Chapter 10

Tang-Mama calmed herself down and asked Imperial Physician Xuanji. "Imperial Physician Xuanji, we servants are at your service. What are the Imperial Physicians instructions?"

"Bring me a candle, I need to sterilize the needle. We need to confirm if it was indeed poison."

Xiao Yan hurriedly brought the candle and assisted Xuanji.

Ning Lou yawned and nodded, while taking note of the Physician's diagnosis. Weakening pulsation indicates being poisoned. Tapping the mattress with her fingers, Ning Lou thought of the next pulsation

Again, for the third time, Ning Lou regulated the rhythm, stunning Xuanji in the process.

Xuanji lost hist footing and the needle on his hand grazed his robe. Dumbfounded and confused, he was unable to comprehend what was going on.

Tang-Mama bended and helped the Physician get on his feet. "Imperial Physician, the Empress is too young to die. Please do what you can to save the Empress. Anything you asked, this servant will report it to the Dowager. Rest assured, this servant will asked the Dowager for the access on the Imperial Treasury for any medicine , as long as the Empress lives."

Xuanji broke in sweat and sucked a large mouthful of air. I think I will be the one dead from constant heart attacks. This kind of pulse is impossible for any human being. Is the Empress being possessed or is it what those bunch called 'black magic'? As someone who despises heretic practice, Xuanji couldn't believe his own thoughts.

Xuanji stood and took the Empress' pulse again. During the third time Ning Lou had her pulse beating regular then quickening. Xuanji dropped his Physician's hat at the corner, and wiped the long accumulated sweats on his forehead.

Over the course of four hour, the four looked disheveled and restless. Xuanji was the worst of the group. Having been concocting medicine after medicine and crushing plants with mortar. His blue robe was filled with stains and redolent smells.

Tang-Mama's knees were aching from the running all over the place bringing what the Physician asked. The room was filled with different kinds of medicines and herbals plants. Water splattered on the floor and ceramics of all sizes disorganized on top of the cupboards and embellished tables.

Xiao Qu's one bun had come loosely and the green stains on her uniform were visible. Xiao Yan was no better, she lost one of her shoe on their way to the Imperial Treasury, the ends of her were also tattered and unkempt having accidentally fell on a mud pool.

Tang-Mama leaned herself on the wall due to exhaustion. Stretching her aching back, she forcefully lifted her feet and made her way to Xuanji on the foot on the bed, while bumping and stepping the mess. She was beyond impatient and irritated, after taking numerous turns from the Imperial Treasury all for the Physician to change his diagnosis everytime Tang-Mama went back. She needed to put a stop on this.

"I beg to you Physician. For one last time, can you make a clear diagnosis. The Empress' life is not a joke, so quit fooling around!" With bitterness and disappointment, Tang-Mama had addressed herself as 'I' and called Xuanji 'physician' despite the differences in their ranks, she had an angry look on her face as she glared on Xuanji's wary eyes.

"Do you think I'm fooling around! The Empress' pulse is shifting towards Chi Mai, Se Mai, Xu and then disappears whenever I tried to examine it further. I can't give you a thorough diagnosis at the moment!" Xuanji exclaimed facing Tang-Mama's fury. Xuanji was saying the truth, in the span of four hours he had recorded a total of 20 different pulse from the Empress' left hand alone. Some of them were indicating stagnation of qi, blood statis, indigestion, excess of heat, heart palpitations, and other acute illness. Encountering such an unusual situation, Xuanji liked to bashed his head. Isn't the pulses suggesting that the Empress has multiple disease, and if the Dowager might hear this matter and decided to keep it hidden, then there is a possibility Xuanji might be silenced. Between an official and the Empress, the Dowager would surely choose the latter.

In doing so, Xuanji could only endure Tang-Mama's piercing gaze and factual claims. After multiple examinations, Xuanji can't draw a clear conclusion. The Empress' abnormal pulsation was beyond his capability, he had tried acupuncture and moxibution, however none seemed to work. Despite failing to recognize the Empress' condition, Xuanji kept ordering the maids for medicinal ingredients for appearance sake.

"This servant thought that the 'Divine Doctor' Xuanji is able to cure any disease even just using one needle. He was said to be a benefactor of the previous Emperors and a Physician who never failed to determine any illness, but as this servant see it, Physician Xuanji is too old to accept patients anymore." Tang-Mama's mocking voice rang inside the room waking Xiao Qu who was leaning on her arms.

Xiao Qu's eyelashes fluttered seeing Tang-Mama behind the Imperial Physician. She hurriedly stood up and approached the two with her pink tinted cheeks flashed with embarrassment. She hadn't been aware that she slept at duty.

"This servant is here, does the Imperial Physician have any orders for this servant to do?"

Instead of the Physician, Tang-Mama's angered face gazed at Xiao Qu. Xiao Qu turned fidgety witnessing Tang-Mama's face. She turned to look around for XiaoYan, only to find her sitting on a stool, hanging her head down.

Tang-Mama didn't linger her eyes on Xiao Qu anymore. She switched her gaze on the Physician again. "The Physician Xuanji had served the the country well, and had accumulated a good amount of karma, it's best for the Imperial Xuanji to retire and spend the rest of Imperial Physician Xuanji's days at home." Tang-Mama spoke with visible ridicule.

Xuanji was angered but kept himself from throwing blatant insults. "This Humble Physician doesn't to accept Tang-Mama's praise. This is the Physician's responsibility, and it is of utmost honor to serve his Majesty and the people."

Tang-Mama's mouth slighty twitched hearing his indifference speech. Even his ears were impaired! Which part of him thought I'm praising?

"The Empress Dowager would surely be happy after hearing Imperial Physician's words." I'm done listening to your farce. Let the Empress Dowager handle you, and invite another capable physician.

The drowsy Ning Lou abruptly opened her eyes when she heard the wowan outside. She was so engrossed in the Doctor's knowledge that she forgot her own purpose. Sh*t, better stop the old lady before she calls Madam Ling Shi!