One of Many Memories

The long forgotten soldier sat atop a three story building, crouching and staring down at the man he knew personally as Steve. It had been just over four months since he’d pulled the Captain out of the water and onto shore. He’d been watching Steve since then and with every day he started to remember.

When the Captain grabbed the paper and walked away, the Winter Soldier stood to his feet. He didn’t remember much, only who Steve was, the first time he saw his arm and the last time they fought. But, he’d been trying to remember more by keeping an eye on him.

Every time Steve went running in the morning, he was silently observing from the trees. When he went to get coffee, the Winter Soldier was peering across the street from the roofs of buildings. It was only now that he had decided to really go on the streets and get a closer look. Plus, he wanted Steve to remember him. The soldier couldn’t stand not having his friend.

The Winter Soldier turned and started running, roof top to roof top. Some had longer gaps than others, but that was hardly a challenge. It was only eight in the morning and there was nothing to do for a man like him. He didn’t know anything, couldn’t remember anything, so what was the point. Most of his mind was stuck in the 1940’s when he was brainwashed by Hydra.

He couldn’t remember anything, all of it was fuzzy. Everything was numb; his head, his legs, his arms. He tried lifting his feet but they were strapped down. He tried to lift his arms, they too were strapped down. He felt electrodes on both temples. The only thing he had on was pants and shoes.

Looking around, he got nervous, scared even, till three doctors came in wearing the same thing, long white coats. All he did was sit there as two doctors began to unstrap him.

Finally able to move, he lifted his arms up. Both fear and surprise flooded him. There was one human arm and one metal arm. It had no feeling compared to his fleshy arm. It had no pulse, no sense of touch. It was dead.

The third doctor came up to him, staring straight into his eyes. “There are only two things you need to know. You are the Winter Soldier and your mission is to kill Captain America.”

He couldn’t have killed him, not when he had remembered Steve was his friend.

Snapping out of the horrific flashback, the Winter Soldier became dizzy and sick. Pain ran in his head, temple to temple like the electrodes were still there. The pain and ache traveled down his neck and to his shoulder where the human flesh met the metal arm.

It was only ever so often memories and flashbacks plagued the Winter Soldier’s mind. Some about Steve, some about the realization of his new arm, but never about anything else.

Still dizzy, he began to stumble, closer and closer to the edge. One foot in front of the other. It was all downhill from there since he was falling. That familiar feeling he had made him want to scream, but he didn’t. He only let gravity have him. He could feel himself getting closer to the ground and just as he did, a woman screamed.

The Winter Soldier pushed himself off the ground, holding his human arm. With one hard shove, the dislocated, fleshy arm was back in its place. The feeling of pain was surprisingly gone and the dizziness had disappeared. The Winter Soldier’s vision and senses regained when he realized there was a woman standing right next to where he fell. Hoping she didn’t see his inhuman arm, he pulled both sleeves of his black shirt down.

“Did you… did you just fall from that building?” A woman, early twenties, asked both dumbfounded and amazed.

The woman simply stared at the Winter Soldier, her heartbeat going a million miles an hour.

“Yes,” he replied plainly.

“Were you trying to kill yourself?” Her voice kept getting higher and higher.

“No,”

“Then what were you doing?” she asked, placing her hand on her heart.

“I, uh…slipped.” The Winter Soldier nodded.

“Yeaaah. Try, um, not to kill yourself then if it’s a hobby of yours.” The woman slowly turned and walked away, not daring to glance back at the post- suicidal man.

Everyone on the streets stared at the Winter Soldier, the man who fell off a building and didn’t even get a scratch. But he didn’t care; he just kept staring after the woman. She seemed… secretive, mysterious, and suspicious. The woman was up to something and something top secret.

A/N

Heyo! Odd enough, as I wrote this chapter I was watching The Avengers. HAHA! 

I hope this chapter is as good as the last. Let me know! Comment, Vote, Follow.

Dedication goes to nicolesbarnesrogers for being the first to Comment on the story!