Chapter 6

"What are you two waiting for? Drag those two out! I can't tolerate servants that are disobedient." The old woman commanded the two first ranked maids behind them. The maids strode forward not before paying respects to the stunned Ning Lou in front.

However, Tang-Mama's next words made the two maids standstill. "Empress Dowager doesn't need to mind such trivial matters, let this old bones take care of it." Patting the wrinkled hand of the old lady, she glanced at the two maids and smiled to the Empress Dowager. If you keep firing maids who's going to serve the Empress again? Those two inside are the ones who survived the longest. This old body of mine can't take any more time to train new maids!

Without waiting for the Dowager's response, Tang-Mama continued, "The Empress needs to recuperate after soaking in the cold water. It is best for the Empress to get some rest first, right Empress Dowager?"

The Old Lady didn't pressed the matters anymore and turned to Ning Lou with a gentle smile, "Aija was very worried for you after hearing from Tang-Mama what happened. You need to take care of your body first especially when the weather this days is getting colder." The old lady held Ning Lou's cold hands.

The two maids retreated feeling Tang-Mama's gaze on their forms.

"Look at your cold hands child, let's get you warm up inside. Tang-Mama order the kitchen to make some hot congee for the Empress." The old woman's voice was sweet as honey carrying some warmth for the stunned receiver.

When Ning Lou heard her speak again , she was absolutely terrified. This old lady doesn't only looked like that person, they even have the same voice. The sweet words didn't reach Ning Lou's ears before she stepped back and looked at the woman fearfully.

The old woman also halted observing Ning Lou's unusual behavior. The past Ning Lou would always call her grandma whenever Ning Lou sees her. The latter would always have some complains and wishes like a three year old child. However at this moment, not only the Dowager didn't hear her call  'Grandma', Ning Lou also just stood and looked at the Dowager with some fear in her eyes.

The other three furrowed their brows noticing the strange atmosphere between the two.

"Lou'er, can you invite Aija inside your sleeping quarters to spend some time with you. Aija misses you a lot." For some reason, the Old Lady felt at loss observing her expression. This child's gaze was akin to someone who saw a ghost. Why is this child giving her such gaze?

She didn't mishear it! They have the same voice! She cursed under her breath for the dog sh*t luck she has. After transmigrating, she met also someone in her past life.  If this was the case, can the heavens also send that four-eyed Shu over here for a happy reunion, because it was really unfair for her part!

Ning Lou let out a series of fake coughs, while looking at the old woman with the corner of her eye. Surprisingly, the old woman's expression was genuine as she stared at Ning Lou. Ning Lou felt a little relief witnessing the warmth emotions on the Old Lady's eyes. However, she still put on her guard. Patting her overgrown chest, she let herself calmed down by breathing slowly.

"Did the Imperial Physician prescribe any medicine for Lou'er? If Lou'er gets any cold, none of you can't get away from the consequences!" The Old Lady turned to Tang-Mama.

Tang-Mama turned to the two startled maids before giving out instructions. Tang-Mama has been familiar with this Old Lady's temperament. This Old Lady can be ruthless and frightening like the cold storm in the winter, however the moment Empress' name is mentioned, she would be smiling like a flower having a taste of spring time.

Ning Lou paused her suspicions and decided to confront the doppelganger. That's right! She was in a different body and in an era deprived of advanced technology, and so there's no way that the Old Lady would be Madam Ling Shi!

Smiling radiantly, Ning Lou approached the Old Lady and hugged her while whispering some coaxing words at the Old Lady's ear. Ning Lou's acting ability resurfaced.

"Lou'er also missed Aija that's why Lou'er was so excited to see Aija. But, Lou'er didn't know that Aija will come visit instead and it suprised Lou'er a lot."

Patting Ning Lou's back, the Old Lady deepened her face in Ning Lou's embrace. "Aija is happy to hear Lou'er's thoughts. Did Lou'er suffer a scare when Aija was not around? Tell Aija who dared to bully my Lou'er. Aija will get justice for you." The Old Lady was full of concerns.

The pats from the Old Lady stiffened Ning Lou. Every pat was like a hammer pounding Ning Lou's guilty conscience repeatedly. Such kind words sounded like sarcasm to Ning Lou, especially when it came from someone she offended in the past. Old Lady, can you stop it already? I won't bother you if you won't make things difficult for me ah!

Ning Lou swallowed her inner grievance and adjusted her tone in a gentle pitch. "How could Lou'er let someone bully her. Lou'er isn't a child anymore. Rest assured Aija, from now on Lou'er won't bother you with troublesome matters." Ning Lou finished her sentence with a indescribable gaze thoroughly hiding her anxious heart. I won't bother you, so don't come looking for me. Seeing your face is like seeing the torture chamber of the Federal Bureau!

All at once, the Empress Dowager and her company were shocked to the core. That declaration Ning Lou said was hard to digest. They were expecting Ning Lou to take advantage of Empress Dowager's kindness and report her grievances but the reality before them was completely opposite. Did the sun rise from the west or they possibly heard her wrong?

Concealing her astonishment, the Old Lady declined Ning Lou's request. "This child is really sensible. No matter what, Aija is your grandma, so Lou'er need not to worry of such things. Even if it was a small matter, Aija will take her time to listen to you." This child's temperament had suddenly changed, especially her eyes that held so much depths that even the Dowager, herself could not decipher. It seemed she missed a lot of things during her seclusion in the temple.

Ning pursed her lips and recalled the Old Lady from the modern world. These two are really alike, very persistent! It if was not for the ancient hanfu you're wearing, I would have mistaken you as Madam Ling Shi! Very well, I still have a lot of ways to make you leave.