Chapter 9

Dedicated to sitinadhirahmuda BlankSheathe

Ning Lou was fascinated by the Physician's actions. With an anticipated smile, she leaned nearer on the curtain waiting for the diagnosis.

"The Empress only needs to rest for a few days due to the imbalance of energies in the body. Tang-Mama needs to place in fire stoves inside to fasten the recovery. In the meantime, the kitchen can prepare nourishing meals."

Ning Lou was amazed. The physician only took the her pulse and he can already conclude her condition. She really wanted to clap. Those Chinese period dramas didn't lie at all. Experiencing it first hand was worth it. Then, If the doctor can determine the patient's condition through pulse, Ning Lou will have to know what pulses signifies what kind of condition. She wants to be 'terminally ill' in the eyes of these individuals to execute her plan.

Imperial Physician was about to let go his two fingers on thin gauze when Empress' pulse quickened. This time he was genuinely focused. He closed his eyes and tried to find a cause. Gesturing Tang-Mama again, he gave another diagnosis.

"On the second thought, the Empress has a problem in the circulation of the energies. The imbalance of energies are causing the Empress' body to heat up. The kitchen needs to prepare some food rich in yin."

Ning Lou only understand the word 'heat up' in the Physician's statement. Nodding her head behind the curtains, she made sure to remember it. Quick pulse rates equals to fever.

Xuanji was about to write a prescription when the Empress' pulse begun to weaken. His eyes bulged and the fingers that was on the thin gauze trembled. What kind of illness induced a patient's pulse to be abnormally inconsistent? Closing his eyes again, Xuanji put all his focus in examining.

Peng...Peng...Peng

The Empress' pulsation was beating in intervals of 3 seconds. Within his year of examining patients, only people belonging to the two conditions possessed this kind of pulse. If he was not mistaken, one should be either poisoned or in the verge of dying. He swallowed the lump on his throat and begun to sweat in a profuse manner. If something happens to the Empress this day, he couldn't imagined what will become of him and his family. Even the past accomplishments couldn't save him. Who doesn't know that the Esteemed Empress Dowager dotes on this Empress so much.

Tang-Mama observed the Physician's serious expression and she begun to be curious inside. She couldn't be help but questioned the Physician. "Imperial Physician Xuanji, is there anything more?" Seeing the startled response from the Physician, Tang-Mama was taken aback. Tang-Mama had seen Imperial Physician Xuanji examined someone pulse, he was always calm, contrary to his unusual actions a moment ago, Tang-Mama had gotten some hints of the cause.

"Imperial Physician Xuanji, forgive this Old servant for intruding, but what is really the Empress' condition?"

Ning Lou leaned in forward noticing the tone of the woman outside. Is slowing the pulse means something grave?

Xuanji tensed once more causing him to stutter. His fingers never left Ning Lou's pulse hoping for some changes. Swallowing the nervousness on his throat, he turned to Tang-Mama. "This...This..." He motioned for Tang-Mama to get closer again trying to make the matter confidential as possible.

Tang-Mama immediately set forth and lent her ear to the Physician.

"Before this, did the Empress showed any signs of vomiting blood or any liquid?"

Stiffening up, she glanced at the physician's face to confirm if she misheard it. Seeing the urgency on his face, she shook her head to refute. Just then, Tang-Mama only thought the Empress caught a cold from falling into the pond and nothing grave as much, so she couldn't understand what made the Physician serious.

"The Empress' pulse showed signs of being poisoned. It's getting weaker by the minute. Interrogate the people who was had closed contact with her, and asked if something unusual happened for the last five hours?"

Tang-Mama's breathing quickened after listening to the Physician, but she didn't made a fuss and dissmissed the other mamas, leaving her, Xuanji, and the two maids; Xiao Qu and Xiao Yan.

Ning Lou inside was long bored from waiting, so she turned her attention to her newly acquired 'boobs'. Dammit, these pieces of meats would only get in my way, there's no benefits at all.

Back in the modern world, Ning Lou had an androgynous physique which made swindling an easy feat. Whether it was changing identities, escaping through railings, Ning Lou's unique physique was proven advantageous.

She was currently immersed in herself that the sudden sound from outside startled her a little.

"Niang Niang did vomit blood. Nubi thought that Niang Niang was only pretending that time to escape. So, Nubi didn't tell the matter. Nubi ask for forgiveness Tang-Mama. Nubi didn't know anything."

"Her Highness was perfectly fine awhile ago. Her Highness even talked to us servants. Didn't she Yan'jie? She even smiled and..." Xiao Qu was about to continue when she recalled the last sentence she said.

"Wait 'she smiled'?... " Xiao Qu halted and thought of what she said. As if strike by lightning, her eyes went wide and met Xiao Yan's eyes as well. On cue, the two stared at the physician's face.

Xuanji continued, "Besides from vomiting blood, what else happened?" His questioned directed to Xiao Yan.

"Niang Niang's body was also in pain. But, Nubi really didn't know the matter aboit Niang Niang being ill." Xiao Qu started to tremble hearing Xiao Yan's words.

"Tang-Mama, are we going to be in trouble?" The scared Xiao Qu was paled liked paper.