Chapter 19

Serena's POV:

It wasn't long until they brought us supper and all three of us had similar trays. I had a mini panic attack thinking the guard would discover the cage had been de-electrified. Then I realized the guard was just going to slide the tray along the floor through an opening in the cage. They were probably on high alert as they waited for Darien to make his predictable appearance.

I examined my supper. It actually looked very good. A bowl with various kinds of fruit, a buttered dinner bun, a small piece of steak, a baked potato, and some sort of pudding. One thing worried me though, I was terrified of being drugged. That was easy enough to rectify though.

I diced up the potato as I hummed a purification theme while concentrating on all three plates. No sense chancing them getting drugged either. It only took thirty seconds, even with all three plates and glasses. I could tell from how the song felt that they had not been drugged, which was something of a relief.

I had to admit that this was one of the best meals I had ever tasted. The other two picked at theirs a bit, but didn't eat much. I had noticed that Tarulk didn't eat much, or sleep much, or even tire easily. I bet if I called them super humans, it would be an easier explanation.

To my surprise, they had even given us steak knives. I didn't bother abusing the privilege lest I make a name for myself as a troublemaker. Once I was done, I put everything on the tray and put it as far as my chain would reach. I didn't want those guards anywhere near me. The guards came back and took the trays away before too long.

I pulled my knees up to my chest once more, but even that was barely dulling the pain at this point. The bond was making my life misery without Darien. I had always intended to go wherever he went, but I now knew that it wasn't exactly optional. We had only been separated for about five or six hours.

I suspected that Alex knew I was in pain since I would occasionally notice him watching me with pity. There was no such warming on Jessica's part. She still thought that I was here to try and get them talking for information.

I was learning about the bond though. If I closed my eyes, I could almost imagine that the magnetic pull was actually pulling me in a certain direction, up and to the right. I tried the protection hum again.

Whenever I closed my eyes, I could see Darien's glowing eyes. I was comforted because I felt like he was watching me even now, but it was also painful because he felt so close and yet was out of reach.

The pull was almost directly straight up now. I opened up my eyes, but didn't lift my head from my knees. Perhaps I wasn't imagining the pull's direction, but if the soulbond pull was actually pointing to Darien, then... A faint rumbling noise in the distance interrupted that thought. I didn't move as I muttered, "And that is our cue to get ready to leave..."

I remained where I was, lest I tip off those watching. He must have just entered the building. It would take him at least several minutes to get down this far, even if they let him in without resistance. I started humming and, less than a minute later, the red light on the cameras went out as they lost power.

I put both hands on the black band as I gave its particular hum and pretended to pull it off. No sense having these two start questioning how a lock could just come undone for no reason. As much as I wanted to toss it away from me, I silently set the black band on the floor. The guards were likely still posted in the hallway outside of the open door.

I pulled a bobby pin out of my hair and pretended to pick the ankle cuff. This thing was so cheap that I probably could have actually picked it with the bobby pin.