Chapter 7

"Lou'er is glad to have Aija around, however Lou'er is very worried as well that Aija might get sick being around Lou'er for so long. Lou'er hasn't recovered yet and needed more days to nurture the body. The sickness might flared up again and I might implicate Aija along." Ning Lou muttered in between fake coughs.

The Old Lady frowned and lightly held Ning Lou's cheeks. "How could Aija just stand and watch at the side when Lou'er is sick. Aija will not sleep peacefully knowing my Lou'er can't function well. I have only Lou'er as my granddaughter therefore Aija cannot bear to see you like this." The warmth feeling on that wrinkled hands stirred Ning Lou's hear a bit. Perhaps, it was because of the original host's lingering feelings that made her want to hugged this Old Lady in front of her for a short time.

Or perhaps because she was an originally an orphan who hasn't experience any familial love and care that after hearing those sincere words from the Old Lady in front of her, Ning Lou was in deep thoughts. It seemed that this Old Lady values the original host the most, and towards the original host this Old Lady will practically do anything within her power to satisfy the Original Empress' demands. Such a big thigh to hold on to, why was that dumb host not satisfied? What's better than having a luxurious life with good food and good wine?

Seeing Ning Lou hasn't replied yet, the Old Lady continued. "We should you get inside already, otherwise your cold might get worse. Come on, child." The Old Lady rubbed Ning Lou's cheeks in a heartfelt gesture and proceeded to hold Ning Lou's right hand planning to step in her sleeping quarters.

Ning Lou who was staring unblinking at the Old Lady's forehead begun to shed tears. "Don't make things difficult for Lou'er. Lou'er's conscience cannot bear to see Aija lay sickly on the bed. After Lou'er gets better, Lou'er will be able to see Aija often. Can Aija wait until a few more days."

"This child!... Fine, but the moment Lou'er needs something, Lou'er must call Tang-Mama to inform Aija immediately. I'll leave my people as well. Just promise me that you'll visit Aija after you recover?" The Old Lady touched Ning Lou's hands and used her hankerchief to wipe Ning Lou's tears.

Ning Lou finally sighed and smiled to the Old Lady. Just as she assumed, this Old Lady will prioritized the original host's wishes. Ning Lou felt guilty imagining how would the Old Lady react once she knew that her beloved Lou'er was no longer here. Sighing in her heart again, Ning Lou hugged the Old Lady one last time.

"Lou'er thanks Aija a lot. Don't worry Lou'er will surely pay a visit." Ning Lou gave out a cheshire smile.

"Then, Aija will go as well. Just remember what Aija told you. Aija will assigned Imperial Physician Xuanji to look over your condition." The Old Lady reminded Ning Lou and turned to instruct Tang-Mama.

"Tang-Mama, assigned some people to wait outside Ning Lou's sleeping quarters in case something happens. Have the Imperial Physician Xuanji come over the palace to examine Lou'er. And also pick some experienced Mamas to help in nursing Lou'er."

Mama Tang bowed acknowledging the Dowager's commands. "Yes, Empress Dowager. In the mean time, the Empress can wait inside while this servant will call the physician over."

"Hmm...Tang-Mama is right. Lou'er just needs to wait inside. Aija will take care of the rest. Recuperate well."

Ning Lou's cheshire smile was long stiff from the moment the Old Lady instructed the woman beside her. If Ning Lou would've known that the Old Lady will assigned more people to watch her movements, she would've not hesitate to invite the Old Lady inside the room and serve the Old Lady some tea herself. Gnawing her teeth, she deeply regretted what she'd done. It seemed that escaping will have to be postponed. She needs to familiarized herself first with the palace's blueprints before she can get out here. That way, she can maneuver her way out without alarming that Old Lady.

"Go on now, Lou'er need some rest." The Old Lady just stood, waiting for Ning Lou to close the doors.

Ning Lou smiled grinding her teeth in the process. She gripped the wooden doors so tight and closed it slowly. Her eyes never leaving the Old Lady's face.

When she was in closed doors, Ning Lou dropped her smile and mumbled inaudible curses. Her jaws were long numb from all the smiling and intense grinding. Her hands that were still gripping the wooden doors were beyond pale. She was putting her best in controlling herself.

But some thoughts may never be contained and so with a bitter look Ning released her hands and clenched them into fists. Raising them in shoulder level, she stuck her middle fingers towards the doors or more like...

Mumbling all the curses she knew, Ning Lou was about to shout 'F*ck' in her heart when a voice interrupted her. Ning Lou jolted and nearly loose her footing if it was not for the table beside her.

"Esteemed Empress, the Empress Dowager has assigned us servants to wait outside the Empress' sleeping quarters for any orders. Esteemed Empress can call on us servants anytime."

Ning Lou has yet to recover from shock when she heard another voice. "Esteemed Empress, this servant has also been tasked to cater the Empress' needs. This servant is at the Empress' disposal."

"A-Alright."

Ning Lou only managed to utter a word due to frustration. Such meticulous set up, she felt more like a detained jailer than a patient.

Succumbing to her defeat, Ning Lou could only kicked the foot of the table and flipped the statue. She was honestly going to flip the table, however the table seemed to be more expensive, and so she settled with the statue instead.

Recalling the words the Old Lady said, Ning Lou started to pace back and forth being extremely anxious. Even if she knew how to swindle people, she still needed some research beforehand to make the act believable. Unlike her situation now, she doesn't even have a single information about the original host's family. That Old Lady will surely talk about family matters once she 'recovered', and if that happens Ning Lou will be exposed.

Why do the memories have to be blurred?! Ning Lou suddenly missed Four-eyed Xu and his hacking skills. That fellow can access anyone's personal informations in the modern era, including medical records, social security numbers, social media accounts, cctv footages, and even military codes.

Ning Lou suddenly halted hearing some sudden footsteps approaching her room. With no other choice, she walked looking downcast to her bed. Staring at the luxurious bed, Ning Lou caught sight of the two 'punished' maids kneeling. She totally forgot about these two.

Tidying herself up, Ning Lou cleared her throat. "Bengong thinks that you have reflected enough. You can stand up and serve Bengong."

Xiao Qu and Xiao Yan brightened up hearing Ning Lou's command. Rubbing their aching knees, they continuously kowtowed to Ning Lou.

"This Nubi thanks Niang Niang for the magnanimity. May Niang Niang be blessed for thousands of years."

"Alright. Alright." Ning Lou sat by the bedside gesturing the maid.

"This servant also thanks Your Highness for the grace. May Your Highness and Ning Family be blessed with good fortune."

Ning Lou's ears perked up the second the maid mentioned 'Ning Family'. By any chance, are these two familiar with the Ning Family? If that's the case, then..

Rubbing her chin, Ning Lou spoke looking like she's mumbling to herself but with a louder pitch. "Now that you mentioned the Ning Family, I wonder how they're doing?"

Xiao Qu has always a chatterbox and so she disclosed what she knew about the Ning Family guessing that Her Highness must be homesick. She started blabbering about the new manor Ning Lou's father bought, the Second Young Master's matchmaking session with the Jing daughter, the new courtyard Laoye made for Ning Lou's deceased Mother, and so on. Xiao Qu only stopped when Xiao Yan nudged her.

Ning Lou who was listening at the edge of the bed was grinning the whole time.

--------------------------------------------
Mass release on December 31, Happy New Year!!!