Chapter 10:

" There you go! "

" Let her stretch! "

" Go Sky and Rio! "

I smiled as Rio took off the exact time I moved into the two point. A month of training with her and Felix was really starting to show as we cleared the 2 metre wall with room to spare, landing cleanly on the other side. Jewel, Kendall and Felix were watching at the other end of the arena and they cheered, even Felix as I trotted Rio back over to them.

" That looked so amazing! " Kendall said excitedly.

Jewel nodded. " She's like an entirely different horse! "

I laughed as I patted Rio's neck, giving the reins as much slack as I could. She wasn't even sweating!

Felix smiled as he let Rio press her nose to his hand. " Yep, she's looking like her old self again "

" Except for one small problem... "

Felix looked over at me and I gave a quick nod to Jewel and Kendall. They smiled.

" Say Kendall, did I show you the video of Shadow and my show jumping round from the Summer Finale? " Jewel asked.

Kendall was trying hard not to giggle, I could tell. " Nope, lead the way "

Felix watched as they left before giving me a weird look. " Whats going on? " he asked suspiciously.

I dismounted and slipped the reins back over Rio's head, handing them to Felix.

" Follow me, I have a surprise for you "

He smirked and motioned to the door. " Lead the way sweetheart "

I moved quickly so he wouldn't see me blush. His little pet name for me was irritating at first, but I was getting kinda fond of it after all this time.

He followed me with Rio out the back of the barn, where Wendy was waiting with Onyx. I thanked her as I took the reins and stroked Onyx's neck. He nickered affectionately and nudged my arm.

" I'm sorry boy, I've just been so busy training for this competition. I didn't mean to just leave you like that " I whispered to him as I rubbed his ears. I found it special that Onyx loved getting his ears rubbed, considering most horses were sensitive around that area.

I turned and saw Felix standing there. His grip on the reins was tight enough to make his knuckles turn white and I took a deep breath, feeling a bit nervous over my ' surprise '.

" ...I thought we could go on a trail ride together... " I told him, trying to sound confident, but my voice came out small.

Felix sighed, and I could tell he was trying hard to to get angry, but when he looked at me. His face was red.

" I told you I'm not going to ride! " He snapped.

" Why not? " I snapped back. " What happened to you was scary, and I know I'll hopefully never experience what you experience, but if you really love this sport like you did back then, I know your just dying to get back in the saddle! "

" No! I'm not! I gave that up a long time ago! " He was yelling now. Onyx lifted his head and pinned his ears at Felix while I tried to keep him calm.

" You know " Felix continued. " I really thought we had something nice going on! I even agreed to let you ride Rio in the Puissance, but now your being your pushy little self! "

I rolled my eyes. " Don't you understand! I want you to compete with me! "

He froze, blinking a few times. " ...You want me to go back to Puissance? "

I nodded.

He remained frozen for a few more seconds before shaking his head, going back to a glare. " Well tough! Because I'm not doing it! Find someone else to push around! " and with that, he quickly turned Rio and walked back into the barn.

I sighed, feeling worse than I thought I would. I suddenly shivered when I felt warm breath down the back of my neck. I turned and came face to face with Onyx. I smiled sadly as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

" I was just trying to help him boy...but maybe he can't be helped... "

Onyx shook his head, flapping his bottom lip.

I laughed. " You always know how to cheer me up " i said as I check my tack before mounting. " Come on, maybe a trail ride will clear my head...and some cross country on the way home "

At the mention of cross country, Onyx let out an ear piercing whinny.

" Come on crazy " I replied as I turned him towards the back trail that led to a river. It had been the place where our Summer Finale team had come together. It was also the place where Onyx had run when he'd gotten loose during the Show Jumping round warm up, where I had promised not to push him as much as I had been doing so it was super special to me and Jewel alike.

Onyx was practically prancing into the woods, making me laugh until we disappeared, letting the trees cover us.

One thing was for sure. I could see it in his blue eyes.

Felix wanted to ride again.

And I was going to make sure it happened.