Chapter 5

(this part in italics is a flashback.)

A brunet boy was laying on a medium size bed, staring up at the ceiling, his feet dangling a bit over the edge. He mouthed the words to a song coming out of the headphones in his ears. He didn't have any piercings in face and the multiple tattoos on his arms were covered up by a leather jacket. He was so lost in his own little world that he didn't hear the bedroom door open and a raven haired male stroll in.

He did however notice when there was a dip in his bed by the male who had entered. Taking out one headphone the brunette said, "Hey Zayn."

"Hello Liam." The raven haired boy replied and pulled out a cell phone. Judging by the random cursing and tapping Liam assumed the boy was playing Flappy Bird. So he placed the headphone back in his ear.

That's just how the friendship between the two worked. They just hung out even if each were doing something different. It was a bit more awkward after the day before. Liam had been tired of bullying a certain lilac haired, flower crown wearing boy. He wanted to stop it. That had ended in an argument and there was still some of that tension between the two.

It had gotten to a point where the raven haired male put down his phone and looked at Liam.

"Look, mate, I have my reasons for bullying the guy, so don't be upset with me." He said with an exasperated sigh.

The brunette didn't believe him. For the life of him he couldn't think of any reason why the flower crown boy should be bullied. He was kind, funny, and bit strange...and no he was not developing a crush, or he claimed he wasn't. It was his morals getting to him. He wasn't going to bully someone for no reason and Zayn hadn't given him and reason. So he was done. Liam said as much.

"I'm done."

"What?" Zayn asked looking at Liam curiously.

"I'm done. I refuse to bully flower boy without any good reason." The brunette said, sitting up and crossing his arms.

"Well I'm not stopping!" Zayn raised his voice. He was getting annoyed both at Liam and at the flower crown boy. The brunette could tell Zayn was getting angry. So he stood up, slipped on some shoes, and opened the door. The raven haired boy refused to look at him.

"Like I said, I am done." Liam walked out and slammed the door behind him.

The brunet was taking a walk in the cool sunset hours to clear his mind. He strolled past a dimly lit alleyway not thinking much about it, a mistake on his part. Someone grabbed him and Liam couldn't make out their face in the dim light and it looked like whoever it was had a mask on. The brunette didn't notice much more of look when he felt a pain in his head and blacked out. That's when he woke up as a puppy.

***

Puppy Liam was staring at the punk warily. The raven haired and lilac both went to sit on the sofa in the living room. Liam raced up and jumped onto the couch. Settling himself between the two boys, keeping all his attention on the raven haired boy.

"Nice puppy." The punk said awkwardly. Niall laughed and shook his head.

"He's not mine. I found him on the street and I'm just taking care of him until I find his owner."

"Oh." The boy said, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

They silently began on the art project. As well as they could with a careful watch dog emitting a low growl every time a hand came close to Niall. That got him strange stares from both boys. The lilac haired one shrugged the raven on though looked at him closely. Liam stared right back. The boy shook his head and mumbled under his breath. Neither Niall nor Liam caught what he said so the project continued on.

The small puppy got thirsty and he figured it'd be safe enough to go get a drink of water. He told himself that he'd be right back. He took as fast as his could with the water, but he was really thirsty. It was cut short when he heard a whimper. Liam ran back to find the raven haired boy about to punch his Niall. Well he didn't want that to happen so he barked. That started both boys and the raven haired one dashed to collect his stuff. He yelled something at Niall that Liam didn't get because he was barking but the boy left and Liam went over to the now crying lilac haired boy.

Liam jumped onto the sofa and curled up on Niall's lap. The lilac haired boy just kept crying. That broke the puppy's heart. He didn't want to see Niall cry. Doing the only thing he could think of Liam climb up on the boy's chest and started licking his face. The changed the boy's sobs to somewhat laughter.

"Y-you don't want me to die, right Liam?" The boy asked his voice sounding broken and defeated. Liam licked the boy's face again and cuddled up on his chest. A small smile crept on the boy's face.

"I'm going to take that as a no." The voice was a bit happier, but still broken sounding. Liam made a happy bark and the boy started petting his back.

***

"HE DID WHAT?" A yell woke Liam up. He lifted his head groggily and saw shock written over two boys' faces. One with curly hair and green eyes, He remembered him, Niall's best friend. He was pretty sure his name was Harry, but the pup wasn't entirely sure.

He didn't know the brunette with blue eyes. He knew they were in the drama club, but besides that nothing.

"Someone needs to put that boy in his place." the unknown boy said.

"No, Louis, It's fine. I'm fine. He was just upset." Niall replied with a shrug.

"What made him say that?" The curly one asked. Liam perked his ears up at this. He was wondering the same thing.

"I honestly have no clue. I just asked him where his partner in crime, Liam was. Then he yelled at me and stormed out." The puppy knew Niall was lying. He'd been there, but he couldn't speak up about it. So he cuddled closer on the boy's chest.

Both boys looked angry and sat down next to Niall. Liam closed his eyes again. He knew the two boys were safe so he didn't feel like he had to protect Niall. Soon he fell asleep.

_________________________

so does my semi-quick & semi-long update make up for anything or no?

also do think the story is moving to slow or to fast? cause idk. give me your thoughts!

also i wanna point out that i like zayn. i don't hate him so don't go thinking i hate him cause i made him hate niall. i don't. also sorry that just kinda glaze over the whole bullying part. it's just i don't wanna write that. so yeah it's mentioned it probably will be more of mentioned in passing or something. idk. i haven't gotten that far. and this is becoming a long author's note so i'mma shut up.