35 | Ours

"See you later, Joey." Harry said, shuffling papers on his desk and glancing up in her direction. "I should be back at the Burrow in a couple hours."

"See you later, Boss." Joey said with a smile and a small salute before grabbing her case and Disapparating out of the Auror's office.

The first few days since the battle were a period of transition. While much of the group had gone back to the castle to help rebuild after the devastation from the battle, the Aurors worked to round up the remaining Death Eaters who tried to escape. Joey would wake up, say bye to George and the rest of the Weasley clan, and she and Ron would Apparate to the Aurors office where Harry had already been earlier that morning, and he would come home later that night long after Joey and Ron had left for the day.

George spent the first couple of days in bed. Joey would bring him up breakfast before she left for the Ministry in the morning, and come home to grab him dinner at night. He went back to the castle for cleanup on the third day, joining the rest of the group, but would still spend the majority of time in bed, still grieving over the loss of his twin.

Except, today, he was waiting on the front steps as soon as she arrived.

"Look who's up," Joey said with a smile as George stood up and walked over, grabbing her case and greeting her with a kiss.

"How was work?" he asked. "Catch a lot of bad guys?"

"A couple," she said with a smirk. "but rather uneventful, I'm afraid. Instead of working in the field, I'm now helping to lead the process of the trials moving forward."

"I'm in love with a badass." he said, leaning inside to set the case down before leading her back off the steps. "Come on, let's go for a walk."

The couple reached the fields beyond the Burrow, just walking in a simple stroll. Neither of them spoke for a few moments, instead just looking around at the scenery around them, taking it all in.

The war was over.

You-Know-Who was defeated once and for all, and the Wizarding World was free once again. Free to live in their homes, go to their jobs, and simply continue on with the lives they once led, even if it had cost them more than they could've ever imagined. Some of the oldest witches and wizards in the Aurors office remembered Joey's father, and would always tell her stories of his adventures over the years. Her name was a permanent reminder of what she'd lost.

However, George couldn't even look in a mirror without being reminded of Fred.

"I'm proud of you," Joey told George finally, looking up at him with a small smile.

"Come again?" he asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"You are the most amazing person I've ever met." she said. "And you've just been... you've been so strong. And I am so proud of you, George Fabian Weasley."

"Well, I've had loads of help." he insisted. "It hasn't all been me. You see, I've had a lot of help from this girl, brilliant witch, she is. She got a job as an Auror without even finishing school. How bloody cool is that? She lost a lot, too. Almost a year ago, she lost her father, and she didn't let that bring her down. Last week, she lost so many people who meant the world to her, but she still puts her loved ones first. On top of that, she even started working that Auror job, which has to be pretty demanding. So, Josephine Mary Moody, it's you I need to be proud of."

They reached a small clearing in the field, and George laid down, gesturing for Joey to lay next to him as he looked up at the clouds, searching for any shapes he could make out of the formations.

"See that one?" he asked, pointing to their left. "It's shaped like a Niffler."

Joey couldn't help but laugh, turning to look at how excited he seemed about the cloud formations.

"Did you ever think this was going to happen?" she asked, gesturing between the two of them. "Back when we were kids?"

"I think so." he said matter-of-factly. "Almost eleven years ago now, I made you that promise, when you were hiding under my bed, scared Dark wizards were going to get you. I promised you that I was always going to protect you.

"It started when you got to school." he continued on. "Anyone who gave you a second look, or tried to pull anything funny became the target of mine and Fred's pranks. I wasn't going to let anyone with bad intentions near you. Having Umbridge as a professor my last year was complete hell, but there was no way I would've let her hurt you. That's when I first found out I really fancied you, you know."

"Really?"

"Really really." he said with a cheeky grin. "You were so... determined to help fight to take down Umbridge, and it showed me just how amazing you were. I wouldn't admit, of course. Just kept thinking it was because you were my best friend, and that you were like family. Merlin, was I in for a shock?

"And then I graduated, and couldn't protect you anymore." he said finally.

"Well, you didn't exactly graduate." Joey pointed out, causing him to roll his eyes.

"Oh, like you did any better." he scoffed. "Anyways. I became too old for Hogwarts, and I couldn't see you every day. I was bloody glad you decided to come here for the holidays, so I could see you after all that time. Then this year came about, and I couldn't protect you from the pain you felt when your dad died." he said, his voice cracking a bit. "I got hurt, and couldn't comfort you the way I wanted to."

"But you were always there for me." she reassured him, laying her head on his chest.

"I tried my hardest this last year." he said. "I know I couldn't always be there when you had to deal with punishment from the Carrows, or stuff like that, but during the battle I never let you out of my sight, scared that something would happen and it would be my fault. And then... the roles were reversed. It was you taking care of me."

"Because I'm here for you." Joey assured him, sitting up and seeing him sit next to her.

"And that's exactly my point." he said with an awestruck smile. "No matter what, we've always been there to help each other, ever since we were kids. We're unstoppable, you and me. We always have been.

"I've been giving this a fair bit of thought." he said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out something he kept clenched in his hand, too small for Joey to see, and he shifted so he was so longer sitting, but instead kneeling.

"George, what are you..?" she asked, her eyes widening.

"It was my grandmother's." he said simply, unclenching his fist to reveal a tiny silver ring. "I know it's not fancy or extravagant, but... I love you, Josephine. You're my best friend, and I know I want to spend the rest of my life loving you, if you'll have me. Will you make me the happiest idiot in the world and marry me?"

"Will I..?" she trailed off, jaw dropped. "Yes!" she exclaimed, jumping forward and tackling him onto the ground, smiling wide as she laid on top of him.

George giggled, grabbing her hand to slide the ring onto her finger, smiling wide as he cupped her face in his hands, pulling her in for a kiss.

"Joey Weasley..." he mused, moving a stray piece of hair from her face and tucking it behind her ear. "I could definitely get used to that."