~Treehouse~ (part one)

This is just gonna be a short little story about the New Order and their new lives, set just a little while before s2

I have no plan for this, as per freaking usual. I'm not sure if this is canon with the Author trilogy or not because if it was, it would be set after WoWE and might have some spoilers. We'll see when I get there though ¯\__/¯

Couldn't decide who I want the first chapter to be from so let's just go with...Jesse. Yeah.

--------------------

Jess had spent hours in that treehouse.

Hours upon hours of training, reading, and simply living. Before the Witherstorm, she, Axel, and Olivia had lived in the treehouse together for years. It had been destroyed by the Witherstorm, but they had reconstructed it. Petra and Lukas had lived with them for a time while the rest of the town was rebuilt, but then they had all moved into their new temple, and Jesse hadn't visited the treehouse since.

She sighed, sitting down on the blue bed that had been hers. It had been years-years-since she had come here. She had almost forgotten what the inside looked like.

Funny how life could do that to you. Hours turn into days, days into months, months into years, and before you know it, your whole lives have slipped away.

Her duties in Beacontown had kept her busy. Very busy. No matter how she tried to deny it, it was clear that she was in charge. She had never had a problem with being a leader, but this...this was different. Leading the charge into a fight or making decisions in the heat of adventure, that was her forte. She didn't have an experience with leading a town.

But the Beacontowners didn't seem to care. In their eyes, she could do no wrong. It was true, she had done some pretty impressive things. And she liked that the stories of their adventures had spread so much, had practically become legends of their own. This blind admiration, however...it made her feel a bit odd. There was no doubt she was powerful now, but from her experience, power always came with consequences.

Was this the consequence? Not having time to herself? Not being able to hold on to the present, much less the past? It hadn't seemed like that bad of a price, but paying it was slowly taking a toll on her.

Jesse laid back, closing her eyes against the gentle dawn sun. This wasn't the first time she had done something like this, crept away at sunrise to get a few moments alone. She couldn't remember the last time she had been totally free, with no responsibilities or worries. When had things changed? Why had they changed?
She had stopped thinking about that, some time ago. At some point, she had just slipped into the haze of a daily routine, and time had completely gotten away from her. Days passed without much or any change, and they all blurred together after a while.

That's why she came back, to the treehouse where it all began. She had gotten sick and tired of the monotony, the years of forgetting who she had been and yet being reminded every day, the constant pain of knowing that everything had changed, but not knowing when or why.

New people had been coming to Beacontown every day, having heard of the town's growing popularity or just wanting to visit the town where the great Order of the Stone lived.

That was a lie.

The Order didn't live there, not anymore. Jesse was the only one who did. Olivia and Axel were in Redstonia and Boomtown, respectively, each living their own lives. Lukas lived by himself, just a little ways outside of Beacontown. Jesse wasn't sure where Petra had gone. She still visited sometimes, but never said a lot. Jesse was a little worried about her, to be honest. She didn't seem like the same bold, confident, dauntless warrior she had been in years prior.