Chapter Thirty-One

Nicki

After a sleepless night and finally getting about an hours rest, I was woken up by loud knocking on the door. "Come in." The door opened revealing Khyree. "Wassup sexy" he winked.

"Hey Khy." By now everyone knew what was happening with me. My kids knew I was sick but were too young to understand the severity of how sick I was, so I chose to let them believe I'd be back to normal and home soon.

"I got you this." He held up a fluffy pink teddy bear and a box of chocolates. "Thanks." He placed the bear and chocolates on the chair and sat by my feet at the end of the white plastic hospital bed that I had been confined to for almost two weeks now. "How are you feeling?" How are you feeling? How am I feeling? There wasn't a question I hated more. How should I feel? My whole body hurt from head to toe, the meds they had me on were making me throw up every other hour, my hair was falling out, Dave could bare to see me, I was lying to my kids and I just wanted to go home.

I shrugged. "Same as yesterday." I didn't need anyone feeling sorry for me. "Come closer." I held up my arms to him. He hesitated before walking over, climbing up onto the side of the bed and wrapping his arms around me. "Am I hurting you?" He asked worriedly and I heard him sniffing. I immediately frowned. "I know you're not crying Khyree."

"Nah there was something in my eye." He lied and I was honestly in shock. Khyree never cried and I would have never ever thought he cared enough to cry about me. "Liar, I don't even know why you're crying. I'm fine, everything's gonna be okay." I said as I held his face in my hands.

"I can't lose you Nic." Khyree admitted. "I'm not going anywhere." He was quiet for a minute before a suspicious grin appeared on his face. "You're so fucking sexy Nic." He said. I immediately burst out laughing.

"Only you would constantly try to fuck someone while they hooked up to a bunch of machines, looking a hot ass mess and laid up in hospital." He shook his head. "Nah I'm not even trying anything right now. You're beautiful as fuck and I'm sorry for all the shit I put you through over the years, you didn't deserve none of that."

"Truth is I really love you Nic." He said. I don't know what it was about the way he said it but it made me believe every word he said.

I wrapped my arms tightly around him, we stayed like that for a little while until I felt his hand slip down to my ass. "Nigga move your hands." I laughed. He held his hands up and sat back. "Can't blame me for trying. Anyway that nigga Dave came to see you yet?" I looked down shaking my head no. "He's still upset because I didn't tell him but he needs to understand it wasn't personal, I didn't tell nobody."

"Yeah about that...why didn't you?"He asked . I shrugged. "I didn't want to be that person Khy. The person everyone treats differently because their sick." I answered. Khyree said nothing and proceeded to look me up and down before lifting the sheets.

"What?" I frowned confused. "Yo why do they have you in these fuck me clothes?" He asked pulling on the rim of my satin red lace trimmed shorts, I playfully slapped his hands away. "Khyree! Was you listening to what I said?"

"Yeah I was and I get you." He said lowly rubbing on my exposed thigh. "Stop and stop looking at me like that." I warned.

"You want some head?" He asked seriously looking me right in my eyes.

"No. Don't you remember what happened last time?" Khyree was just up here a couple days ago, we messed around and a bunch of doctors and nurses walked in on me with my legs in the air.

"I don't give a fuck bout that and you know it." He replied. "You're so nasty. Move." I pushed his face away.

"Shit it's 3 already? I gotta go get Bronx" He said when his phone buzzed and he saw the time. "I'll call you later okay?" I nodded. He started walking towards the door but stopped and turned back. "Before I go." He grabbed my face and kissed my forehead "Keep fighting Nic!"

Later on that day my mom came to visit, we was laying in a comfortable silence as she hummed lowly, playing in my hair.

"Dave still hasn't come back to see me yet." Literally everyone I ever knew had been up here. Bitches I ain't seen since high school and dumb niggas I use to get high with showed up but Dave still hadn't came back. "Baby you gotta understand how hard this is for him. His mother just died and now he thinks he might lose you." My mom said I knew she was right but still I was sick and all I wanted was him.

"You know what's weird? Khyree has been up here everyday since I told him." I told her.
"Do you think he'll be okay with Bronx?" I asked. She sat up confused. "What do you mean?"

"When this shit finally kills me... Do you think he'll be okay with raising Bronx?" She rolled her eyes and I saw her clench her jaw. "I told you already to stop talking like that. You're gonna beat this."

She stood up from the bed and grabbed her purse. I knew it must've been hard for her to hear me say these things out loud but It had to be said. I noticed her trying her best to hold back her tears but a few had already escaped.

"I know your trying to be positive but these are my kids lives. I need to make sure they're good." I tried to explain. She completely brushed off what I was talking about. "I'm going to the store. You want anything?"

"How the fuck I gained weight?" I mumbled to myself as I struggled to slip on one of my dresses Laira had bought up here for me earlier. "Damn baby I thought you were sick." I heard a deep familiar voice say. I turned and squealed happily before jumping into his arms. "Marcus!"

"Hey baby girl." He wrapped my legs around him and I couldn't stop smiling. "How'd you know I was here?"

"Aaliyah." I rolled my eyes at the thought of her running around telling everybody. "She stays telling people my business." "I'm glad she did. I missed you." He walked across the room over to the large leather recliner chair and sat down with me straddling him. "How them babies?"

"Babies? You know Bronx is about to be 6." I told him. "No fucking way! Lil Bronx?!" I nodded. My baby was really growing up. "How about the baby?"

"She's three." He shook his head in disbelief. "That's crazy."

I leaned forward and gently laid my head on his shoulder. "You know when you get out of here I got a job waiting on you." He said and I immediately rolled my eyes. "Marcus stop it. We both know that I'm not gonna make it out of this place." I whispered.

"Don't say that shit. You got this."

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————