Rights and Wrongs

Chapter 22 - Rights and Wrongs

KAYLA SUMMERS

Kayla closed the door to the bedroom and walked over to the other side of the bed that wasn't occupied.

Dan had closed his eyes but his hand moved over Maya's hair.

"Do you think it was wrong of me to hide her from them all these years?"

She didn't say anything until she laid down on the other side of Maya. "I can't answer that until you tell me why you did it?"

His eyes flew open and he stared directly into hers as if he was looking deep down to her soul.

"Do you love me?" He asked quietly.

Kayla didn't know how to answer that. She herself was confused about it. How could she answer his question?

"I -"

"It's about time don't you think. I can say I love you. I loved you the moment you stepped into my life and I've never stopped loving you. I know I have my own mess and I dragged you into it but I couldn't let you go. I couldn't find it in me to let you go. Can you tell me the same?"

Kayla shut her mouth close tight. She knew he loved her. She knew it alright but to hear it out loud from his mouth... It bewildered her.

Kayla looked down at Maya. The child was fast asleep, her arm thrown over Dan's waist as she pressed her face in his chest while Dan's hand stroked her hair.

"Is it her? Is my daughter the problem?"

"What? No!" She almost yelled and let out a sigh "She's not a problem of any kind. Don't put the blame on the kid." She sighed"I don't know what I want. I'm confused Danny. All my life I had been looking for stability. And Rory promises me that."

Daniel looked down at his kid and then back at her, "Is that why you left that night? You thought I wouldn't be good enough for you?"

It wasn't an accusation. Kay got that. He was just trying to figure it out, trying to figure her out.

"Maybe. I don't know."

"I would've given up anything to be with you."

"I wouldn't have want that. To make you do something that you would hate me your whole life... I just couldn't.."

"I never wanted this. Going around the world, hopping on a plane at moments notice... I just wanted to belong somewhere. And if we would've, I don't know, talked or something we could've put this behind us already.... But then, this bundle of joy wouldn't have been in my life."

"Why did you do it then? Why take archaeology?"

"Because at that time it caught my attention. I loved bringing things to the light. Things that were lost and have been hidden for centuries now. Other than that I just wanted to belong somewhere. Or with someone. I just wanted to not be alone."

His every word broke Kay's heart.

"Maya gave me a family. I belonged to her. When I found her on my doorstep, I was scared. I was scared as fuck but when she looked at me and giggled and held my finger in her tiny hand, I knew that I would move heaven and earth for her because she was mine."

With that last word, Daniel pressed a kiss to her forehead.

Dan was an amazing father. Maybe not a white picket fence in the suburbs but he surely had an apartment of his own in the town with a nine to five job, a daughter and not to forget the pet fish.

But all her life Daniel was always at the back of her mind. She had never thought he had it in him to settle down. And now that he had, she wanted him.

Kayla was ashamed. She was embarassed beyond anything that she wanted him now that he met all her criteria.

That was not how a marriage should be. Lexi, Sydney, Tess... They never married their guys for what they wanted them to be. They loved them for being themselves.

Kayla was marrying not a person but a checklist.

"I'll sign the divorce papers tomorrow if it scares you that much."

Kayla knew Dan must have seen her face and come to a conclusion of his own but she didn't correct him. She loved him dammit but he didn't deserve her.

Daniel deserved someone who loved him.

Maya would soon forget her. Afterall, they had met just a few weeks ago.

"Thank you Daniel"

There was no surprise, no shock. He knew that this would end up like this. He was resigned way before he was ready to sign those papers.

"She deserves a family Dan. I know you hid her because you were scared for her. But introduce her to them. Let her make that decision all by herself. I bet everybody would love her. And especially now that she has a few days old sister."

"How is she?"

"Channing is in the hospital. And so is half of the Hunt clan." Kay sighed and cupped his cheek, her thumb brushing the tip of the scar on his face. He shivered.

"They'll be good to her. And you, I think. Just let her know them. Let her know that her father is not alone in the world."

"What if I am? What if I really am alone in this world Kay?"

She sighed "You don't deserve me Dan. You deserve someone good. Someone better than me. I'm not that person."

"What if I don't feel so lonely when I'm with you?" He whispered and Kay's heart broke.

"I don't want you to be miserable. I'm not the right kind of person, Danny. The reasons for which I wanted to marry Rory and the reasons why I wanted to run away from you are embarrassing. I don't want to do that. I don't want to drag you in my nightmares. You deserve better and trust me there's someone better out there for you."

Daniel didnt utter a word at all. He just stared at her as if memorizing her face.

"Hold me tonight." He whispered.

And hold him she did.

********

Vote. Comment.

- Nami