Maya Hunt

Chapter 10 - Maya Hunt

DANIEL HUNT

Stupid. So stupid

When it came to Kayla, Dan was always stupid.

So stupid that he hadn't thought of the ramifications of taking Kayla with him to India.

She thought Maya was his girlfriend. And he knew he should've let her assume that and take the first flight to India.

But he'd been so vulnerable that he had asked her to come with him and to his surprise she had agreed.

She had made some calls and then persuaded Dan that Rory was capable enough to look after the restaurant in her absence.

He hoped Rory was as capable as she said. He wouldn't be able to pile another guilt if anything in her life went awry because of him.

The flight had left roughly six hours ago and all the while he could think of was how would he break it to Kay that Maya was his daughter.

He had hid Maya from his own family for the past nine years and never in his whole life had he ever let them know that he had been settled for the past nine years in Mumbai.

How was he going to break it to Kay that once he left the states, his life was completely different from what he portrayed.

Kayla slept beside him, her head on his shoulder.

She had fell asleep an hour or two after. Dan just couldn't bring himself to sleep. He felt like kicking himself. Never in all of the nine years had he left Maya alone especially during Diwali.

And that one time he had extended his stay in US, she fell sick.

Dan vowed never to leave his daughter alone, even if it meant not meeting his parents ever again.

For the next eight hours Dan could only pray to God that Maya got better soon.

********

The first thing that Daniel did once they landed was call for two Uber.

"Why two?"

"I thought you might wanna rest. I gotta go to the hospital."

"Right!!" Kayla muttered, her lips pursed in thin line.

Sure Kay thought that Maya was his girlfriend. Then why would she wanna come with him? Did she think that he wanted to keep her a secret?

"Do you wanna come with me?" Dan asked.

"Won't she mind?" Kay bit out and Dan suppressed a smile.

"She won't. Trust me." Dan said.

As much as he wanted to keep Maya to himself, he couldn't not let Kay meet her. After all she had flew all the way to India on a whim without much questions.

"Let's go."

Cancelling one they both took the other cab to Bombay Hospital.

The minute the cab slowed near the gate, Dan ran towards the entrance.

"Maya Hunt." He asked at the desk and the receptionist rattled the room no.

Taking the elevator, he ran upstairs and towards the room where his daughter was.

When he stopped and looked behind, Kayla was hot on his heels, right behind him.

He walked and knocked on the door.

A young brunette in her late twenties opened the door.

She hugged him and Dan let out a sigh.

He pulled back and looked in her eyes.

Shreya was his neighbor and also his daughter's nanny.

Worry swam in her eyes but she smiled,"Everything's fine." She murmured and Dan relaxed

A throat cleared somewhere behind him and he remembered that Kayla was right there behind him.

"Oh right!"

Dan was sure that Kay was reaching to conclusions.

And he would've loved to sort them out if his daughter wasn't hooked on medicines inside.

"Shreya?" He heard Kayla's questioning tone before he slipped inside and closed the door.

His daughter lay on the bed, hooked on an IV and an oxygen mask covering her nose.

"Daddy." She wheezed and Dan almost ran to her side. Grabbing her hand he squeezed gently and muttered.

"That sure is one way to get me running to you."

She tried to laugh but she ended up coughing.

"I'm sorry. So sorry, angel." He said and kissed her forehead, running his hands through her black curls.

"Rest now. I'm here. I'm not leaving you now." He said and she patted his cheek.

A gasp echoed in the silent room and Dan saw Kayla had entered in, with Shreya right behind him.

"Who's this?" Maya asked, her voice rough.

"She's my friend. I'll come back and we'll leave for home in sometime."

Maya nodded.

Daniel walked out with Kay and Shreya.

"What... She- your" Kay sputtered but Dan ignored it.

He let Kayla stay behind and walked over to the floor receptionist where she told him that the doctor will be back in a few minutes.

"When can we leave?"

"Any time you want. She refused to budge without you. If you still do wanna talk to the doctor than we can wait." Shreya said

"I'm done waiting. You can fill me in later."

Shreya nodded. "I'll go get the discharge papers." Shreya walked over to the elevator to go back downstairs.

"Is she yours?" Kay asked.

"No. Shes just someone I picked up on my way home." He said sarcastically and rolled his eyes, "Of course she's mine."

"What happened?" Kayla asked

"She's asthmatic. I shouldn't have but mom insisted I stay. She started ranting as to how I don't spend enough time. And I did. This is all my fault." Dan murmured

"Give yourself a break." Was all she said

A silence spread between them before she asked, "Nobody knows about her?"

"No. And I'd like it if it stays that way."

He'd keep her far away from his siblings. Though they didn't care much about him, it'd hurt Maya if they treated her the same way. And he could do anything but break his daughter's heart.

"She's beautiful. She has your eyes."

All Dan could do was offer her a small smile and hope that he hadn't just taken a worst decision of his life by bringing Kayla in Maya's life.

********

Vote. Comment.

- Nami