*Dragons and Ladders*

"What are you doing?"

"Nothing...!"

I yelp, quickly hiding the scroll I held in my hands.

Once I turn around and face the person next to me, a long sigh of relief escapes my lips.

"Oh Hakuen! It's just you"

The second imperial price looks at me, amused.

"Just me, you say? That's not very nice of you..." He pouts and I smile thinking he looks too cute.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that... " I apologize, still smiling.

"Ok, I forgive you. So, what are you hiding?" He questions, peering over my shoulder.

Having no answer from me, a mischievous smirk appears on his face as he moves closer, trying to grab what I'm hiding. His face so close to mine that makes me nervous.

I'm... Nothing! What are you doing here anyway?" I walk backwards, until I hit a book shelve.

"Why can't I be at the library? I can't be an intellectual like Kouen or Yuu?"

He puts his hands over his chest, pretending to be hurt by my question.

"Of course you can! It's just... Well, you are never here, that's all" I shrug.

"I shall forgive you again." He says, making an exaggerated bow. "Now, are you going to tell me what're you hiding?"

"Ok... It's nothing important. Just a scroll I found" I reluctantly handle it to him.

"What is this?" Hakuren frowns, after opening it.

"I think it's a map of the place" I explain, standing next to him and pointing at the map printed on the scroll.

"It shows some entrances, paths and even tunnels I never thought exited" I keep explaining.

"This is amazing! Where did you find it?" Hakuren seems really excited by my discovery.

"Well, Remember I told you that I had been reading some books and scrolls while you were gone? Well, I spend some time looking at some paper Kouen had left here. Once I finished, I was trying to put them back where they belong, and I come across this. It was all dusty. I don't think it had been opened in a long time"

"And have you checked if any of these things are really there?" He asks, studying the scroll again.

"No, no really. You think I should?" I look at the scroll and gaze back at him.

"Of course! I'll help you!" He smiles and nods.

We are too lost in our chat to notice that someone else has entered the room.

"Ren, what are you doing?"

Both of us Look back to face the first imperial prince. He's not wearing his usual clothes, but instead, he is using the traditional formal ropes.

" Look at you Yuu! All fancy!" Hakuren mocks, making his brother roll his eyes.

"Prince Hakuyuu" I turn my body to completely face him, and bow.

"Nerea don't do that... I've told you numerous times to just call me by my name" He sounds irritated.

"I'm sorry... But what if someone hears? Besides, you look all... Emperor" I tease, and Hakuren chuckles next to me.

"What if they do? And I'm not the Emperor, you know?"

"Not yet" Hakuren points out.

Hakuyuu finally moves his attention to his brother.

"You haven't answered my question Ren, and you haven't even change!" He scolds, looking at his brother up and down "I've been looking everywhere for you. I never expected to find you here..." He trails off, looking around the library.

"You too!? Why can't I be at the library!?" Hakuren grumbles, and this it's me and his brother how chuckle "Anyway, Nerea founded this scroll that has a strange map of the Palace..." He explains, waving the scroll in front of his brother's face.

"That sounds interesting, but I need you to come with me. We have that meeting with our father and the advisors. And You need to change your clothes right now" Hakuyuu turns to leave, gesturing his brother to follow.

"Fine" the youngest prince reluctantly agrees. "I'll see you later ok?" He smiles looking at me, handing me back the scroll.

"Sure. Good luck" I nod and smile.

"Nerea" Hakuyuu slightly bows his head.

Pri-...your...- Hakuyuu" I stumble upon my own words, before bowing back.

Hakuren chuckles and walks next to his brother, leaving the library.

Once I'm alone, I glance back at the scroll on my hands. Maybe I should check if it's real. You never know when this kind of things can come in handy.

I make my way out of the library, after hiding the scroll under one of the layers of my dress.

The moment I cross the door, I stumble against someone. Looking up, I see no other than Empress Gyokuen.

Things between the Emperor's wife and I are strange, to say the least. From the very first day I met her, up until now, her treatment towards me has always been full of false cordiality.

At the beginning, I was too young to realize it, but, over the years, I realized that she really doesn't like me. I think the fact that I'm so close to her children has a lot to do with it.

While the princes and her husband were away, during the war, the empress barely showed herself around the Palace.

She had spent most of her time meeting with people that I didn't know, taking little Judar with her. The few times I crossed paths with her, she was accompanied by strange looking people and the woman used to gave me a strange smile that somehow always scared me.

"Watch your steps, my dear" The Empress speaks in a kind voice, but looks at me with disapproval.

"I'm so sorry, your Highness" I bow deeply.

"It's ok, don't worry about it" She smiles, straightening her dress. "Where are you going in such a hurry? Are you looking for my sons?" she gazes into my eyes, tilting her head to the side.

"N-no... They just left, actually" I look at her nervously.

"Oh, I see. I have noticed you spend a great amount of time with them." Gyokuen looks at her perfect nails, and back to me.

"I guess... We are friends, your highness" I say, looking down. I don't know why we are having this conversation, but I don't like it.

"Friends, of course. Well, I hope you are not expecting to be anything more than that. They are royally after all, and you... Are not" She states, and there is a world of arrogance in the way she says it.

"Of course. I know that." I nod "Please excuse me, I need to go." I use all my self control to act calm and give her a gentle smile.

"Of course. Go ahead" She nods and smiles back, moving to let room for me to walk pass her.

"Thank you, your Highness"

I bow deeply again before walking away as fast as I can.

I definitely hate that woman.

.

.

.

"It bothers you, doesn't it?" The second prince asks, without looking at the man walking next to him.

"What are you talking about?" Hakuyuu glances at his brother.

"It bothers you that even now she keeps being so formal with you" The younger man points out, with a smirk on his lips.

"It doesn't bother me. I have more important things to worry about than that" The first princes huffs, avoiding his brother's gaze.

"Well, I think it does, because, you know... she is soo beautiful..." Hakuren mocks, gaining a glare from the first prince.

"Just shut up Ren"