Chapter 14:

I was in study hall Friday afternoon.

The day before the competition.

And I couldn't study!

No matter how hard I tried, my mind just kept seeing me and Onyx jumping that wall, Felix and Rio following us and the gold medals my parents invested in for the winning teams.

They explained that this wasn't an average Puissance competition. Instead of the wall being raised after each round, the participating riders would choose what height they want the wall to be set for their turn. If they jumped clear, they would move on, if not elimination.

In the end there would be one victor for the boys, one for the girls and the highest scoring team.

Felix's parents were flying in early tomorrow, much to Felix's arguments. They were just so happy that he was back into competition.

I sighed as I shut my notebook. School had been a drag, but winter break was right around the corner, a week away and this competition officially marked the end of show season. I was happy for the break, but I knew that soon I would be itching for cross-country, which I couldn't do since deep snow had covered the course. I could do some indoor cross country, but I knew that it wouldn't feel the same for both me and Onyx.

I smiled when I thought about my boy. He had really been putting 110% for me for this competition with very little protests. He was growing up.

I nearly fell out of my seat when a stack of books slammed down on the table.

I looked up and frowned at Icky Vicky and Nate, but instead of glaring at me, Vicky smiled.

" Nervous? " She asked as she and Nate sat down.

I gave them a skeptical look. " ...No, not really "

" Well I am, you and Felix are really going to give us a run for our money, that's why " She glanced at Nate. " We have an offer for you "

I raised a brow. " What are you talking about? "

" Well you clearly do have the skills to make it into Puissance, so why don't you ditch the wannabe and join our team? "

I couldn't help my eyes from widening. " You want me to compete with you two? "

Vicky smiled, obviously thinking she was getting her way. " Of course, we were a bit harsh to judge you before, and plus Felix probably has tons of medals and trophies, he doesn't need any more "

I smirked as I sat up. " I think you may be on to something "

Vicky smiled. " So your in then? Welcome to team- "

I held up a hand. " I'm going to stop you right there " I interrupted her. " This just proves that your worried about Felix and I showing you up "

Vicky's smile fell and she went back to glaring at me. " Us, worried about you two? Please, you have no hope of winning tomorrow "

I smirked again as I gathered my books and walked by them. " Then why did you want me on your team? "

...............................................................

" No way! " Felix almost fell out of Rio's saddle as he laughed. We had given the horses the day off and decided to go for nice winter trail ride. The horses were fitted for the colder weather in quarter sheets, fleece covered girths and boots while I was dressed in thicker winter breeches, winter paddock boots, a turtle neck and a down filled vest. Felix had on winter breeches and boots as well, but he was wearing a black and red plaid flannel shirt.

I smiled as I watched Rio swing her head around, feeling the off balance of Felix. " I'm telling you, thats exactly what I said! "

" You know what this means right? " He asked as we turned left, down a plain path that led to the end of J.O.P.S property. The usual path I took with the cross-country jumps was covered with too much snow to jump safely, so we had to stick with the boring path. The snow was on my side for one thing though. The colder weather didn't allow Onyx to be as ' Arabian ' as he usually was.

" I have an idea, but you might want to tell me so I know we're on the same page " I teased. In reality I had no idea what he was getting at.

Felix rolled his eyes as he stroked Rio's neck when she spotted a ' spooky ' looking branch brush by us. Both our horses had grown fuzzy with extra hair for the winter, and I dreaded having to brush it all off when spring came.

" It means that they think we're going to win. They're scared " Felix replied.

I let go of the reins, putting my hands on Onyx's croup. It hadn't really occurred to me that that's why they wanted me on their team. I just thought they wanted to mess with Felix, after all, if they wanted to win against us, why not take Felix instead of me?

Onyx lowered his head, sniffing the snow, another one of his strong habits.

" Then why not take you instead of me? " I voiced my thoughts as the trail narrowed, pushing Onyx and Rio closer, and me and Felix.

Felix smiled. " I think they want you because they want to beat out this ' has been '. Or maybe because they see that you're actually really good "

I rolled my eyes. " Actually really good? Thanks " I teased.

Felix's face went red. " No no! That's not what I meant! I- "

This time, it was my turn to laugh until I almost slipped out of the saddle. " I'm just kidding, relax ' has been '. Trust me, for a moment I never thought I'd get this far, but then you came along " I played with Onyx's reins.

" And you annoyingly convinced me to help you " He replied, smirking before he also looked down at his reins. " ...But, you also helped me get back on Rio and get my confidence up, so...thanks "

I looked over at him and smiled, admiring the sparkle the reflection of the snow left in his blue eyes. I felt my stomach tighten into knots.

Before I was overwhelmed, he kicked Rio into a new gear, cantering her through the snow. " Race ya! "

" Hey! " I shouted as I let Onyx canter after them, but the knot in my stomach never went away.

And I'm pretty sure it wasn't from jumping nerves.....