Chapter 13

After getting her desired results, Ning Lou didn't press the matter any further and immediately ordered the physician to write the prescription.

"That's good, Bengong will strictly follow the physician's instruction. If physician needs anything, you can tell Tang-Mama."

Upon the mentioning her name, Tang-Mama exhausted form tensed a bit and gave Xuanji a dissatisfied grunt before acknowledging Ning Lou's request. However, she didn't noticed the physician's stiff expression from the time Ning Lou opened her mouth. Who would long thought there won't be any arguments and whines after he gave his conclusion. Xuanji momentarily blanked out before standing up.

Meanwhile, the two maids also did their tasks, and not long after, Xuanji was brought over to a tidy table to write, whilst Xiao Qu grinded the ink and Xiao Yan piled the paper on the side.

Putting his distracted thoughts on the back of his head, Xuanji pick the brush and begun writing.

In the midst of so, the clattering sounds of those bowls being taken away and those hurried footsteps behind made him remember of the unprecedented happenings a hours ago. A strange uncertainty kept him unsettled until now which he decided to temporarily suppressed until he go home, in hopes his son will enlightened him.

Restoring his focus, he resumed his task quickly following the prescription in his memory to end the day. He couldn't stand staying another minute longer.

Ning Lou who was quietly listening in her bed begun to form plans in her mind, while casually considering the variables. Along the process, her thoughts drifted towards a certain place, flashing a strange light in her eyes. Afterwards, that little head lowered down hiding her expression.

Xuanji who was suddenly became lively examined the herbs that were already brought from the treasury and picked the ones that was necessary to concoct the medicine. He then passed the prescription to Tang-Mama and gave reminders before picking his medicine box, brushing his sleeves before leaving.

Tang-Mama didn't conceal the stern look on her face while listening to Xuanji. He didn't response and pretended to turn a deaf ear. It was after, Xuanji left the Phoenix sleeping quarters, did Tang-Mama approached Ning Lou, setting the screen aside.

"Empress, this servant shall withdraw for now. If Empress needs something, call for Little Qu and Little Yan.", Tang-Mama said in a gentle tone containing some sincere concerns.

"Then, please send my thanks to Grandmother for her care. Rest assured Lou'er will 'definitely recuperate' and will visit Grandmother when Lou'er recovers." Ning Lou said in a weak voice invoking a pity from Tang-Mama.

After a sigh escape her lips, she instructed the two maids to care for Ning Lou properly before leaving in a dreary fashion.

Once outside, she also instructed the attendants for errands before reassuring that everything is alright. Seeing that there was nothing more, she went her ways through the winding halls and paths finally arriving at the Loving Piety Palace entrance, her face had traces of worry.

There wasn't many staff in the Loving Piety Palace. The Empress Dowager has long loved the peaceful and serene environment place. The once powerful political figure had long retired from politics and devoted herself to seclusion, dismissing a lot of people that were personally handpicked by the Emperor. Other than the few ones who would come to pass on messages from the Emperor, and the Empress occasional visits the people were more or less ten.

Still, it was very good to keep it this way.

The Loving Piety Palace was the farthest among the seven palace and it was also the smallest in terms of the living arrangement. Occupying a few hundred meters of land, one would only need a few minutes to explore the entire place compared to the huge and vast palaces in the imperial land. But no matter how small the place was, no one belittled the old woman living here.

In one of the courtyard not far away from the entrance, Tang-Mama saw the old woman sitting on a reclining chair holding a bhuddist beads on her right hand. The old woman was entirely focused on her own chants, wrinkling her brows occasionally.

Tang-Mama silently walked forward and addressed the old woman with respect, "Empress Dowager, this servant has returned."

"Hmmm", the Empress Dowager nodded, dismissing the little attendant by her side.

It was until that maid was out of their sight that the Dowager opened her eyes, those gentle and doting look before was gone, like the edges of the sword those eyes were sharp.

"Let's discuss inside."

Tang-Mama supported the old woman and went inside the room.

Simple. The word that advocates the Empress Dowager's taste. Aside from a few calligraphy paintings from a well-known Taoist, and a partition painted with the landscape of the Yong Le mountains, there wasn't anymore artistic flare. Although the furnishings wasn't very expensive, it wasn't also low costs. There were also white muslin curtains fluttering from the wind blowing outside. A writing desk was located at the western side, a book shelves filled with scrolls and a incense burner at the center. It wasn't spacious but it also wasn't cramped.

Old Dowager took a sit on the couch facing the standing Tang-Mama. Although the room was poorly lit, it didn't hide the piercing light from those deep pools. If it wasn't for Tang-Mama being used to these gazes, she would long succumbed to the invincible pressure.

"How's Lou'er?", those two words were uttered very heavy upon travelling to Tang-Mama's ears.