167 | part three

maisie had made it back to england in one piece after getting a phone call from her sister about joe.

the whole situation made maisie laugh. it was just their luck that they'd both decide to visit the other at the same time.

it made her remember how much of a mistake this all was. all of this could have been prevented if maisie's insecurities didn't get in the way.

"hey," she said quietly as she entered her house, looking exhaustedly warn away after the last few days.

joe and maisie caught eyes and automatically she walked up the stairs with her bag knowing full well that joe was behind her.

as soon as they got into her room and she closed the door, joe started to speak,

"i'm so sorry. i love you so much maisie and i can't imagine how i made you feel," he started. she was about to interrupt but shut her mouth when she saw he had more to say.

"i want to explain, fully.- amelia and i broke up on good terms, we were high school sweethearts, i thought she was my first love," he sighed, "my family loved her like their own so as we were still good friends, she'd see my sisters and mom quite often. i mean it is weird but," he chuckled with a shrug, trying to lighten the mood,

"she came over when i went back there and things were just... weird. she was acting different around me and something just felt off. the next day she asked to meet at this little coffee shop and i said yes, not thinking much of it. she explained to me there that she still loved me and hoped i still felt the same- i told her i didn't and she started slating my relationship with you, telling me it was fake and that i was the one she needed.

"i told her it wasn't true and that i wasn't in love with her. i was getting angry because she just kept going on about it. i got up and went outside to let off some steam because i didn't want to get too angry, and then she came out tearful and apologised.

"i forgave her, how could i not? i felt bad and we had been through so much. i went to give her a hug and then she completely mugged me off and kissed me." he let out a breath after explaining it all, he felt like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders once he told her what really happened.

silence.

"in the photo, you can see she's looking straight at the camera with a look on her face. almost like she knew what she was doing and what trouble she was gonna cause. i'm so sorry maisie. i wouldn't ever do anything purposely to jeopardise our relationship or hurt you. you know that, right?"

silence. joe sighed kind of giving up, but not quite.

"i do, joe." she finally spoke, "i love you so much it makes me feel weird. i can't explain how much love i have for you its crazy. everything feels so weird and i don't know how to handle shit like this. i knew you wouldn't do anything to hurt me, maybe thats why i reacted the way i did. i'm so insecure, joe. i feel like i'm not good enough for you or that you'll soon find out that you deserve better and leave me. i love you so much, it's killing me," she admitted, a small tear rolling down her cheek.

his thumb brushed over her the tear on her cheek, looking at the girl he loved with a soft gaze. "i love you maisie. you are more than good enough for me. my chest explodes when i'm around you and i feel so happy- so happy i can't even comprehend. i know you feel insecure, i do too. you're beautiful and relationships make people vulnerable. but i would never do anything to hurt you purposely maisie. i love you too much to see you like this. i never wanna see you like this," he said to her.

tears were flying down her face at this point, she let out a chuckle, "fuck i'm such pathetic mess," she said shaking her head.

"but you're my pathetic mess, i wouldn't change you for the world."