Chapter 17

As the morning sun rose into the sky, I got out of bed to face the new day. Ryland was not with me, probably already out working for us to stay here, and only left me a note by the bed telling me that the Lady of the house will fetch me in the morning. I lay the note down and get ready before someone comes in. I don't want their first impression of me be poor because I didn't get up and ready in time. Although, I think their first impression had already been made when I was brought on the back of Ryland last night.

I have to wait a while before someone knocks on my door. When they do, they enter with a meek smile and eager eyes. A woman about 45 years of age with short brown hair and light grey eyes meets me in the center of the small room and clasps her hands with mine. "You have been sleeping for a long time. Are you feeling better?"

I nod my head, "Very much, thank you." I needed a lot of rest since I have done nothing but walk for miles continuously for days when I was not used to much activity. I must have been really exhausted to not even get up when being dressed and taken into a new home. "Where is Ryland?" I can't help but ask of his whereabouts. I don't even know what time he left this morning, so he may need more sleep than me at this point. Maybe I can tag team him with the work so I can help out?

She smiles at me, "He is working the farm with my husband. Don't worry, he will be back in an hour or so for lunch." My eyes widen. I can't believe I slept for so long! The kind-hearted lady smiles, "He is a very nice young man. Did you know he carried you here and asked if you two could stay for the night? He also said he'd let you stay with us while he stays outside."

I freeze in my spot. I had no idea Ryland would go through all of this just for me. He recently just started to show emotion toward to me, but I didn't think it would go this far. Just a few days ago he wanted to kill me when we went back to his homeland. Now, he wants to protect me like I am his lifeline. Like if something happened to me, he would be affected too. Almost like I was his mate. I laugh at the thought of us actually being mates. That would be crazy and impossible.

The woman leads me out of the room and into a dining area. I sit down and chat with her for a while before thinking about a way to help out. We can't stay here and work for them. We need to find a way to get through that man's property. I wondered why we just didn't sneak though, but it might be for a reason that Ryland didn't tell me yet.

She is sitting in front of me with a glass of water in her hands. I decide to pick her mind a little while I can, "So what made you want to take us in so late at night?" They must've been in bed when we arrived.

She smiles at me and places her cup down, "We let in strangers all the time in our home. Selectively, of course. We believe everyone has a reason for being drawn to our house for help, so we do what we can. We're quite poor in money, but rich in heart."

Poor in money but rich in heart? What does that even mean? She senses my confusion and laughs, "We have more than enough to live on. Anything more would just be a waste. It is important to help others, when they cannot help themselves. Good fortune will find its way back."

I nod my head to her wisdom. I'm rich, but I've never done anything to help others around me. I've been selfish. These poor people are nicer than all the people I've met in my rich city. Looking back at previous people I've met, I decided to sacrifice something of mine to get through that man's house. I need to not be selfish for once. "Do you have a hair tie?" I ask her.

She nods and walks away, coming back with a small pink tie. I pull my hair together and put it together loosely. The bundle is on my back, just a little under my shoulders. I grab the scissors from the table by her couch for sewing, and get settled on the chair. She watches me, curious, as I start to cut away 20 inches of blonde hair. I'm internally panicking from cutting hair I've had for most of my life, but it is for the good of my future to let go of the past. I finish cutting it all off and the short strands fall to the sides of my face, freely.