no hope. Between getting back into school, doing homework and regular barn chores, I felt as if we barely had a decent amount of time to train. Plus I was already behind on a few subjects, which had made my parents fume.

Meanwhile Mr. Moody Felix hadn't really improved either. He still ignored Rio to the extreme and I was starting to worry about the mares mental health. She seemed to have calmed down a bit once she had been put into a paddock with other horses, but the grooms had been so busy with regular J.O.P.S horses, plus the coaches had their other students to work with that she hadn't gotten any riding time since she first came here.

Well not anymore if I had anything to say about it.

" I don't know Sky... " Jewel spoke as we entered the indoor arena with a fully tacked Rio. The mare, if it was even possible, looked more stunning when she was fully groomed and tacked.

" It'll be fine, this is what Mr. and Mrs. Marston wanted, for the mare to be retrained and thats what we're doing " I replied as I watched Jewel play with the end of the lunge line she was holding. " Besides, we're just lunging her for now, its not like we're jumping her "

The giant brick wall that now haunted my dreams was still standing on one side of the huge arena. Rio's ears perked at the sight and she practically dragged me closer.

" Whoa! " I called as I attempted to halt her huge 18 hand high body. She finally stopped just a few feet away from the wall and I smiled at her. " Eager to get back to work huh? " I asked as I tickled her whiskers.

I led her back towards Jewel and adjusted my stirrups as she attached the lunge line to her bridle.

" ...What if Felix finds out? " Jewel asked nervously as she glanced back to the arena entrance. Rio's ears seemed to perk at the mention of her owners name.

She gave me a leg up as I replied. " Who cares? He clearly wants nothing to do with her anymore "

Just as I placed my feet in my stirrups, Rio crab-stepped, throwing her head. " Easy girl " I tried to sooth as I gathered my reins, but that only seemed to irritate her more and she took off at a ground eating canter.

" Whoa! " I kept calling as I attempted to slow her. I could see Jewel struggling to keep her even on the lunge line.

Rio continued to fight the bit, my legs, anything that I did until I just let the reins loose to the buckle and moved my legs as far off her sides as I could without looking weird. Rio immediately came to a halt and I almost slipped onto her neck.

Jewel sighed as she shook her head. " Sensitive mare... " she said as she let some of the lunge line go, making the circle around her bigger.

I nodded. " How did she ever become a champion Puissance jumper with sensitivity like that? " I replied as I slowly took back a bit of rein and let my legs fall gently against her sides. She snorted and gladly lowered her head, ambling forward at a lazy pace.

" She must have been out of work for longer than we thought " Jewel replied.

I glanced over at her as she rewrapped the lunge line, but my eyes slowly drifted to the wall. Rio, obviously in tune with whoever was riding her, glanced at the wall as well. The cut on her leg had long since healed and she seemed to be moving just fine.

" ...Maybe she just wants to jump? "

" No way! That's too risky, you could barely get her to walk straight " Jewel replied.

I shifted my weight into a false two point and Rio followed suit. I could feel her muscles tense as if she was about to jump.

" I think she just likes to do things on her terms, she doesn't want to be directed or told " I explained to Jewel.

" I still don't know Sky "

" The family wants her retrained so thats whats happening, now cut us loose and let me try this! " I tried not to beg, making it sound like I knew what I was doing, but the truth was, I had no idea how this was going to turn out.

Jewel seemed to think for a few minutes before she sighed and let her shoulders sag. She gathered the lunge line and set us free. I let Rio warm up at her own pace, taking a few low practise jumps around the arena. Once I just kept the reins loose and let her do her thing, the mare was a dream. She responded to my every move and her jump was big, even on a 1.70m triple bar. Once I pointed her at the wall, I held her back ever so slightly until the last possible second. She fought my hands at first before her focus turned to the jump. She sprang forward and took a huge leap, sailing over the wall and for a moment, I thought about closing my eyes when I saw the ground coming up fast, but Rio landed gracefully and cantered away from the jump, giving a playful buck. I slowed her and glanced back at the wall, holding my breath.

But nothing was down!

The wall was still perfectly in place!

" Yes! " I cheered and gave Rio a hardy pat.

" That looked amazing! She cleared that wall with scope! How did you do it? " Jewel asked as I rode back over to her.

" It really was all Rio, she's a pro! I can't believe how good that felt! " I replied as I dismounted. " I mean look at her, she's not even winded! "

But Jewel wasn't focused on Rio and me anymore, instead she was looking at the doorway and when I looked to, I froze.

Felix was standing there, leaning against the gate with his arms crossed.

And he looked mad!

I blonde hair was stuck to his face from hauling hale up to the second floor of the barn and his cheeks were tainted red.

" What do you think your trying o do? " His voiced echoed in the arena and Rio craned her neck, trying to get closer to him.

I swiped a stray hair that had escaped from my fishtail braid and glared at him. " What does it look like? We're exercising your poor horse since your obviously not going to "

" Rio just came off from a sprain and you thought it would be okay to make her jump the wall? " I could tell he was trying hard not to yell, but he was failing.

" Your parents said that healed a long time ago. She wants to get back to work! Didn't you see the way she just jumped the wall? She was loving every second of it! " Unlike him, I wasn't holding myself back.

Felix seemed to turn more red. " She's my horse, therefore I decide what she's going to do and I say she isn't ready to get back to work "

I scoffed. " Ya, her or you? "

He paused, his blue eyes glazing over as if he was deep in thought. He shook his head, opening the gate and walking over to me. He was a bit taller so I attempted to stand straighter. There was no way he was going to intimidate me. My eyes looked towards Jewel, but I could tell she was going to stay out of it.

" ...Give me my horse... " Felix demanded more than asked.

I smirked as I handed over the reins and watched him walk Rio out of the arena. He didn't seem to mind being close to her after all.

Once he was well gone, Jewel finally walked over. " What just happened? Why are your smirking like that? "

I linked my arm through her and started walking out of the arena. " I just got Mr. Moody to finally care about his horse... "