Niece

Chapter 21 - Niece

DANIEL HUNT

To say Dan was pissed was an understatement.

He had almost made his way to the elevator, with Maya in his arms when a hand on his shoulder stopped him.

"Will it be that bad if he knows about her?" Kay said softly.

Yes. Yes it would be bad. This was exactly why he didn't want to bring Maya here. He should've known that Lexi would have planned something like this.

She was much more smart than anybody gave her credit. And that was alot.

Lexi came rushing out

"I'm so sorry Daniel, I didn't kn-"

"Save it." He shook his head, refusing to turn around. "I don't want to hear anything."

Maya's arms were wrapped around his neck. She squeezed her arms tight around him as if comforting him.

"What is going on?" Logan's gruff voice

Daniel still stood with his back to them. He wanted to shield Maya but now that Logan had already seen his angel, there was no point in turning back.

He could leave. He had no obligation to stay and explain his brothers and his family that he had a kid.

But he owed it to Maya. She was already without a mother and a small voice in his mind murmured as to would it be so bad if they knew about her.

"Dad." Maya murmured and he looked down at her in his arms.

He looked straight in her eyes. He saw that longing for a family. In a flash he could see that it wouldn't be long before she would start asking questions about her family.

Sure they would let her down but atleast she would have atleast known that she had a family. That there were people other than Dan that was her own blood.

His insides were warring. On one hand he wanted her to not be all by herself but on the other hand he wanted to save her from a heartbreak.

"Daniel." Logan's voice reached him.

"Let's sit and talk. I'll cook up something nice." Kayla said. A smile broke out on his lips. If it were upto Kayla, she would even try to resolve world war with food. Ofcourse she would later go all guns blazing into the war if need be.

Dan refused to talk to Lexi. She had tricked him. Definitely made a fool of him.

He knew he shouldn't have trusted her when she said she'd let him have his peace.

He waited until all the other three walked in and then let Maya down on her feet.

Going down on his knees he held her hands

"If you want to leave, you tell me. I don't care who we are with."

"Is that my family?"

Daniel regretted that he had kept her away from them all these years. The way she said family broke his heart.

"Yes. Do you want to meet them?"

A spark lit in her eyes and she nodded.

"All of them?"

She nodded her head vigorously.

He sighed. "Then we'll meet all of them. But let's just take one step at a time. Let's just see how Logan reacts."

She nodded again.

Daniel pushed himself up on his feet and walked inside with his angel behind him.

  Kayla was rumaging around in the kitchen trying to see if anything was edible. They had left two weeks ago. As far as he knew there was nothing in the kitchen apart from cereal.

He sat down on the couch and Maya did the same beside him.

"I don't know what to say." Logan muttered.

"Then don't say anything and leave."

Logan's eyes widened in shock. Dan had been anything but rude his whole life. But after they had pushed him away if they tried to barge in his life, he wouldn't tolerate that.

"Daniel..." Logan started again, this time his voice laced with worry.

"Please don't." He murmured and held his angel's hand.

Logan looked perplexed. He couldn't tell or curse in front of the kid. And all the sympathy in his voice was getting turned down by Dan.

"Who are you?" Maya broke the silence

All eyes turned to her and she scooted a little closer to him.

"I'm your uncle."

"That's nice."she nodded her head and turned to Dan.

"He's your brother.." she whispered to him but loud enough that everybody heard it.

Both husband and wife chuckled at that.

"Yes he is." She nodded her head at his reply.

Kayla walked out with some coffee and cookies and a frown on her face

"Your fridge needs to be stocked if you want people to eat. I don't think anybody prefers mould bread."

He knew Kayla was trying to defuse the tension. But nothing was working at the moment.

All Dan could think of was how the whole family would come to know.

His parents would be disappointed. Sean would probably just make small talks with him and Maya.

The ladies were a whole new different species. They would bring Maya out of her shell and prance around with her and probably join her tea parties.

Not before they yell at him for hiding her from them.

They'd care that he had hid and lied.

But how long would that last. Eventually the visits would cut down to once a month with Dan and Maya feeling like they do not belong in the picture.

Had he made the right choice or had he just created a mistake that Maya would come to hate him for it...

********

Vote. Comment.

- Nami