Chapter 8

Dedicated to Moonlightfrost7 silentscarlettt

Xiao Qu who was nudged by Xiao Yan realized her action and apologized to Ning Lou. "May Your Highness forgive this servant's mouth. This servant was just worried that Your Higness might missed home." Xiao Qu was anxious, she don't want to get in Her Highness' bad side again after being pardoned from death.

"What forgiveness? Bengong isn't mad at you. Come and sit beside Bengong. Bengong is in the mood for a chat." I totally underestimated these maids'  gossip network. They've even beaten the reporters with the thorough informations. It would be good to have some confidants around the palace! Ning Lou then patted the silk mattress intending to invite the kneeling girl.

However, a shout came from the door, and it was from a familiar voice. "Esteemed Empress, the Imperial Physician request an audience." Outside, Tang-Mama stood beside an old man in a physician's robe, Imperial Physician Xuanji.

The Imperial Physician had an indifferent look on his face but inside he was sneering at Ning Lou. What was it this time? She fell ill from stupidity. The Old man was a revered personage in the medicine field and had served the past emperors for about 35 years. He held a prestigious position in the capital, and no official had dared to offend him. Amongst his greatest achievement was being able to contain the contagious epidemic in Luan Province. For this reason alone, the reigning emperor that time had promoted him to an Imperial Physician which elevated the status of his clan. He tasted a glorious life after receiving the title and acres of land. His career was going smoothly until Ning Lou appeared. If it wasn't for the Empress Dowager, he wouldn't even cast the incompetent girl a single glance.

However, Imperial Physician Xuanji couldn't voiced his grievance at the presence of Tang-Mama. He's been summoned multiple times in the span of one year to the palace because of the Empress. Even if it just a simple headache, or a pain in the tooth, he will be plauged by complains from the girl. But his dissatisfaction didn't stop there, there was one time when the Empress had kept him in the palace for entire day for a stomachache. To make the matters worst, it was his wife's birthday banquet. His wife scolded him and treated him like air for months, even if they were on good terms now, that one incident had stained their married life.

Staring at the all-familiar door, Xuanji felt contempt. He didn't have any good impression on this Empress. Aside from coming from a powerful clan and possessing good looks , there's was nothing worth to be praised.

Meanwhile, Ning Lou who was interrupted from the arrival of the physician drew her eyebrows into a thin line. I totally forgotten how to be sick. Do I have to bite my cheeks to spit out some blood again? I thought I will only suffer from bone cancer with smiling all day, who knew I could also die from blood loss. However, Ning Lou was slightly curious with the doctors in Ancient times. With the lack of a stethoscope and examining machines, how does these doctors make diagnosis?

"One of you should fetch the Imperial Physician over."

Lifting the silk blankets on the floor, Ning Lou laid on the bed, ready to be checked. A smile crept on her face recalling the maid's blabbering mouth.

Xiao Qu and Xiao Yan hurried over to lower the curtains and placed a screen. "Niang Niang, this servant will welcome the Imperial Physician."

"Go ahead." Ning Lou said while glancing at the other maid who was staring at the departing girl's back. I've still got my eyes on you, little bunny. Aunt will surely squeeze you dry.

As if Xiao Qu felt a cold gaze on her scalp, she turned around only to see Her Highness' sleeping face. Shaking the uncomfortable feeling a while ago, Xiao scurried to clean the shards on the floor. While at it, she brightened her smile and immersed herself from sorting the other gossips she picked up from the kitchen. In between of her work, her scalp would be tingling with unease causing her to turn her head around. But everytime, Xiao Qu would only see Her Highness peacefully sleeping.

(A.N. Xiao Qu, it's Santa Claus! There was no chimney in your place, so he went through the window.)

On the other hand, Xiao Yan took a deep breath before opening the door. Inclining her head, she received the people outside. "Niang Niang is resting. Nubi will lead the way."

Tang-Mama made a way for the Imperial Physician first before glancing at the Mamas she brought along.

Xuanji only 'humph' and strode forward to follow the maid. A total of five people entered Ning Lou's sleeping quarters; Xuanji, Tang-Mama, and three other mamas. Xiao Qu finished her task and stood beside Xiao Yan.

Tang-Mama got closer on the bed and lifted a corner of the curtains. Placing Ning Lou's hand gently at the edge of the bed, she covered it with a thin gauze for the physician to start his diagnosis.

Ning Lou blew the tendrils veiling her face. Peeking with one eye, she tried to observe the doctor's procedure. However, Ning Lou's eyesight couldn't get pass the thick curtains, thus she only sharpened her hearing.

Tang-Mama retreated to the side to give the physician some space. She then let the other mamas prepare the necessary things.

Xuanji reluctantly knelt and placed his two fingers at the thin gauzre. His face showed intense focus contrary to his inner thoughts. As expected, he was summoned for nothing again! He really wanted to stab the Empress hand with a needle right at the moment, but thinking of the consequences, the physician was left to sulk inside his heart. Offending the Empress is asking for a death wish. Chanting 'Amitabha' for couple of times, he gestured Tang-Mama to get closer.

--------------

Happy New Year!!