Chapter 12:

" Rio! " I called as I approached the paddock that housed the beautiful mare.

I could see her canter towards me from the back of the field, her ears perked and her tail held high.

Felix and I had agreed during school that I'd get Rio groomed and tack while he did the same for Onyx. I laughed to myself when I remembered I forgot to mention how Onyx behaved when new people tacked him up.

Rio stuck her head over the fence and sniffed my jacket.

I opened the tall metal gate and clipped the lead line to her halter. " No treats right now girl, I've got an even bigger surprise for you! " I could hardly contain my excitement.

Rio picked up on my emotions and pranced beside me all the way to the barn. I groomed and tacked her up in record time, triple checking all her tack to make sure nothing was pinching or not fitting properly. I wanted this first ride with Felix to go as smooth as possible, not ruined by uncomfortable tack.

Rio kept her ears perked the whole time, probably looking around for Felix, since he was the one who usually tacked her up for me.

" Soon girl, it's part of the surprise " I told her as I finished adjusting her bridle and led her towards the indoor arena.

" Hey! Hold Still! "

I laughed out loud when I heard Felix from inside the arena. I walked in to see Onyx attempting to drag Felix around, holding his head high, trying to avoid the reins.

" Having fun? " I asked as I closed the gate behind me, sealing in us and our horses.

" All I was trying to do was tighten his girth and suddenly he's gone all- "

" Crazy Arabian on you? " I answered for him.

" Exactly! I don't know how you handle him "

I smiled as I tightened Rio's girth and gave her tack a final check. " Here, trade and I'll show you how "

Felix seemed a bit more anxious than normal as he handed me Onyx's reins and I gave him Rio's. The mare seemed to turn her head sideways, maybe confused about why another horse was in here with us and why Felix was taking the reins when I usually had them, but her ears remained perked and she nudged his shoulder, making him laugh as he turned to rub her nose.

Onyx immediately calmed when I grabbed his reins. He snorted, ears flattening when he looked at Felix.

" He hold's a grudge " I said as I gently undid his girth buckles.

" I can see that " Felix replied, making me laugh again.

" He's also sensitive pretty much anywhere but especially the girth so it has to be done slowly, otherwise he'll give payback when you ride him " I explained as I gently did up the girth. Onyx sighed. He wasn't a bloater, but he sure acted like it sometimes. I watched out of the corner of my eye as Felix adjusted his stirrups and I did the same before mounting Onyx. He bobbed his head and tugged at the reins even though I was holding them at the buckle.

Felix stuck his foot in the stirrup and hopped a few times before settling down into Rio's saddle.

" ...Nervous? " I asked, giving him a sympathetic smile.

He looked up at me, sighing and nodding. " That obvious huh? "

" Only a lot " I replied, watching as he rolled his eyes. " But it's okay to be nervous after what you've been through, I would be too "

He smiled. " I have to admit, it feels good to be back in the saddle... " He leaned down and stroked Rio's neck. " I've missed her so much...and now I feel totally guilty about the way I treated her... "