This is the 21st Century

"Why do I need one of these?" Bucky held the small electronic devise in his hands, flipping it over trying to understand its importance and significance.

"In case you're out on your own and need to call or text someone." Steve stood next to him, perusing through the phone cases. "Oh, here's one." Steve slipped a case from the shelf and held it up so Bucky could see.

It was a thin, plastic, rectangular case with an itty bitty circle cut out on the top left corner. That case was a solid deep navy blue with the Captain's shield in the center.

Bucky raised an eyebrow, obviously not approving of Steve's amusing, yet ironic, choice and continued to toy with the foreign devise. 

"C'mon Buck." Steve set the case down. "There are a few upsides to having an iPhone. You can take pictures, you could talk to someone without them hearing your voice and you can play games on it."

"Like Poker?" Bucky glanced at him still unsure.

"Yeah. I think you can play Poker on it." Grabbing the devise from Bucky's hands, Steve grabbed a plain black, plastic case and went up to the cashier to purchase Bucky a new iPhone and case.

Slowly walking up to Steve, Bucky glanced around like an observant dog. Everything was still strange to him. It boggled Bucky's poor mind to see such a drastic change in the world. Everything he knew before would be nearly irrelevant now. He didn't see the need for all this technology because a part of Bucky still wanted to live in the 40's. But, like Steve, he was a man out of time and there was no going back.

"Alright," Steve interrupted Bucky's main stream thoughts. "I've got your phone and case in the bag. The electronics manager added a user's guide and a ten year warranty in case it gets crushed or something happens to it."

Not really sure of what Steve had just said, Bucky decided to learn. "What happened? Why is everything so technological? Doesn't anyone ever just do anything for fun, like going dancing?"

"Not the kind of dancing you think it is. Bucky, I know it's hard. I experienced it the same way, kind of. The last thing I remember is I'm diving towards a snowy, icy abyss. When I wake up I'm in a room with a radio replaying the baseball game you and I were at. When i ran outside, the world was a place I thought it never would be. It took me time to adjust. You just have to be patient." Steve's hand rested on Bucky's shoulder, giving a reassuring squeeze.

He was right. Bucky thought. Just as he had to learn as a child, he'd have to learn again. But this time it would be different. He'd have to learn in a society relying on evolution and technology.

"How about we go an get you some clothes?"

Steve and Bucky walked out of the electronics store in the mall and out into the open where small groups of people wandered, spending their money at will.

"Do you think this time is better? You know, compared to the 1940's."

Steve shrugged. "I don't know. This is the 21st century, not the 20th. Both then and now have their good and bad things. It's just too early to tell. Okay, pick a store. Anyone of them."

With so many to choose from, Bucky simply turned right and walked into the clothing store next to them. It took Bucky nearly two hours to find some clothes he liked and tolerated. Many of them were itchy, uncomfortable or didn't fit to his form. But, they eventually found some; enough to fill three bags.

When the long trek was over for a phone and clothes, both of them were exhausted. Bucky flopped down on his bed, the couch, and Steve did the same next to him, setting the bags on the floor.

"How do woman stand that?" Bucky questioned, leaning his head back and closing his eyes.

"I don't know but they sure can last longer than us."

Each of them chuckled, sitting in the sweet silence of their home. To them both it was nice to have company. For Steve, it was like a beautiful release. He had his best friend there with him. For Bucky, the same but he also felt safe, welcome. Everything he missed about being normal, being the old him, was in that apartment.

"Well, Buck, I'm going to bed. I'll set your clothes in my closet. We can make room for them tomorrow. Goodnight, buddyy." Steve pushed himself from the couch, clutching each of the bags and proceeded to his bedroom, shutting off the main light and leaving only the dim glow of a small lamp on an end table to illuminate the room.

Bucky sat in the dark alone. It was nice though. It wasn't the type of solitary he was normally subjected to back at Hydra's base. There, when he was left alone. he couldn't be trusted and he was normally strapped down in the horrific chair with the bitter smell of blood, sweat and grime. Here, at Steve's apartment, Bucky had free will. He had the capability to go wherever, whenever. There were no wires, no mouth guards and no hellish smells. Here Bucky was welcomed with open arms.

Bucky arranged the pillows and blankets to his comforts before stripping off his t-shirt and laying it on the carpeted floor. He shifted himself down into the cushions of the couch, pulling the snug blanket up to his chest. Relaxing every muscle in his body for the first time in a long time, Bucky closed his eyes. 

"Goodnight, Steve."

A/N

I sincerely apologize!! I had this chapter typed atleast a week ago but my computer had to go in for repairs!! I am halfway finished with the next chapter so there is a possibility that there will be a make-up/ bonus chapter this weekend.

Hope you guys enjoyed it!

If any of you want me to give you a dedication, follow or to check out your story just let me now.

This weekend's dedication goes to imafangirlwithfeels!!! XD