Chapter 12

I run back to the house that Ryland is hopefully still sleeping in. As I ventured alone through the small town, I bought medicine and a scarf for Ryland. I ran into a few suspicious guys staring at me, but they were probably major creeps. They catcalled me a few times, so that's why I ended up running back halfway through, just in case they tried to follow me.

I get to the front door and open it carefully. The first thing I see is Ryland awake. Ugh! He is going to be so mad at me leaving! He is sitting down where he was sleeping at, with the blanket around him and my card in his hands. He seemed to be staring at my debit card with a mixture of confusion and sadness. I wonder why for a second before my mind is wiped when he locks eyes with me. Upon entering the room, his face contorts to anger and he stands up. The blanket slides off of his body as he stomps toward me. I shut the door and back away from him.

"Why did you leave?" He yells at me. I cower away but show the bag I was holding. He looks down at it and then back at me. "You left to go shopping!?"

I nod but defend myself, "I left to get you some medicine. I noticed you were sick, so I wanted to help you." His face softens as he takes the bag from my hand and takes out the scarf and holds it up to look at it. "I also got you this so you stay warm. This medicine is from my parent's lab. It should cure you pretty well, but it can't prevent you from getting sick again."

He looks guilty, locking eyes with me after viewing the items I bought for him. I don't think he expected me to return his niceness, "You gave me a blanket last night because I was cold. You got sick because of me. I want to return the favor."
He nods his head and backs away from me, "You were stupid for going out by yourself." Still facing me, he speaks softly, "Thank you." He then turns away to open the box of medicine and get to his stuff. I walk to my spot with my stuff and get ready to set out again. I smile when I see him take the medicine, and my smile widens when he puts the scarf around his neck. He doesn't notice my slowed movements of stuffing the blanket into my backpack, and I'm grateful. He doesn't see me admiring him for the first time.

I can't believe I didn't notice how incredibly hot he looks. Even if he is sick right now, his bone structure is practically perfect. If I had to point out flaws, I could probably do it, but even with his flaws he is gorgeous. His slightly tanned skin matches perfectly with his dark brown hair and brown eyes. Usually, brown hair isn't my type. I like a good blonde or black-headed guy. My last relationship was with a redhead with slightly brown tints. Why are my tastes different from the guys I end up being around?

Ryland looks over just in time to see me staring at his hair and he gives me a curious look. I try to recover myself from the impending blush forming on my face by practically yelling, "Ready!" He stands up straight with his items across his back in his backpack and motions for me to walk to him. I stand up with my things, double checking my pockets for money and my card.

He reaches his hand out to give me back my debit card he still had. I thank him and put it back safely in my possession. We head out again for more walking. I hope we get to wherever we are going soon because I don't know how much longer my legs and feet are going to last. I'm pretty fit and healthy, but not that fit!

Up until lunch time during midday, I take glances at Ryland to watch his health. He seems to be getting better, but still struggling since we are not in the best weather for recovery. I get an idea and try to persuade him, "For lunch, can we eat inside today? It's warmer inside than outside, so it will be healthier than this."

He considers my idea, but shakes his head. I continue, "Come on! You'll feel a lot better with actual warmth. Plus, I want to sit down." He seems to be taking care of me in his own strange way by giving me better places to sleep and a blanket, so I feel like I should also take care of this peculiar man who says is going to murder me at the end of this.