Leaving

Chapter 9  - Leaving

KAYLA SUMMERS

Kayla Summers was confused.

She was so confused and so lost in her mind that she didn't even notice Rory coming towards her.

"Sweetheart? Is everything alright?" he asked.

Right! She was in her kitchen and it was already 1 in the afternoon. People had started to pile in and she was sure that all the tables were full out there.

Offering up a small smile she nodded. "I'm great." she said and side stepped him.

She was sure he was about to place his hands on her shoulder because that's how he offered her comfort in public. He didn't pull her in for a hug or kiss the shit out of her or just hold her hands because Rory knew how to be civil. He was a gentleman and he knew that she hated public displays of affection. She did, didn't she?

It didn't matter. Pulling her head out of her personal issues she focused back on the work at hand.

She looked after every single dish that left her kitchen.

It was imperative that she did because she was a control freak.

She went back to work but she just couldn't make her mind shut up.

She remembered the night before when she had run off to her other restaurant and Dan had appeared at the doorway not less than half an hour later.

And that kiss.

God that kiss !

It took all of her strength to not give in and kiss him back. She couldn't handle the way all her emotions had flooded. It was as if she was back to being a 20 year old, sneaking in a boy's room while his brother slept in the next room.

That moment had struck her in her face and she had blurted the first thing that came to her mind.

She had asked for a divorce which was the last thing she wanted at that time.

"Kayla!!" She turned around and looked at her personnel who had their eyes trained on her as if she had lost her mind

When she turned to Rory, he had a worried look on his face. She was sure he had called her more than once.

"Sweetheart..." He began.

"Back to work everybody." She clapped her hands and evaded him. She didn't need sympathy or any other shit.

Especially since she didn't feel guilty about Dan kissing her.

Sure she hadn't kissed back but she sure as hell hadn't pushed him away. She had sat there and let him kiss her. Let him kiss her, and not once had she thought of Rory. And neither did she feel guilty about it.

What did that say about her?

She ignored Rory's attempts to talk to her. Rory knew better. Even though she was marrying Rory, she wouldn't treat him differently.

Kayla didn't talk or thought of anything other than food.

For the next few hours, she concentrated strictly on her work.

At seven she handed the keys to Rory.

"I'm going home early, close it on time." She said and left.

She had set the menu for dinner. Everything was ready. She had done her part. Now her employees had to just do their job.

She left by the back door and walked over to her car.

It took her fifteen minutes to reach Dan's apartment.

When she entered in, the first thing that she saw was two bags.

Dan was leaving

Daniel was leaving, he might've gotten a call to some place where he had to go.

Dancame running out in the living room.

"We have to leave."

Kay wanted to shout, wanted to say that this was exactly what she was afraid of. That she had expected. That she was waiting and now that other shoe had dropped.

She opened her mouth until her brain kicked in

Had he just said we? 

She took his appearance in. The bags under his eyes had deepened. Frown lines marring his forehead.  His hair tousled as if he had ran his hands through them multiple times. One thing that gave her the pause was the fear in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry, it's okay if you don't wanna come. I understand but I have to go. I really do. But I promised, shit -"

He stood there, his hands fisting his hair, his eyes closed.

"What happened?" She asked softly.

"Maya is sick." He blurted and then stiffened.

His eyes flew open at the admission and then as if resigned, he slumped.

"I have to go. I know I put forth the six months condition." He smiled and shook his head

"We both knew I'd give up in two months, I wanted at the very least, these two months with you but it seems I can't even stand true to that."

He sighed.

"You need to go. Your girlfriend needs you."

"Maya is not... " He trailed. "I love her and yes she needs me." Fixing his eyes with her he said "But I need you too. I need you so bad." He shook his head. He was shaking his head continuously.

Helpless. He was completely helpless and Kay softened.

He sighed, "Give me the papers. I'll sign them. This was stupid of me."

She knew she should just hand him the papers. The papers that she carried in her tote every single day but she didn't.

A small part of her didn't want to. She wanted to ponder on it but the way Dan checked his watch and then began pacing, Kay knew they didn't have much time.

"I'm so sorry. I just assumed you'd want to come." He slapped a hand to his head. "That was stupid of me. It's okay. I'll sign them. I'm so stupid. I should've -"

"Where are we going?"

"Wait let me - What?"

Picking the one of the two bags on the  floor, the one that she had brought when she had moved in, she smiled.

"C'mon. I'm in need of a vacation. Where are we going?"

Daniel stood frozen. "I... I - what?" He mumbled

"I guess you have the tickets, let's go. Let me in on the details on the way."

One minute he was on the other side of the room, the very next, he had enfolded her in a tight hug.

"Thank you." He whispered.

"It's okay." She patted his back but she didn't know if it really was. She didn't know if it would be okay.

She just hoped she hadn't just made a big mistake.

********

Vote. Comment.

- Nami