Explanation

After well over an hour of explaining, Steve hadn’t even said half of it. He’d explained Bucky and why he was there; he had told Natasha and Sam about breaking up with Rebekah (but didn’t say anything about getting with Bucky). He even explained Bucky’s recovery process and progression, but nothing about Hydra’s supposed ongoing operation.

“So you’re expecting me to believe that after we took down Pierce and those hellicarriers that this assassin pulled you out of the water, remembering who you were, stalked you for four months and you found him, welcoming him into your home.” Natasha flailed her arms about.

“Yes, I am.” Steve nodded.

“He’s lethal, Rogers! For 70 years he’s been told to do nothing but kill. He’s Hydra’s lap dog for god’s sake. Do you not recall me telling you how he shot right through me? What about Tony’s parents? Steve, he,” Natasha jerked her head to Bucky, but refused to look at him directly. “Is dangerous. What if Hydra told him to do this, to watch you, to get close? What if this is all a continuation of his last mission, sent to gain your trust and kill you? What then?”

“I trust him, Nat. As should you right now.”

“You don’t get it, Steve. Do you not see what I’m saying? Trust isn’t always an answer, especially in this case. I know firsthand you can’t trust anyone.”

“Don’t you think if he was so lethal Bucky would have already tried to kill us by now? Hell, Natasha, you had him pinned to the ground with a knife at his throat and he didn’t even struggle or try to fight back!”

“Can I way in here?” Bucky cautiously raised his hand from where he was sitting on the sofa.

“No!” “Yes!”

Natasha and Steve both yelled at the same time at Bucky then glared at the other. Natasha shook her head, crossed her arms and turned to Sam. “Unbelievable.” She muttered and Steve gestured for Bucky to talk.

“First of all,” Bucky stood and began to pace around the room, making his way to Steve’s side. “Steve was generous enough to help me, even open his home to me.” As Bucky stood next to Steve, he lightly brushed his hand over Steve’s palm. It was barely noticeable. “Second of all, I’m not lethal. I can be, but I’m not. If I were, you’d be dead right now.”

“You being lethal seven months ago didn’t really work out, now did it?” Natasha sarcastically jabbed, but was soon met by an instant reaction. Steve glared right at her with thin, narrowed eyes. “Sorry, sorry. Continue.”

Bucky nodded and returned to talking. “And third, I’m not on a mission. I don’t work for Hydra. Not again and not anymore.”

“Uh-huh.” Leaning against the wall, Natasha refused to accept Bucky’s claim. “And flying pigs really do exist.”

“Nat, look.” Steve started, frustrated with all the bickering.

She lunged forward, getting right in front of Steve. “No, you look, Rogers. He’s an assassin. Do you know what that means? It means murderer, sociopath, psychopath, criminal. And you know one common characteristic between all of them?They don’t change. Not matter how much help they get, no matter how many people are there for them, they don’t change.

Everyone was silent, even Steve. He couldn’t speak, couldn’t breathe for that matter. He felt like someone had shot him dead center in the gut. And he was certain Bucky felt the same way just by looking at the guilty, heart-broken expression smeared on Bucky’s face. You could see it all over, all the things he’s tried to forget; the murders, the pain, the guilt, all of it.

Natasha sighed, calming down just a little. “Steve, if Fury or any of the others knew about this, it wouldn’t be good. For you or for him.” Natasha finished, trying to get her point across.

“No one is going to know because no one is going to tell them. Not you, not Sam, no one because I will be the one to tell them. When the right time comes, I will go to them and say it. Until then, not a word will be said. Understood?” Steve’s jaw set, clenched tight with stress.

“Yeah,” She nodded slowly as she backed away, her jaw setting as well. “Yeah, I understand. But when all Hell breaks loose and you’re stuck on your ass in a tight place, don’t expect me to come get you.” With that, she stomped to the door, walked out and slammed it shut behind her. It left an eerie silence afterward which left the three of them staring at the ground.

“Well,” Sam started. “I think we should start off on a better note. Sam Wilson.”

“James Barnes. But call me Bucky.” He replied, shaking hands with Sam.

“I better go and make sure she doesn’t terrorize the city. See you, man. And nice meeting you, Bucky.” Sam politely exited the home and ran after Natasha.

For a long moment there was no sound as Steve and Bucky sat on the couch next to each other, both of them thinking the same thing.

“It’s not going to be easy you know.” Bucky announced.

“I know.”

“When are you going to tell them?”

“I don’t know.” Steve stared into nothingness, confused and attempting to establish a plan.

“Well, when you do, I’ll be right by your side.” Bucky grasped Steve’s forearm, giving it a light squeeze and smiled contently. “Till the end of the line.”

A/N

Words cannot express how sorry I am for not updating in a month. Honestly. If you've been dying for this update at all, I know how you feel and I've been in your shoes. But, as always, I am sincerely sorry!

Now, I had most of this chapter written a while ago and just had to finish up the end, but my life is not Wattpad as you can tell. LOL. The next one might be late as well because I have Exams soon, I am currently working on REAL books for REAL publishing so that takes quite a bit of time. Also, I have been distracted by other fanfictions I'm wrting but haven't published. A Loki FanFic and Charles Xavier(AKA: Professor X) FanFic.

But enough of that, back to Don't Forget Me. Yes, I am planning on making the next chapter about revealing Bucky to the rest of the Avengers. Yes, I will soon add some smut. Patience, Little Ones. 

Until then, I hope you enjoyed reading this latest addition to the story and I hope you look forward to reading the next! =D

Dedication goes to xxlovelyfandomsxx!!!! XD