Chapter 4

The scent of incenses pervaded all the corners of the room. The florid colored muslins swayed with the gentle wind coming from the open window. An enormous mahogany wooden bed was located at the center, where it was hidden behind the screens. Two girls were taking their turns fanning and wiping the sweats of the unconscious person on the bed. A middle aged woman came in holding a tray of hot medicine. There were traces of worry and confusion on her face.

"Did Empress really behave unusual?" Mama Tang asked setting the tray on the table near the bed.

Xiao Yan and Xiao Qu nodded. "Niang Niang also muttered unusual questions, and if this servant wasn't mistaken it was about His Majesty Emperor Qin." Xiao Yan recalled how Niang Niang had been acting that morning beyond the norm.

"What did the Empress ask?" Mama wrinkled her brows upon hearing Xiao Yan's words.

Xiao Yan pursed her lips first before continuing, "Niang Niang asked where was she, what dynasty was this, and who was the reigning Emperor." Xiao Yan  hastily bowed her head, not wanting to see Mama Tang's grim expression.

"Did those words really come from the Empress' mouth?" Her voice turned lower, as her eyes darted from the two maids bowing their heads.

Xiao Yan replied not daring to meet the woman's eyes, "Niang Niang really said it. This servant doesn't dare to lie."

"This servant also heard it from Her Highness' mouth." Xiao Qu said.

"What did really happen for her to behave so unusual? Why was she in the Wind Lotus Pavilion?" Mama Tang fixed her eyesight on two girls.

"Her Highness fell in the Lotus pond!" Unable to think straight, Xiao Qu's words made Mama Tang furious.

"What?!"

Xiao Yan pulled Xiao Qu down to kneel and kowtowed. They couldn't escaped punishment this time for Empress' life was at stake. Xiao Yan quickly explained that morning's happenings to Mama Tang in details.

Hearing the maid explained, Mama Tang brows eased a little, however the sharpness was still visible making the two girls unable to breath relief.

"Who has the guts to go against the Esteemed Empress Dowager and the Ning Clan! You two stay here, I'll report this to the Empress Dowager. Don't let anyone come in and lock the door."

Mama Tang hastened her speed to the Empress Dowager Back Palace leaving the two petrified girls with the unconscious Ning Lou. Xiao Qu made sure no one was eavesdropping before closing the door.

"Yan'jie, will us servants put to death? I'm scared. I don't want to be torture and feed to the dogs." These two girls have seen a lot during their five months of service. Lots of the maid have gone missing, framed and put to death. Xiao Yan has been the one taking care of Xiao Qu and they long treated each other as siblings.

"Quiet down. Niang Niang is still unconscious, and so they have to wait for her statement. Mama Tang won't pinned the blame on us. They need to investigate this matter secretly because the Empress's reputation is at stake. At most, will be scolded and have our salaries deducted. So, Qu'mei calmed down and let Big Sister Xiao Yan handle this."

Xiao Qu stopped her sobbing and looked at Xiao Yan's clear eyes. For some reason, she believed her. It has been many times when Yan'jie had been taking care of matters alone and she really did what she promise.

"There you go, no matter what they ask. Qu'mei just needs to say that we didn't know that Niang Niang went to the pond and by the time we found her, she already fell. Us servants helped Niang Niang out of the pond. Us servants didn't know why Niang Niang behaved unusual. Qu'mei, other that, you just need to say 'I don't know'."

Xiao Qu nodded and wiped her tears. She then looked at Xiao Yan and flashed a smile. Xiao Yan returned her smile looked at Niang Lou's brows that was creasing.

"Niang Niang!"

They both knelt beside the bed looking extremely anxious at Ning Lou.

Meanwhile, Ning Lou's eyelashes fluttered, and opened, but she could only see blurred images of her surroundings. She brought her hand on her forehead and touched the gauze wrapped around it. Grinding her teeth, another wave of headache came. Her throat was parched like the sands in the Sahara desert. Clenching her fist, she stretched it aiming for some glass of water on the cupboard. Feeling some sort of ceramics on the tip of finger, she brought it to her lips. Drops of green liquid stained the white linen on the bed.

Upon intake, her half opened eyelids abruptly unfolded. Ning Lou spewed the horrible 'water'. A crashing sound echoed inside the room.

"Who put a toilet water on the cupboard? Come and face this Aunt, I promise I won't hit you."

Xiao Yan and Xiao Qu both were startled from Ning Lou's words and the broken bowl on the floor. Her Highness is angry!

Bowing her head, Xiao Qu with a panicked voice answered Ning Lou; "Your Highness, Mama Tang called the Imperial Physician to brew Your Highness some hot medicine to nourish Your Highness' Phoenix body." She couldn't answer more for she didn't understand Her Highness' words.

Upon hearing the cute voice, Ning Lou squinted her eyes and looked over to two kneeling on the floor. It was not a dream? She really did transmigrate into some unknown dynasty.

Ning Lou's eyes flash with unknown light. With a new task in her mind, Ning Lou got off the bed and started to reprimand both of the girls. Recalling the empresses roles in the dramas she watched, she tried to be in character. Clearing her throat, a deep resounding and authoritative voice came out of her vocal chords.

"As the personal maids of Bengong, do you admit your mistakes?" Ning Lou raised her voice looking over the girl with two buns.

Xiao Qu trembled and unconsciously tapped Xiao Yan. Xiao Yan was shocked for a moment listening to Ning Lou's tone. It wasn't the same childish voice Niang Niang would used when she would order them around. The presence of Niang Niang now was in par with the Empress Dowager, even she was fidgeting a bit.