Chapter 13:

It took a lot of work.

A lot of fails.

A lot of falls.

And a lot of patience.

We started with lower fences around the highest set height for show jumping but in brick wall form. I jumped Onyx over those before Felix, who was the expert, took time jumping him over the high one.

It was funny at first to see Felix try to ride Onyx. My feisty boy didn't give in without a fight first but after bucking and rearing he settled and let Felix tell him what to do. He got more excited when he saw the high wall and jumped it with force.

It took a few attempts over the course of the weeks leading up to the competition, but finally we were clearing the wall with at least a few centimetres of scope.

But each night I kept having the nightmare.

The one where Onyx and I fall. He fails his legs and I go over his neck, waking up just before my face slams to the ground.

One night the nightmare kept coming back, I was scared to sleep, so still wearing my pj leggings with the ripped knees and an oversized t-shirt, I crept downstairs to the basement, flashing my phone around until the light landed on Felix.

His blonde hair was sticking up in certain parts and his hand laid on his bare chest.

I tried not to stare at his ab's as I walked closer.

" ...Felix? " I called, waving the light around.

He groaned as he cracked open an eye before quickly shielding it from the light.

" Jeez... " He mumbled, yawning as he sat up. " What time is it? "

I frowned as I checked my phone.

3 am

" Um...early " I tried to cover up my shaky tone from my nightmare, but the always aware Felix caught on.

" Are you okay? " He asked, stretching.

" Did it haunt you? " I suddenly blurted out, sitting cross legged in front of the pull out couch he had been using this whole time. The weather was getting cooler and snow had already begun to fall, coating the grass outside like frosting on the cake we were going to be serving to the winners of the competition.

A carrot cake and the thought made me laugh. Onyx would probably try to snag a bite, which I would greatly give him, a tiny bite.

" Did what haunt me? " Felix's raspy morning guy voice made a shiver run down my spine.

" Your accident? Did it haunt you when you slept? Like a nightmare? " I asked, watching as he tensed a bit at the mention of the accident, but not as much as he used to. In fact, it was barely noticeable anymore.

" Of course it did, even before I sometimes got nightmares of Rio and I crashing, but when it actually happened, they came back ten fold "

" So what did you do to get over it before? "

He rubbed the back of his neck, still not bothering to throw on a shirt.

But I also found myself not complaining about it....

" You just have to have faith I guess. trust that your horse outdent intentionally do that and trust yourself that you can guide them safely over it. Why do you ask? " He said before my silence made it click for him.

" Your having nightmares aren't you? "

I bit my lip, wondering if he would see em nodding in the faint light my phone provided.

He smiled and suddenly stop up, walking over to his suitcase an grabbing what looked like his own phone and a pair of headphones.

I had moved from the floor to the couch and he sat down beside me, plugging in the headphones before gently sliding them on my head. I almost flinched at his touch, making my face heat up like the sun that had been absent lately.

" Listen to this song " He told me. " I know it seems weird but it'll help, trust me "

I shrugged. " Alright " I replied and let him hit play.

As the song started, I actually found myself feeling better, more confident maybe?

And as my nerves started to evaporate, I went back to feeling sleepy and found myself leaning on Felix for support until I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer....

........................................................................

I woke up the next morning with my head on Felix's chest, listening to his steady heartbeat even through the headphones. My face feel like a volcano that just erupted and I immediately stood up.

Unfortunately the headphone wires, for some odd reason, were instantly long and tangled between us. My sloppy attempt to move away only caused us to roll off the couch and land on the carpet.

When I looked back up at him, he had a smirk on his face.

" Morning sweetheart. Ready to get working? The show's in a few days "

I rolled my eyes and torn off the headphones, handing them back to him. " If by ready you mean ready to kick you butt then ya, I'm good to go "

We both laughed and he raised a brow. " The student trying to outsmart the master huh? Well I guess we'll have to see about that "

We stood up and I pretended to dust lint off my leggings.

" So how did the song work out? " He suddenly spoke up.

" Actually, really well, I don't feel nervous anymore " I replied. " And the nightmare didn't come back "

He smiled. " Great, I told ya that song is good "

" Yes yes, so now your saying I should trust everything you say? "

He winked at me. " We've have made it this far on my awesome advice haven't we? "

I rolled my eyes again. " Sure, let's just get to practise and put that ' awesome advice ' to its real use "

With one final awkward look we split up to go get ready.

And honestly I didn't feel nervous anymore.