Attraction

Chapter 5 - Attraction

KAYLA SUMMERS

Kayla had heard him on the phone again. He spoke in hushed tones so she couldn't hear exactly what he was saying but the beaming smile told her that whoever that was on the other side of the phone , made him so happy that he lit up like a Christmas tree.

She felt a pinch in her chest but she ignored it. She just needed to spend six months to see to it that he'd sign the divorce  papers.

To her, this was useless. But she'd seen the determination in his eyes when he had put forth the conditions. Daniel was the kind of man that you had a one night stand with. You didn't marry him or bring him home for that matter.

He was the guy you had a quickie with in the back of a car or in a closet at some party. And then forget about it because he could never promise you a stability.

To find herself married to him was a shocker. But she didn't understand his motives in making her spend six whole months with him. What did he think would happen?

It was in everyone's best interests that he sign the divorce papers and get this over with.

Kayla busied herself in cooking. When it came to cooking, she practically shut her mind and focused on her work at hand. That was her passion and she gave it her all.

"What are you cooking?"

"Get out." she mumbled as she cut the meat in perfect long stripes.

For Kayla, cooking was something that just came to her. It was her passion and she had an amazing mentor, her father.

Her father, though a SEAL, he was a good chef.

Everything that Kayla had learned, be it guns, be it hand to hand combat, be it using knives - both for cooking and self defense, everything she knew was taught by her father.

And she was grateful for it.

Daniel didn't say anything but jumped up on the counter and sat there while she cooked.

It was peaceful. Felt domestic. But who was she kidding, one phone call, and Daniel would run out the front door.

He let her cook in peace and she let him stay quiet.

When the food was ready, he set up the dining table for them.

"Why are you doing this?" Kayla finally asked as they were halfway through the food.

"Because you know I want you." He said it so nonchalantly as if they were talking about the weather.

"You don't spring that out on a person like that. Plus if you wanted me, you wouldn't have dated Tessa."

He cocked his head and smirked, "Are you jealous?"

Kay just narrowed her eyes at him.

He threw his head back and laughed.

"Of course you are." Shaking his head he looked down at the plate and pushed his food around.

"Jokes aside. I wanted you ever since you dated my brother. You know that. But then, you left me. I saw a little bit of you in Tess. And I wanted that. An essence of you in whatever way I get."

"And what about Kari?"

"Huh?"

"You know that kiss at the party."

His eyes lit with amusement at that.

"Kari knows you like me. She just wanted to make you jealous."

Her hands squeezed around the fork in her hand. "That bitch"

"Aww. You are so cute." He mumbled. Taking a bite of the chicken in front of him, he moaned.

That look of pleasure on the face of a person, eating what she had cooked was what she thrived for. That look on Daniel's face was something else entirely. The way he closed his eyes, savored the flavor. His adam's apple bobbing as he swallowed it down. It warmed her.

His moans made her think of him, tangled in sheets with her. That was the last thing she wanted.

When he opened his eyes and looked straight at her, she was taken aback. His twinkling eyes held hers, said that he knew what she was thinking. And that he was thinking the same thing.

The thing she wanted was the last thing she needed at the moment and that was to kiss him. She wanted to kiss him but all she could do was push her chair back and dump her food in the trashcan.

"Where are you going?"

"I need to go. Need to check up on my new restaurent."

"Kay-" he sighed

"Not now, Daniel."

She expected him to say something but he didn't.

"Okay then." he mumbled eventually.

"Bye."

She didn't know it would be that hard for her. She didn't know what her feelings for him were exactly but the attraction was still there.

If she couldn't handle him for one day how the hell was she going to handle him for the next six months was beyond her..

All she could do was pray that she came out strong.

********

Vote. Comment.

- Nami