Difference

Chapter 11 - Difference

KAYLA SUMMERS

Maya could've been anyone. His girlfriend, his fiancée, his wife, his best friend even

The last thing that could come to her mind was his daughter. And that was exactly what she was.

Daniel had a daughter named Maya.

This was completely unexpected.It always was with Daniel. It was like a roller coaster ride, only a blindfolded one since she didn't know if she was going up or down. All she could do was pray that by the time this ride ended, she was safe, which she thought would never happen

She was beyond confused. Everything with Dan was different. The push and the pull between them, the curve balls he threw at her.

Kayla didn't know what to think. If Daniel had a daughter in fact, what did he do? Take her to his adventures with her? What kind of a life was that for a kid? And why didn't he tell his family?

Maya sat in the living room while Daniel walked down the hallway to the bedroom with his daughter in his arms.

Ten minutes later he was back and dropped down next to her.

"That girl can make me age ten years in one night."

"So..." Kayla started expecting an explanation. He owed her an explanation, after all he was the one who brought her to India.

"So what?"

Kayla held his eyes until he sighed and rubbed a hand down his face and faced her.

"It was one of my one night stands while I was here. Nine years ago this woman just comes to me and says She's your responsibility now."

Damn. It must've been a shocker. But knowing Daniel, he would do the right thing.

"Well I didn't have to test her to know she was mine. She has my eyes." He smiled "I mean, the second I looked at her, I knew she was mine. But still I had to get a DNA test to make sure. She was a sweet one year old and I made sure the woman signed over her complete custody to me."

"Since that day I've been here."

"Here?"

"Yeah."

Kayla frowned. "You're telling me you have been staying in India for the past nine years."

"Yeah. I took a job here. I got a job as a history professor in one of the colleges here along with that I teach in different tuition classes. They really do pay you well." He smiled.

Kayla was shocked. This wasn't the Dan she knew. The Dan she knew would never settle down in one place, would never let go of his job and was cocky as hell.

This Dan, was a good father who settled down for his daughter and has been living a life halfway across the world with a ten year old version of himself.

Kayla didn't know what to do. Sure she had wanted a white picket fence and pets and kids kind of life and her husband who she thought was incapable of it -

Something brushed against her feet and Kay jumped.

Dan laughed "Relax. She's just rubbing herself against you."

He reached down and picked up a grey and white Persian cat.

Dan stroked his hand over her head and the cat purred.

"A Persian cat?" Kay raised an eyebrow and Dan laughed.

"It's not mine. It's one of the neighbors. I can't keep a pet since Maya is asthamatic. She loves them but she knows she can't keep a pet. Breaks my heart every single time."

"That's sad."

"It is. But then I got her a fish."

"Where is it?"

"It's in her bedroom. You wanna see?"

"Won't she wake up?"

"Nah. The medicines put her out. She won't wake up anytime soon."

The sparkle in Dan's eyes almost made her giggle. Why that guy was so worked up about showing her a goldfish, she didn't know but if that diverted his mind then so be it.

"Okay."

They quietly crept towards the bedroom and Dan opened the door slowly.

"Voila" he whispered an Kayla had to bite her lip to stop the gasp from escaping her lips.

The fish tank was huge. It was almost a five by seven feet, built in the wall itself.

The one side of the tank was covered with a picture of corals and marine weeds.

There were different kinds of plastic/stone models of plants and a house. White pebbles adorned the bottom of the tank.

And there on the surface of the water, lazily swimming, was a silver arwana.

"That's one huge ass fish to be a pet." She muttered.

They backed away from the room and sat back on the couch.

"Nah. Silver arawana's are beautiful and they grow as long as your arm. This one is just a three year old. The maintenance is high, but it's worth it. She comes home from school and then runs to it and then feeds him."

The love for Maya was evident in the way he spoke and the way his eyes lit.

My God, who was this person sitting beside her?

Daniel had been living a life that she had always dreamed of. Sure he had no white picket fence house in the suburbs or two cats.

But he sure as hell had an apartment, a big ass 3 feet arwana and a nine year old sweetheart.

Man had she misjudged the man.

She needed some time to absorb all the information. The Daniel she knew and the Daniel he really was were tow different people and she was having a hard time to differentiate them.

A small voice whispered in her mind that had her panicking

Being married to Daniel wouldn't be so bad, would it?

********

Vote. Comment.

- Nami