I Missed You

“I gotta put her in the water.”

“Please don’t do this. We have time. We can work it out.”

“Right now I’m in the middle of nowhere. If I wait any longer a lot of people are going to die. Peggy, this is my choice.”

Steve flipped open his pocket watch to a picture of Peggy and placed it in front of him. With a slight shove, he pushed the plane down towards the water. A knot of fear and uncertainty clenched in the pit of Steve’s stomach. The only thing he was relying on was pure faith and hope.

“Peggy,” Steve chocked, yet still tried to sound confident.

“I’m here.”

“I’m gonna need a rain check on that dance.” He didn’t want to say it. Steve knew what was about to happen and there was no way to avoid it without someone getting hurt.

“Alright.” Peggy sniffled. “A week, next Saturday, at the Stork Club.”

“You got it.”

“Eight o’clock on the dot. Don’t you dare be late, understood?”

Trying to find ease in the conversation, Steve said, “You know, I still don’t know how to dance.”

Only a few hundred feet and the plane would be down. The knot in his stomach got tighter and bigger, spreading throughout his nervous system.

“I’ll show you how. Just be there.”

“You’ll have the band play something slow. I’d hate to step on your…”

Ceaseless ringing echoed through Steve’s ears. And just as easily as he had woken up that morning, he was suddenly out cold.

Steve sprung upward in bed, his bare chest covered with sweat. Deep, harsh breaths hitched in Steve’s throat as he tried to regain his orientation.

It was another dream, a nightmare really. One that left Steve shivering and flinching every time he remotely thought about it.

When Steve finally calmed down enough, he realized his phone was ringing on his bedside. He rolled over, groaning as he did and answered in a tired, groggy voice.

“Hey, Samuel.” Steve said, rubbing a hand over his eye and back through his messy blonde strands.

“You sound like you just got up.” Sam stated in a rather chipper mood.

“That’s because I did.”

Samuel began to laugh. “Hell, is this the first time I beat you to the park for a run?! Hot damn, I’m gonna celebrate.”

“Hey, uhm,” Steve cleared his throat, rolling onto his back. “I can’t go running this time. This girl moved into the building and wanted help.”

“Awh, man! You’re finally getting’ back out there. Wait till Natasha finds out.” Same was clearly in a happier mood than usual and obviously had to qualms about hiding it.

“No. It’s not like that. She’s a new S.H.I.E.L.D agent.”

“I thought…”

Politely quiet knocks landed on Steve’s door from the outside hallway. “Rogers?”

“Hey, Sam, I got to go. I’ll explain everything later.” Steve began to throw the covers off and sit up, exposing his legs in dark blue sweatpants.