Chapter 17:

The arena was fairly filled. A few tall practise jumps (Mostly triple bars and verticals) were stacked around the huge wall in the middle. I saw Vicky riding Diamond on the other side of the arena and decided to stay on the side closest to the door.

Felix had already started trotting Rio around and when he passed by people halted their horses and whispered to one another, probably surprised Felix Marston was back jumping just a year and a few months after his accident.

I saw Nate too, cantering his prized gelding Knight, a full black thoroughbred Belgian warmblood cross towards a vertical. The gelding took it easily, leaving a ton of space between his hooves and the already 5 foot something jump.

Onyx tugged at the reins, getting a feel for the bit. He laid his ears back, obviously not liking it.

" It's just for now boy, just this once, I don't want to take chances of you getting out of control before a jump " I whispered to him.

He flicked one ear forward, which told me he would tolerate it just this once. I smiled as I stroked his neck. " Good boy "

" Are you going to talk or are you going to jump? "

I frowned as Vicky cantered Diamond by, getting close to Onyx. He snorted and backed up, almost bumping into the wall.

" Watch your space and I will! " I shot back.

I pushed Onyx into a trot, letting him circle a few times and stretch before we moved into a canter and I pointed him at the lowest jump, a five foot vertical. Onyx tried to pull ahead, but even the slightest touch with the new bit kept him in check.

We cleared the jump and I heard what must've been Diamond landing right behind us. As they passed by and cut us off before a triple bar, I got a good look at Vicky's new saddle.

And it was thin.

You could barely see the flaps and only a bit of thick leather on the panel and cantle could be seen under her white breeches.

" That cannot be comfortable " Felix trotted Rio up to us as we watched Vicky land heavily on Diamonds back. The mare shook her head in discomfort, earning a sharp tug from Vicky.

" Your telling me " I replied as I motioned for him to take the triple bar first.

He smiled and cantered Rio towards it, letting her easily pop over as if it wasn't even a foot high.

Me and Onyx took it next and Felix commented on our scope and how high it was, making me smile.

We warmed up for another half an hour before we were stopped by my fathers voice.

We lined up in our teams and I noticed it was just either two or three people to a team.

" Good morning riders " Dad snuck me a smile. " We're going to get started with the boys round first, thens the girls round. Each will have four rounds before a winning team is announced " He explained. " You will each tell our staff what height you will want the wall to be set and they will set it accordingly. the higher you go, the more points will be awarded, but if you knock a piece of the wall or fall, you will be eliminated "

I took a few deep breaths.

" First up for the boys, Nathan Westly on Black Knight "

Nathan walked Knight over and whispered a height to the grooms while we all moved to the other side of the arena. Vicky watched him intently as he took Knight over a few more practise jumps.

Once the grooms were set, they flashed a huge card to the judges sitting in the sky box on the third floor of the barn.

1.6 metres

5.4 feet

Nate didn't flinch at the walls height as he circled Knight before aiming him at the wall, letting him pick up his pace. The gelding flew over it, landing cleanly on the other side.

The other riders clapped, even Felix and I sighed as I followed his lead.

" Next up we have David Trumblade on See Through Fire "

David was a tall guy on an even taller horse that reminded me of Caitlyn's mount Jackson from the Summer Finale, mostly because of the blood bay coat.

He told the grooms his height and they set the wall to a huge  1.9 metres, 6.2 feet.

His teammates, another guy and a girl, looked nervous for him.

David cantered his horse around, popping over the practise triple bar before aiming Fire at the wall. The gelding seemed to get more and more excited the closer he got and David struggled to hold him back. The jumped the wall a stride too early and Fire ended up knocking off a top piece with his back hooves.

They were eliminated.

After the first elimination happened so easily, people started getting more and more nervous, myself included. David's other teammate John ended up clearing a 5 foot height, not wanting to make the same mistakes as his teammate had.

After another 4 guys went it was finally Felix's turn. He set the walls height to 1.8 metres, 5.9 feet, but unlike David's team, I was confident he and Rio could clear it. I saw his parents lined up with the rest of the riders parents by the entrance door. They both looked nervous, but proud.

Rio was careful, but powerful as she jumped the triple bar. Felix turned her widely before the wall. He held her back until the last second, letting her propel over the jump. Rio cleared the wall and cantered away with her head held high, like she had known she'd done well.

I clapped the loudest as he brought her back over to us, halting beside me. We high-fived and I smiled at him as he patted Rio's neck.

" That was awesome! "

He laughed. " It was just one round, still a long way to go "

" You got that right "

We turned as Nate rode over, getting ready for his second round. The boys glared at each other.

This was going to be a long round....

..........................................................................................

It was Felix's final turn. Nate and Vicky's team was currently in first with us in second when Nate set the wall to 1.9 metres or 6.2 feet. The only way for us to move up to first was for Felix to clear the same height. He cantered Rio around the wall, popping her over the triple bar and verticals. Now I was nervous for him, or maybe I was nervous because my round was up next, and if Felix didn't make this, more pressure would be put on me to put our team in first.

Felix took another wide turn to the wall, holding Rio back until the last possible stride, then he let her go and they flew over the wall.

I half closed my eyes as I waited. Rio's hooves grazed against the round top brick and it wobbled dangerous close to the edge. Felix circled Rio around when they landed, just as the brick slid down the other side of the wall.

People sighed and Felix looked disappointed, but h still gave Rio a big pat and came back over to line up with us.

" The winner for the boys round is Nathan Westly on Black Knight " My father announced as Nathan's name was moved up the score board and his and Vicky's team remained in first.

I heard Felix sigh beside me and leaned over to elbow him lightly.

" Not bad for taking a year off " I smiled at him.

He chuckled and smiled back. " Better watch out for me next year " he winked at me.

Before I could get all flustered, dad called for the next round to start and I felt my stomach drop.

This was it.