Chapter 16:

Saturday morning was completely show atmosphere.

Controlled chaos.

People arrived in luxury trailers from far up north and far down south and a few from our area showed up.

Besides the J.O.P.S trailer that wasn't in use and covered in snow, Vicky and Nate's trailer was by far the most impressive. It was a new Country Estate Villa from Featherlite and way too huge for just two horses, riders and a trainer. It was 53 feet in length and sported a flat screen tv, beds, couches, a kitchen, etc. I don't even think my parents used those when they went to the Olympics.

It was lightly snowing outside and Felix and I were bundled up in big jackets to avoid getting our show clothes dirty or wet. Since the barn was heated, along with the arena, we wouldn't freeze to death while we warmed up.

Onyx was feeling the energy of the barn during a show and he danced on the spot, tugging against the lead line I had used to tie him to the bars of his stall. I didn't want to risk running into Vicky or Nate, but Felix didn't care and he had Rio cross-tied just outside the stall.

" He's frisky " Felix said as he ran show sheen over the mares coat, making the light bay hairs pop and the dark hairs on her leg's shine. The white markings she sported glowed in the bright barn lights overhead and I self consciously looked back at Onyx, but my boy's dapple grey coat sparkled, evidence of the over-prep I had put him through last night out of nerves.

I smiled and looked back at Felix. " He's always this way before a show, just wait until we warm up, you'll want to keep at least a 30 foot distance " I half joked. " But I'm hoping he won't lose focus "

" Rio was the same way at our first Puissance show, now I think she's just bored with everything going on " He replied as he gave her a sugar cube, tossing one to me to feed Onyx.

He gobbled it up greedily and I went back to grooming.

" 10 minutes until we need to start warming up " Felix called to me.

" I can be there in five minutes tops " I challenged.

He smirked. " Okay then, last one in has to buy victory food after we win "

I felt my face get hot. He wanted to go out with me after?

" A-And if we lose? " I couldn't help myself stuttering.

" Then we eat a ' good try ' meal " He replied.

I laughed as I left Onyx's stall. " Watch him while I grab my tack? "

Felix already had his tack set up on the hooks and racks on the wall. He nodded and motioned me away.

I almost broke into a jog as I made my way to the tack room, dodging horses left and right and centre.

As soon as I entered the tack room, I froze.

Vicky was tracing her perfectly manicured nails over my saddle, a saddle I spent an hour cleaning last night.

" What are you doing in here? This tack room is for J.O.P.S riders only! " I said as I walked over to her.

She ignored me, now moving her nails to my bridle. " It's nice tack, a bit heavy for jumping don't you think? "

I rolled my eyes. " It's a cross-country saddle, it's thin and lightweight "

She smirked. " It's not as lightweight as the new saddle my parents had made for me and Diamond "

And there it is, the bragging. Vicky got Diamond, a beautiful all white Hanoverian, Trakehner cross after selling her other mare Libra when she ' didn't preform to standards ' at another show. The mare was feisty and mean, just like Vicky.

" This saddles so thin you feel like your riding bareback, it barely has any weight at all and will really help us sail over that wall " Vicky continued to brag.

I scooped up may tack. " Just get out and go get ready to lose " I spat, watching as she held her head high and walked out. Once she was gone I triple checked all my tack to make sure she hadn't done anything to it, because I knew Vicky. She would seriously risk a horse and rider if it meant she was going to win.

I ran this time back to Felix, who had Rio all tacked up.

" What took you so long? " He asked, giving me a confused look as he held his arms out for me to put my tack on.

" Sorry! " I replied as I opened Onyx's stall door, putting the stall guard up so Felix could hand me my tack. I placed my thickest white saddle pad and half pad on his back before the saddle. Checking the girth and my stirrups once more before I finished and Felix then handed me the bridle. Onyx sensed my tension and raised his head, snorting.

I took a breath and calmed myself, thinking back to the song Felix had me listen to that night.

I calmly got Onyx to lower his head and put the bridle on, checking to make sure Vicky hadn't loosened her twisted anything. I had decided to go with a stronger bit just for this competition. Felix had suggested it, saying it would give me more control before and after the jumping. So I choose a new full cheek snaffle with a chain underneath along with a flash noseband. Onyx wouldn't like it, but I knew I could control my hand enough for it not to be tugging in his mouth the whole time.

Once I was ready to go, Felix and I pulled off our winter clothes and revealed our show clothes. We both chose bright red jackets with white breeches and black boots and half chaps.

We stopped at the arena entrance and I took another breath, suddenly jumping when I felt something brush my arm. I turned to see Felix's hand on my elbow. He gave me a reassuring smile, which shifted to a smirk.

" Don't tell me your getting cold feet now, after everything we went through? " He teased, digging into my competitive side.

I smirked back at him. " No! Let's just go already! "

And I slid open the door.