Chapter 1

It's the end of the month and my favorite day: my monthly allowance! My father owns this big company that does biomedical research and is on the verge of great medical advances. My mother works alongside him, and together they are a literal power couple. They bring in more than enough money to support the whole city.

I don't see my parents too often, but at least I can do whatever I want with the money given to me. We live in the most beautiful, richest pack in the world: Northern Pack. In this pack, everyone can afford anything they want and there are no poor people! My Alpha makes sure everyone can support themselves and makes sure there are no people eating off the government here. I've read through the policies before, but it's too boring to really comprehend it. Instead, I spend my time getting decent grades and hanging out with my friends. They are not as rich as me, but they are by far wealthier than most rich people in other packs. Even the poorest person living here is richer than a common person in another pack. At least that's what I've been told. None of us here leave this pack because it's perfect.

I finish up my makeup and make sure my outfit is decent enough to show myself in. I still want to look great as a middle schooler, even though most people would disagree with kids looking like adults. I don't care what they think.

I get in my Lexus, passing over my Mercedes-Benz because it isn't as shiny today, and sit in the passenger seat. My driver that was waiting for me turns the keys in the ignition and starts his course for school. I admire myself in the mirror and get out of the car when he stops in front of my school. Dylan, my best friend, runs up to my car and takes my backpack for me. He usually waits for me every day because he is so friendly. It has become tradition for him to wait on me and I offer my friendship in return. We have similar classes together, so we are practically inseparable during the day.

Today, our class watched the annual screening of the day our Alpha became the best Alpha ever. It's amazing to watch him take over his father's role without a Luna. It's not uncommon, but it is when he swore off the Luna when he met her. He wanted the best Luna ever but she ended up being a regular person that moved here when she was young. I don't feel sorry for her since she wasn't born to look the part. She should have gotten surgery or something to make her attractive. Such a pity that she was born with a defect.

The video shows the growth of our magnificent city and describes the wonderful advancements, particularly by my dad. We all clap when it's done and continue our day. After an uneventful day of classes, I head back to my car. My best friend, Dylan, rushes to my side and talks to me, " Hey, May!" I glance over and nod my head. He slows his pace to match mine, "So there was this new girl in class today that was pretty cute. Do you think I'll end up with a mate that pretty?"

I stop walking when I reach the car door and turn to him, "Did you talk to her?" I avoid his question and ask one of my own. "She can't be a part of our group, so if you start dating her, our friendship will stop."

He stares at me, smile dropping, and shakes his head. "No, I was just wondering if I could have a date with someone like her." I smile at him and pat his head, "Good! If you meet someone, they have to go through me first. I don't accept just anyone."

He gives me a small smile, "Would someone like you meet the requirements?" I look up at the sky and think. I open the car door and pat his head, "Someone like me would do!" I shut the car door when I'm in and we drive off. Leaving Dylan behind to stare at the spot we left. After that day, he has been a lot nicer to me, if that was even possible, and his attitude changed through the years.

*

I turn up the music and let the wind fly through my hair as I race down the road. Today was my last day of high school and the biggest day of everyone's lives. The mating party is tonight! This is when everyone who graduates gets to go to the biggest party of the year to mingle with people to find their mates.