Chapter 12

There seemed to be needles pricking Tang-Mama's heart as she listened to the Empress' soft cries. Although, the Empress was such a troublemaker, she wasn't evil-hearted, this girl only tried to seek attention. She remembered the day when Empress Dowager emphatically told her about the Empress personal matters, and how Prime Minister Ning Zheng mistreated the Empress due to a new madam that have been married into the manor. Ning Zheng ( Nl's father) believed the concubine all the time, while casting the poor little girl on the corner, and ever since the Empress Dowager pampered Ning Lou endlessly after she (Dw) was reprted of it, causing Ning Zheng to stop his mistreatments for fear of offending the Dowager.

Tang-Mama couldn't stop the trail of thoughts pouring her mind as she listened to heartbreaking cries.

"This servant only inquired the Empress' wellbeing. The Imperial Physician hasn't conclude anything yet." She rebuked in hopes to lighten the Empress' mood. Tang-Mama doesn't have a family outside the palace, or a husband to attend to, that's why she has grown fondness on this spoiled child, treating her (NL) as her own.

"Really? What has the Imperial Physician told Tang-Mama?" Ning Lou brightened her tone as if a child who had received a candy after getting her injection.

"This... This servant will personally let the Imperial Physician inform Your Highness." Tang-Mama chose her words wisely, taking into account that any slightest mention of illness might trigger the Empress to throw a tantrum.

Just as his name was uttered by Tang-Mama, Xuanji threw her (TM) a hateful glare. This woman was throwing him towards the tiger's mouth. That Empress had the mentality of a child, then if he start stating the diagnosis, this Empress would buzzed with pleas and cries. Every time, he was to examine the Empress, he would go home mentally exhausted, and now after the assessment, Xuanji could visualized himself fainting on the spot. Amitabha, Did I cause a dynasty's downfall in my past reincarnation that let me crossed paths with this Empress!

Ning Lou continued to play along. "Then, quickly summon the Imperial Physician over." Her voice laced with unease.

"The Imperial Physician is already inside the room. Shall this servant let him start again examining Your Highness' pulse?" Tang-Mama's eyes shone with harsh light as it landed on the physician' wary face.

"Have him examine Bengong's pulse this instance!" Ning Lou exclaimed wanting to get it done immediately. She was partly tired as well from all that had happened.

Xuanji braced his old self, looking drained and uptight. He knelt again beside the screen looking at the hand that was covered by a gauze. His brows begun to crease, as the previous tension clouded his focus.

"Nucai is here and shall do what the Empress asked." His hand quivered as it inch towards the silky gauze.

When his fingers touched the beating pulse, his heart momentarily skipped a beat, preparing for another scare, however he didn't expect it to turn out like this. The pulse had reverted back to hong mai, floating, like a wave coming onto the shore with force and retreating without force. Xuanji maintained his position to confirm it he was indeed right.

After a few seconds, the Empress' was still Hong Mai, calming the sea of uncertainty in the Physician. He let a breath and knelt again. "Nucai would like to ask Your Highness some questions first."

Tang-Mama observed Xuanji's every movements, too skeptical and dithery. She was looking at him, trying to punch a hole in his head. The second you mumbled a medicine plant, this old lady will not hesitate to strangle you!

Ning Lou had an amused grin all the time, because every time she was displaying an act, she couldn't keep herself from the enthusiasm building inside. Her ears would perked jauntily heaped with attentiveness, like a recording device it will perceived the surroundings of any sounds. One must know, in conning, it better to have silver ears than a silver tounge!

"What does the Imperial Physician wants to ask Bengong?"

"Nucai would like to know if Your Highness is feeling very hot? Is Your Highness' robes also soggy from excessive sweating. I also noticed Your Highness is thirsty?"

Ning Lou raised her voice producing a surprised pitch, "The Imperial Physician has foresight, Bengong do seemed a little uncomfortable. My back and forehead are dripping with beads of sweat! And yes, Bengong is thristy all of a sudden. What does it mean?"

Tang-Mama showed a look of suprise which was spotted by Xuanji. Xuanji's previous proud demeanor resurfaced, his spoken words were now filled with pride.

"Your Highness is experiencing internal heat due to the excess floating Yang drying the yin's internal pool." Xuanji explained brimming with confidence.

Ning Lou paid complete attention to the Physician's articulation. His words were now delivered smoothly, which is very different from his previous choppy and hesitant statements. He stutters every time I changed the rhythm of the pulse, his breath will be be shaky, as if he was troubled. He spoke hurriedly whenever that Tang-Mama questioned my state, but now after I settled it to a steady pace, he uttered his words filled with vigor. This man seemed to value reputation a lot and will not accept any faults! Isn't some men like that, they are full ego! Speaking of men, I can't find any information referring to the incumbent emperor. When I tried to compare the painting scrolls and history annals in a chinese gala I sneaked in, I can't help but think of this body's statistics...

(A.N. Give yourself a pat on the back if you understood the meaning of the last phrase... XD )

Ning Lou shuddered at her thoughts. That's why I needed to get out of here soon!

"Is the Imperial Physician implying Bengong is sick? It couldn't be a terrible disease. Bengong has been taking care of her health well. It was only a dip on the pond! How could it result to something grave!" Ning Lou spoke hurried, stifling some tiny sounds.

Tang-Mama was about to console the Empress, when Xuanji beat her to it, "Your Highness needn't to worry. Nucai assures that by increasing the water intake and regulating the meals- serving some food rich in yin, Your Highness' body will returned to its previous state. I will also concoct an effective medicine, and If there wouldn't be any more hindrance, in three day's time, Your Highness can take a stroll again."

Ning Lou rubbed her chin in deep thought. Three days time can be enough, I just need to create excuses to distract these pesky nuisance!

-----------

Bonus chapter...

I can already see pitchforks and spears, are they for me??😰😰