16 | Secret Meetings

J,

Sorry it took a while to respond to your letter. After the fiasco with Harry at the Ministry they started intercepting more and more owls for a bit, and Mum didn't think it was safe to send one until now. Hope this still finds you well.

If this letter does find you, make your way to the meeting place on November 15th at 7.

Yours truly,

G

Folding the letter up and shoving it back into her pocket, Joey looked up at the clock to see the hands showing that it was only half past six. The doors opened, and she stood to greet Rowan, Ernie, Justin and Seamus coming back, each of their messenger bags filled with food from the kitchens rather than their school supplies, which they'd left in their sleeping bags to get rid of the extra weight.

"Alright, eat up, you lot." Seamus said as soon as Justin shut the door, the four boys pulling nearly endless amounts of food from their bags, which Joey had enchanted with an Undetectable Extension Charm, and onto the table where Hannah, Cormac and the Patil twins were waiting, a few of the others joining them as the food was dispersed, everyone eager to fill their bellies.

As soon as Seamus emptied his bag, he grabbed a plate full of food, bringing it over to where Tommy lay in one of the hammocks. Ever since the day in Dark Arts class earlier that same week, he hadn't moved much, both scared to leave the Room of Requirement and still sore from the curse that shocked through his body. Nicolette rarely left his side, horrified that she could only watch while it happened and that Magnus had to be the one to petrify her.

"Alright, eat up, mate," Seamus said, and Tommy smiled, taking the plate from him.

"Joey, come on and eat," Rowan said, waving the girl over towards the table, and she slowly stood, crossing the room to where he still stood, and he passed her a dinner roll. "you've been sitting over by Ariana since before we left. What's up?"

"I'm supposed to meet George at Ab's in about thirty minutes." she explained, pulling the letter from the pocket of her robes and passing it to him. Rowan quickly scanned over the letter before folding it up and passing it back, eyebrows raised.

"So you've got a date with Weasley I see," Rowan teased, nudging her in the sides playfully, and she swatted his hand away.

"It is not a date," she insisted.

"Jo, we've been friends for years," Rowan reminded her. "I know you fancy George because I see the way you look at him. Don't deny it," he said firmly.

"I do not fancy George," she insisted, her cheeks beginning to heat up.

"Yeah, uh huh. I thought so." he teased with a smirk. "You should get going so you're not late. But be sure to tell me all about it later, because I'm nosey and want details. And don't try to hide them, because Hufflepuffs are very good finders."

"Whatever you say, Tonks," she said, rolling her eyes before heading over toward where her belongings lay and grabbing her jacket. "I'll see you later."

Hopping up on the desk placed near Ariana's painting, the girl gave Joey a smile before swinging open and revealing the passageway beyond. Joey gave one last glance at the Room of Requirement behind her, Rowan shooting her a thumbs up before she turned back to the dark passage and began to walk.

"Lumos," Joey muttered, the tip of her wand illuminating the tunnel beyond as the painting swung shut behind her.

Joey found it strange, being in the passage alone. She'd only ever gone through it the first time with Montague, then with the girls when they escaped to Hogsmeade in the middle of the night. Now, being there alone seemed to prove just how dark and damp the tunnel really was.

After what seemed like forever, Joey finally reached the end of the passage, Ariana swinging out to reveal the kitchen beyond. George sat at the table, but Aberforth was nowhere to be found. As soon as his eyes landed on the girl, George's face lit up and he hurried over, helping her down onto the ground and pulling her into a hug. She hugged him back, a huge smile crossing her face.

"Hiya, Georgie," she said. "where's Ab?"

"He's in the other room," he said. "just told us to lock up on our way out and take the key with us so we can get back in. Where do you want to go first?"

"What's still open?" she asked in response, following him out of the small house. 

"Not much, if I'm being honest." he said solemnly. "Zonko's is shut down. But on the bright side, Honeydukes is still open!" he exclaimed, his face lighting up.

"So let's go grab some sweets and go down by the Shrieking Shack?" she suggested, and he nodded. "We were there the other night. It's great to just sit and think."

"You're full of good ideas," he said, leading the way to Honeydukes and opening the door, the smell of sweets instantly flooding their noses as the door came open with the familiar jangling of the bell overhead.

"Welcome, you two," the shopkeep said. "anything I can assist you with?"

"No, thank you," Joey answered, "I'm just here for the Sugar Quills," she said, crouching down in front of the display with a smile and grabbing a few off the shelf.

"Uncultured," George muttered, shaking his head and grabbing a couple Fizzing Whizzbees. These are what's actually best, Joey."

"I didn't say I wasn't also here for the Fizzing Whizzbees," she said, shaking her head and grabbing one before heading up to the counter and handing the shopkeep a handful of Galleons before shoving the candy into the pocket of her jacket, George following suit.

"You kids take care," the man said, bidding them goodbye. "be sure to watch out, walking around at this time of night. Gets dangerous."

"Thank you, sir," Joey said with a polite smile, the bell jangling overhead once more as the door shut behind them.

"Well, would you look at that," George said, looking up as it started to snow, the boy's breath visible in tiny puffs. "isn't that just something?"

"Come on," she said, leading him over towards the end of the clearing.

"But Joey, I want to make snow angels!" George protested, grabbing her arm to try and hold her back from going any further. 

"The snow hasn't stuck to the ground yet, dummy," Joey protested, rolling her eyes as a smirk crossed her face. "Come on. Maybe it will later."

George and Joey reached the end of the clearing, the Shrieking Shack barely in view in the dark moonlight, and she sat down amidst the falling snow. George followed suit, and out of habit, she laid her head on his shoulder, nestling closer to him for warmth.

"So what's been going on these past couple of weeks?" he asked.

"It's been awful," she admitted, and instantly felt him shift as he looked down at her with a concerned expression. "I mean, we're getting the numbers finally. More and more people are joining us, but it's a fucking prison back there. Tommy was tortured in class the other day."

"He was..." George trailed off. "Bloody hell, what happened?"

"It was completely mad," she explained. "we went in for a Dark Arts lesson, and Carrow was going to teach us about the Imperius and Cruciatus Curses. He demonstrated the Imperius Curse by using it on Magnus, then when Nic and Tommy got upset, he made Magnus used the Body-Bind Curse on Nic to keep her still, then Carrow demonstrated the Cruciatus Curse by using it on Tommy. Oh George, it's horrible back there."

"We're going to do everything in our power to make sure you guys are safe." George promised, looking Joey in the eyes. "I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure you're safe." 

George slowly leaned in closer, his eyes flickering between Joey's eyes and lips as he kept leaning in, and Joey's eyes shut as his lips slowly met hers. She slowly kissed him back, surprised at first before she relaxed into it, arms wrapping around his neck as she pulled him closer.

Boy, was Rowan going to be happy to hear this.