Chapter 5

I wake up by falling onto the ground with a thump. I quickly get up and look around for any sign of danger, but only see the man from last night standing in front of me. He has the bale of hay I was sleeping on in his hands and tosses it back to where it was before I fell. I glare at him and he crosses his arms. "Didn't wake up." He gives me a lame excuse as to why he had to wake me up like this.

"Ever heard of a, 'good morning,' or even a shake?" I ask him. I wipe off my clothes of hay that had woven itself in my clothing. I sigh from my expensive clothing becoming dirty. He shakes his head at my preppy attitude and turns toward the unbarricaded door, "I'm trying to have the least amount of contact with you." He doesn't seem to want to be around me at all, yet forces me to stay with him? What a confusing man.

I follow him outside and we walk for a handful of hours. Skipping breakfast doesn't roll well with me, but luckily my growls are very quiet. We are no longer in the country portion of our pack, which is very small. My company is located right next to the country portion just so it was out of the way of everyone else, but it backfired for me when I was basically kidnapped.

Now in the suburban area, he is more cautious with me. I don't know why he is so worried. I'm not going to say a peep now that I know he could hurt me in a heartbeat. I still need to get whatever he stole from me, so my mission is incomplete. We reach a small shop and he looks down to look inside one of his jacket pockets. I reach the side of him and try to slip my hand by his jacket to feel whatever he stole but get caught. He grabs my hand and glares at me. I whistle and look away, playing off as best as I can even though I clearly look suspicious.

He lets go of my hand after turning me to face him. "Don't say anything. Got it?" He looks serious, warning me not to do anything that will get us caught in this shop. I nod my head and walk inside first. A bell rings, alerting the shop keeper of customers entering. The older man greets us with a smile and I smile back. In the front there are snacks, medicines, and basic items. In the back are refrigerated items and foods. The man I am with enters behind me and looks around with his hands in his pockets.

He looks very suspicious wearing all black, but I balance out the weirdness. I glance at the various products and wonder if I should buy some products for our little trip. Soaps and fresh clothing is needed as soon as possible because I am not going to become some bum overnight. Before I can grab a hair brush that was closest to me, my companion grabs my wrist and pulls me to the back of the small store. He grabs a sandwich out of the fridge and I take one along with a water. He grabs a soda and a bag of chips and walks up to the cashier.

I see him put his stuff on the counter and reach into his pockets. His movements are slow and I become scared. The cashier also looks very nervous and is reaching under the counter. I know that there are buttons under these types of counters that will call the police if the worker feels threatened or if there is a problem. I think my companion is about to rob the guy. I quickly rush up to the counter and place my things on the counter and fake smile at my companion.

I place my hand on his shoulder and he looks at me with a confused face. I try to diffuse the situation before he can make me a criminal on the run. "Don't worry about it, hun. I've got this." I take out my sleek, black debit card and hand it to the man. He calms down and smiles at me. When everything is paid for, he hands back my card and says, "Thank you for your patronage, Miss... Delreal?"

I nod my head, "In the flesh." He smiles at me and I wave goodbye, taking our things in a bag and leading the man who was about to rob a store, outside. When we are out of sight, I slam my fist into his arm. "What the heck was that!?" I yell at him.

He rubs his arm and pushes me back, "What was that? I was trying to get money for the road, but miss rich has money of her own." I roll my eyes and hand him his bag of food. I take mine and start eating it while walking away. It's his turn to follow me before overtaking me and walking ahead.