6 | Aftermath

Joey looked out the window, watching as Mr. Weasley and Lupin waved their wands, collapsing the torn wedding tent down until it lay in a heap on the ground. As soon as it collapsed, Mr. Weasley waved his wand once more, sending the torn tent to the trash.

"Unbelievable," Fred muttered once more, and Joey spun around to watch where the twins sat on each of their beds. "how could all of this happen?"

"I reckon we're all just lucky to have gotten out unharmed." George said. 

"Hush up, both of you," Joey told them. "it's Ginny's birthday. For her sake, can we all just act like everything's normal for one day? Harry made it out alive, and that's what matters for right now."

"Fred! George! Joey!" Mrs. Weasley called from downstairs. "Come here, please!"

Joey headed down the wooden steps, the twins in tow behind her, until they reached the landing where Mrs. Weasley gave them all a strained smile.

Joey couldn't imagine how Molly must've been feeling. Her eldest son had just gotten married, and everything was meant to be perfect, not only for Bill and Fleur, but to raise everyone else's spirits as well. And now the house was a disaster after the Death Eaters had torn through everything the night before, despite Joey's and the twins' efforts to try and get everything back to the way it was last night while everyone was asleep. They were able to clean up most of the house, but individual bedrooms were still left in shambles.

"Good morning Molly," Joey said, giving her a hug hello. "how did you sleep?"

She didn't expect that anyone had gotten much sleep. After the Death Eaters left the rest of the Blacks had gone back to meet at Sebastian's, and Remus and Tonks got Ron's room while Rowan slept on the couch in the sitting room. Joey and the twins were careful not to wake Rowan once he'd gotten to sleep as they attempted to straighten everything up, but he tossed and turned a few times.

It took Fred awhile, but eventually he was out, when his words finally turned into soft snores. She wasn't sure George slept, for when she finally fell asleep he was still conscious and when she woke up she found him the same way. 

"As well as I could," Mrs. Weasley said. "I wanted to thank you three for helping out around here last night. It means a great deal to us."

"Of course," Joey told her. "we just wanted to help in any way that we could."

"Sebastian says they should be back any moment, and Ginny's cake is almost finished. Would you and the boys mind helping set up the tables for the party today?" she asked, and Joey nodded.

"Of course. Fred, George, come on outside." Joey said, nodding over to the two boys, and they both rose, following her out the door.

"Morning, you three," Mr. Weasley said, and she surveyed the yard, which was now empty save for a few of the tables they wanted to keep out for Ginny's birthday party.

"Morning Dad," Fred and George said in unison.

"Morning," Joey told him, "thought we could lend a hand."

"Or six," George added in.

"Yes, well, why don't you three get these tables up while Remus, Tonks, and I make sure the protective enchantments are securely back in place?" Mr. Weasley suggested, and they nodded as the three of them ran off.

"Oh, the things we do for our baby sister," Fred muttered as they pulled their wands from their pockets.

Joey waved her wand, bringing the first table up and making it unfold before setting it down on the ground and doing the same thing with the chairs. Fred and George followed suit, and before long the tables were ready.

"There we go," Fred said, and was then cut off by a cracking noise in the distance.

"Well it's about time," George chimed in as the Blacks emerged from the field at the end of the yard.

"You lot alright?" Sebastian asked as they reached the end of the clearing, and he pulled Joey into a hug hello.

"We're alright," Joey said, nodding. "as alright as we can be."

"And Bill and Fleur?" he asked.

"They're inside," she told him, "in Bill's old bedroom, still. Fleur's still devastated at the events from last night. Did anyone see you? From the Ministry?"

He shook his head. "I've heard no news over the Ministry's fall. But no one in power has knowledge of my connection to the Order, so I'd say we're still safe for now."

"Where's the birthday girl?" Tommy chimed in, Penelope resting on one hip.

"She's right here," another voice came into the mix, and they turned around to see Ginny standing in the doorway, arms crossed over her chest and a small smile across her face. "thank you all for coming today."

"Last night was... rough, I will admit." Joey said, breaking the silence that had briefly fallen. "But today is a new day. We're all alright, and it's Ginny's birthday. Today's a day for celebration."

"Yesterday was meant to be a day for celebration, too," Magnus muttered under his breath.

"And it was. We celebrated that Bill and Fleur got married." she pointed out. "Sure, last night didn't go as planned. But Harry, Ron and Hermione got out, Bash didn't get outed for being a member of the Order and we're all safe. A little shaken up, but safe. So let's enjoy the day."

A silence befell everyone again, before a slow clapping sound came from Joey's right, and she turned to see Nicolette with a smile on her face as she applauded. Fred and George soon joined in after that, and one by one each of the Black siblings joined.

"That was fucking beautiful," Nicole said as soon as the applause died down.

"Thanks," Joey said, smiling as Fred and George moved two of the tables together.

"C'mon everyone, who's up for some Exploding Snap?" Fred asked. "Some games to liven up the party a bit."

The kids all sat down then, smiles written on their faces as one by one, Rowan joined, followed shortly after by Tonks, Bill and Fleur, and soon they were all playing games and eating the birthday cake Molly made, forgetting the dangers that awaited outside the Burrow.

But, for this one moment, they were safe.