15 | New Recruits

"Any word from Monty or Luna?" Ginny asked as she oversaw Lavendar Brown, Colin and Dennis Creevey, Cormac McLaggen and Parvati Patil signing the new Dumbledore's Army list.

"Last we heard, Monty said they were going to see which of the Ravenclaw students they could find in the common room to recruit." Nicolette said as the doors opened and Luna and Monty quickly waved a group inside before shutting the door behind them.

Along with the group stood Padma Patil, Terry Boot, Michael Corner and Anthony Goldstein, all looking around the room nervously, as if they weren't sure where to start. At the back of the group Monty stood with Octavian Parks, his younger brother who had also been sorted into Ravenclaw. Luna led them over to where Parvati was finishing signing her name, and then stood back up, greeting her sister with a smile.

"Right this way," Luna said, the usual dreamy tone never once leaving her voice.

"Sign your name over here, then go over to where Neville will give you a sleeping bag, or you can put your things on one of the hammocks if you would like." Ginny said, moving the line along.

The next day after the girls' retreat to Hogsmeade, they had returned from classes to find a nearly endless amount of sleeping bags in a pile not far from where theirs were laid out, as well as hammocks now hanging around the room, signaling that they were now in need of greater numbers to protect from the looming threat of the Carrows and other Death Eaters patrolling the castle. Joey and Nicolette had gone down to grab a few students to bring back up while Tommy and Seamus were still there, ready to grab another group later on, in an effort to not draw as much attention.

"Alright, next group's here." Arden announced as she led in a few Hufflepuff students, Rowan bringing up the rear to shut the door behind him. 

Arden led the group, made up of Hannah Abbott, Ernie Macmillan, Justin Finch-Fletchley, Lissy Black and Mariam Parks, Monty's younger sister over towards the line. Joey couldn't help but notice Lissy and Mariam walking together, the two having been inseparable since they first met during the Opening Feast their first year. Arden quickly made sure everyone was where they needed to be before running back over towards where Joey stood and pulling her cousin into a tight hug.

"I can't believe this is all actually working." she said, bouncing up and down on her heels. "Oh I'm so happy, I could just-"

"No time for crying yet, Moody," Monty warned her. "we've got Potions in twenty minutes."

"And we've got Dark Arts," Joey scoffed, rolling her eyes. "can't wait to see what kind of lesson Carrow's got for us today. It's bloody awful. Whatever they say, the Slytherins just sit and cheer it on, while the rest of us just have to take it."

"We should get going," Nicolette said, quickly hugging her little sister goodbye and calling out for the other seventh year Gryffindors to follow them. "Just remember everyone, we go in small groups. If we pour out of here in a huge line, they'll know something's up. The less time that door remains open, the better. Got it?"

"Sir, yes sir," Cormac said, pretending to salute, and Nic rolled her eyes.

"And that's what I call overkill, McLaggen," she said. "get a move on."

Joey and Nicolette led the first small group of Gryffindors out of the room and down the stairs, headed for the third floor towards the Dark Arts classroom. As soon as they arrived, the front half of the room was nearly full of Slytherin students, waiting to see what Carrow prepared for that day's lesson.

"Alright, take your seats," Carrow said as they arrived, and Joey quickly slid into an empty seat next to Nicolette. "no lollygagging."

As soon as class was set to start, Carrow waved his wand, causing the door to slam shut and lock out any students who would've dared to show up late. He then crossed over to the blackboard, enchanting a piece of chalk to begin writing out the names of the three unforgivable curses.

"Today we're going to be learning about two of the unforgivable curses," Carrow began, a grin crossing his face. "and the ways they can be useful."

"He can't be serious," Nic muttered under her breath.

"Wicked!" Crabbe exclaimed.

"Now, now, settle down," Carrow said. "we're going to begin with the Imperius Curse. Now, should you need someone to do your bidding, let's say you don't want to get your hands dirty, you would just pick up your wand and..." he trailed off, raising his wand and aiming it towards Magnus. "Imperio,"

"No!" Nicolette and Tommy both exclaimed, and Joey grabbed Nic to hold her back while Seamus did the same with Tommy, unwilling to let either of their friends be caught in Carrow's crossfire.

"Silence, you two," Carrow snapped at them, turning his attention back towards where Magnus had now stood up, facing Carrow. His usual demeanor of perfect posture had shifted, and he slouched a bit, as if he were sleepwalking. "Jump," Carrow said softly, causing Magnus to no longer stand still, but instead begin jumping up and down where he stood. "Good... now," Carrow said, walking up to Magnus and whispering in his ear.

Magnus slowly turned and walked up to where Nicolette stood next to Joey, his wand raised towards his sister.

"Petrificus Totalus," Magnus said, and Nicolette froze, nearly falling if Joey hadn't been there to catch her.

"Nic," Joey muttered, holding her up. "Nic, come on. Come on," 

"She'll be alright," Carrow said. "Serves her right for attempting to disrupt my class. Well students, you see how the Imperius Curse could be used to one's advantage. Now we're going to move onto the Cruciatus Curse, which can be used in order to gain information from those such as mudbloods and muggles.

"As you know, the Cruciatus Curse is the torture curse." Carrow continued on. "Should you need information out of somebody, you just simply have to force it out of them. For today's demonstration, we're going to continue to demonstrate why you shouldn't disrupt my class."

Without another word, he raised his wand again, this time aiming at Tommy's chest.

"Crucio,"

With a yell, Tommy fell to the ground as the other Slytherins in the room began to laugh. Millicent Bulstrode jumped up onto her chair in order to see past Crabbe and Goyle standing in front of her. Tommy lay writhing on the floor as Seamus crouched down next to him, Neville right behind them cringing and waiting for it to be over. Nicolette still stood motionless from the Body-Bind Curse, her eyes darting back and forth in horror as her brother still lay on the ground, the curse rushing through his body.

When he was finally satisfied, Carrow broke contact and Tommy slowly lay still, his chest rising and falling slowly as he tried to catch his breath. Carrow looked around the room, watching as the Slytherins all fell silent as well as the Gryffindors.

"Class dismissed!"