Chapter 54

Serena's POV:

Darien was more or less milling around in one location as he tried to determine where I was. I could feel his frustration and I modulated my hum as I tried to figure out how to communicate where I was.

I looked around, but I had never seen such dense forest before. It was practically a wall of leaves and I had no clue how Saphira had managed to carry me into this tiny clearing. Dense leaves were not a reliable landmark... The sky also gave me no clues.

Saphira was a quiet and patient presence as I wrestled with my uncooperative magic. I let my hum die as I tried to think of another way. Whistling hadn't worked and I wasn't about to touch true song with something like this. That was just asking for trouble.

My magic was known to do some rather unpredictable things at times and I didn't want unpredictable while I was just testing things. I noticed that Darien's frustration was rapidly rising since he could no longer hear my 'call'.

I start humming faintly again, just to reassure him that I was fine. I was getting a bit frustrated as well, but by my lack of ability. This was like calling a taxi and telling them to come pick you up, and when they asked where you are, all you can say is, 'I have no idea and there are no addresses in sight. There is a cool looking tree on the corner though...'

Not helpful in the least.

What could I do? I had no idea where I was and asking Saphira would be cheating. I knew which direction Darien was in due to the soulbond's pull, but that was it. Wait a second... Could that work?

I may not know where I was, but I knew where I was in relation to Darien. My hum got louder as I concentrated on what I was picking up from the mate bond. I focused on trying to relay the pull's direction. It was quite different from trying to relay a physical direction.

I had no real way to judge the actual distance between us, but I knew he wasn't as far away as he had been the night I had been stuck in the ship's cargo hold. A smile crept onto my face as I sensed Darien starting to head directly towards me.

I grinned at Saphira, "I think I managed it." I was thrilled about finally figuring it out.

She looked intrigued and grinned in return before turning to watch the forest once more. Darien's path started to deviate a bit and I hummed again as I relayed the correction in direction. He immediately picked up speed and headed straight towards me once more.

Considering how long Saphira had carried me, Darien was closer than I had anticipated. He came into sight at an easy run, more relaxed this time than the last since he knew exactly where I was.

I started jogging towards Darien with a grin on my face, "I did it!"

His heartwarming smile alone was worth the test. He wrapped me in a hug before lifting my feet off the ground and spinning me around. I laughed in delight at his oddly playful manner.

He finally put my feet back on the ground as he gave me a gentle kiss, which I happily returned before leaning my head against his chest. I was relieved that I finally found a way to let Darien know where I was. I only wished I had discovered it earlier.

Darien spoke, "Feel like trying again?"

I raised my head and nodded.

I leaned on the porch railing and commented to Saphira, "I tried to keep my location out and only show the direction. I wonder if he will think he was mistaken."

This was our sixth attempt and I had been able to relay my direction without problems, regardless of how turned around I was. She was amused. "The other Dranek have scattered widely around the village, so their presence will not tip him off. I guess we will see."