praying that i could be more

Jesse straightens up as she reaches the top of the hill, looking down at the wrecked entrance of the Order's temple. Though it must be said, it isn't quite as wrecked as it had been before. The gaping hole of an entrance is patched messily up with cobblestone and dirt blocks, which Jesse takes to mean that Axel and Petra have returned before them.

"Well! That's certainly something." Ellegaard remarks. Jesse doesn't bother saying anything, jumping down to the lower ground where the temple starts.

Lukas seems to have drawn the same conclusions as her. "So, at least we know Axel and Petra are here...but did they succeed in getting Magnus? And is...has Olivia made it?"

Jesse shakes her head. "I don't know." she mutters.

This has all been so much harder without Olivia. Not just the adventuring bit, though that's been difficult enough. She and Lukas managed to get to Redstonia and find Ellegaard fine, though things were a little patchier since neither of them had much knowledge of Redstone.

No, the hardest part is living with the guilt. The knowledge that she's made a massive mistake, and that the effects of it aren't going to just go away.

She's still clinging on to the hope that Gabriel and Olivia will somehow make it to the temple. She knows the probability is low, considering how much she's thrown out of balance, but that little slice of hope is all she has at the moment.

They walk into the dim interior of the temple, and Jesse is hit with a strong wave of deja-vu. Last time, Lukas had opened the door for them, and Petra had been just inside, waiting for them to return.

There's no one there now.

"My goodness. This place has certainly seen better days." Ellegaard comments, looking forlornly at the dilapidated entryway.

"It's been a long time since you were here, huh?" Lukas asks.

The Redstone engineer nods, a thoughtful look crossing her face. "Yes, it has. I've completely lost track."

Jesse catches herself before she mutters something damning about how time has a mind of its own in that way. She grits her teeth as they head down the stone hall and up the flight of stairs to the second level.

The beginnings of sunset casts a warm yellow glow through the wall-less room, but Jesse isn't in the mood to appreciate the sights. She glances quickly around, and her shoulders slump with relief when she sees Axel talking to Magnus at the far end of the room.

Petra, who was sitting on the long table that all the levers rested on, jumps up and hurries over to them. "Hey, guys! You made it!"

"Why wouldn't we?" Lukas asks as she pulls him into an immediate hug.

"Oh jeez, I dunno, maybe the Witherstorm?" she shoots back good-naturedly.

Axel and Magnus hurry over, and Jesse says, "Well, we did have a run-in with the thing. It...kinda destroyed Redstonia. But we managed to make it out. Obviously." she finishes, feeling somewhat lame. She wants to ask if there's been any sign of Olivia or Gabriel, but can't seem to form the words.

Ellegaard and Magnus eye each other distrustingly. Jesse was more careful this time, making sure to warn Ellegaard that the other member of the Order was going to be there. She'd instructed Axel and Petra to tell Magnus as well, and they apparently had. Even though he didn't exactly look happy, at least it wasn't a surprise.

"Oh, hoo-ray! It's Ellie. And here I was just starting to enjoy myself." Magnus says dryly.

"Hello, Magnus. Your voice is exactly as pleasant as I remember. Which is to say, not at all." is her biting response.