Chapter 8:

" ...No way, are you crazy? Did I mention no! "

" Come on! It makes sense! "

" I thought you said you were dropping out? "

" That was before I discovered I had someone to coach me! Come on! It's not like I'm making you compete! "

" No! "

I growled in frustration as I crossed my arms and looked out the window of the family car. Jewel had made the smart choice of calling shotgun and popping on her headphones, while Tony gave me a sideways glance through the rearview mirror. His features told me I should just drop the subject, but i was determined to get myself a coach.

I turned back towards Felix. " Please Please! " I begged this time. " I know what happened was scary but Rio really wants to get back into working, she loves jumping, you can't take that away from her just because your scared! "

Felix glared at me and shifted closer towards me until his face was uncomfortably close to mine. " The last time I rode I shattered my knee, broke all but one of my ribs, collapsed a lung and cracked my skull open. I was crushed, almost died and Rio was hurt, all because I had to show off to win some stupid record "

I put a hand on his chest, pushing him away. " I'm not asking you to make The Vortex a record, I'm asking you to coach me from the ground while I ride a horse thats dying to get back to work "

He shook his head.

I there my arms up, letting out a frustrated groan. " Your impossible "

" And your annoyingly persistent " He replied blankly.

" Um, I hate to cut in, but were you three expecting someone? "

Felix and I turned and stared out the front window. An all too familiar black corvette stingray was parked in front of the barn, along with a rusty looking ancient red ford truck.

" It's that- "

" Icky Vicky and Nates car? Yeah, it is.... " I cut Jewel off.

" And the rust bucket truck belongs to? " Felix asked.

" ...It's Kendall's dads... " I replied, getting more and more confused.

We hopped out of the truck and I didn't even bother throwing my bag in the house, instead I headed straight for the door with Jewel and Felix following behind.

Vicky and Nate were standing outside Rio's stall, talking to a groom.

" Sky! " I turned and saw Kendall jogging up to me. " I'm sorry to just show up like this " She brought her voice down to a whisper as we continued toward Vicky and Nate. " But after school i overheard Vicky and Nate saying they were coming over to check out the new horse that was for sale "

Felix quickly walked in between us. " She's not for sale! " he said forcefully, sending a shiver down my spine. Maybe he cared more about Rio than I thought.

Kendall nodded toward the couple. " Tell them that, I came over to warn you but you weren't home and they had already shown up "

I picked up the pace and only spoke when I stopped directly behind them. " What are you two doing here? " I asked rudely.

The groom made a quick exit, probably happy we had relived him from dealing with the two.

Vicky turned swiftly to face me, her eyes narrowing but a smirk on her face. " Oh good, your here "

She wasn't saying it to me, instead, her eyes fixed on Felix. She passed him a tiny folded piece of paper. " I hope you find this offer matching her worth " she spoke as if she already had Rio in her possession.