A New Beginning.

K A M E K O

"Run! Faster! Faster! Sprint, woman, sprint!"

Thoughts whizzed through her head as her legs took her away from the little brick house. Her feet- that were dined with bunny slippers- were sore with all the exercise she was getting, and her cheeks were flushed. Running at midnight on a cold winter's day in her polka dot pajamas wasn't the greatest of ideas.

She skidded to a halt to catch her breath and looked around. Her purple eyes were blinded for a second as lights in red, yellow and green flashed before her. The city was bustling with people and the smell of garbage was evident.

As she walked through the large groups of people, an elderly man- who seemed to be in his seventies- took pity on the shivering girl and generously donated his thick, brown coat to her, and his wife also gave Kameko her red beanie. She smiled weakly and accepted the jacket and hat, quickly putting them on and felt the warm scent of jasmine envelope her.

As she wandered around the streets, her eyes fixated themselves on a giant TV screen mounted on a tall, glass building. A male with short brown hair and wire-rimmed glasses smiled into the camera, the famous politician Tougo Sakamaki.

Ignoring his speech about taxes and the economy her eyes left the TV screen. Her mind finally comprehended what had just happened over the last thirty minutes. She had nowhere to sleep or live, as much as she always wanted to 'run away from home' the actual action brought a wave of fear into her. Kameko sighed and sped up her pace, dodging the crowds of giggling teenagers.

"Ew, look at that girl wearing bunny slippers. What a joke!"

She finally found an empty alleyway that seemed free from the aura of 'rape' and the opinions of passersby. She settled down on top of an empty crate and covered herself with the wooly brown coat and pulled the beanie down so it covered her eyes.

"...Goodnight..." She murmured to herself as she shut her eyes and drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

-

When Kameko woke up, something cold touched the tip of her nose. Her eyes snapped awake as she felt a big snowflake melt off her skin.

She shivered at the sudden temperature drop and tried to wiggle her toes.

"...They can't move..." She determined and hugged her lower half closer to her.

Her body was so cold. . .

Huddled up in her ball-like shape, she discovered that her magic wasn't working the very least because of her poor health. A crowd began forming in front of the shivering girl and she grew mildly annoyed.

The heat from the mild anger gave her enough energy to summon a small, fairy-like flame.

"Using magic in front of humans who seem to be eye-stripping me is the most logical thing to do.", she reasoned and opened her left, shivering palm.

And..... 3....2...1.....

Whoosh. Crackle.

Her hand was now fully enveloped with flames. The embers were casting a subtle shadow across her flushed cheeks. Her lips were pulled up into a small smile as she watched the fire dance.

"The heat emitted from the fire was so welcoming... so.... bright...... like how my future would have turned out if I hadn't checked up my parents on that night..."

She had bliss for a few moments until suddenly. . .

All heat from her body left her. Correction. All remaining body heat left her.

Her breathing became shallow and she shivered uncontrollably and her fire soon faded along with her hopes of surviving and fulfilling her destiny or becoming a member of a barbershop quartet. Her eyesight was beginning to fade, just like her flames. Kameko was now becoming limp as she saw a boy standing in front of her.

He was cute, yes, with his disheveled red hair, green eyes like her own and his fashion statement, of wrapping his tie around his neck and rolling his pant leg up, but it's hard to go boy watching when she was going to freeze to deathHer eyes began closing and she lost her conscious.

"Shit".

??? Pov

Truth be told, he was watching her all this time, and the only reason he hadn't revealed himself was because of how she looked, so pitiable and alone; the sight was truly amusing . He hadn't seen her little 'magic show', though, but she was interesting.

The girl that was huddled in front of him was emitting a strange aura. The very sight of her made him..... Hungry.

Imagine seeing a jar of cookies on the kitchen table with no one home. Yeah, that's what the girl felt like.

 She looked up and saw him; her eyes were glazed over and dull, not like a moment ago, when they were bright green orbs. The next thing he knew, the girl collapsed in front of him.

"Hey! Wait- what're yo- HEY!"

He walked up to her body and slapped her face. Receiving no response, he could safely say that she was out cold.

"Tch, might as well take her home. I needed a midnight snack again." He thought hungrily to himself.

He smirked down at her limp body.

"I'm going to be your first..." Ayato whispered.

Kneeling down, he picked her up bridal style, the boy, Ayato Sakamaki, took her in, ignoring the dismayed looks on the people's faces, and that's how her whole life changed.

For better or worse, that is the true question.