Chapter 9

"You need me to what!?" I almost yell at him.

He looks back at the hole in the door and says, "When I open this door, I need you to run to the back of this motel and scream as loud as you can. I'll sneak around to the car and drive across the street. Meet me there after you scream as fast as you can." I cross my arms and stare at him. He grabs my bag and tosses it over his shoulder. "Ready?"

I shake my head furiously, "What!? No!" I don't want to run to the back of the motel and scream, potentially getting caught by who knows what! He opens the door and pushes me out first, closing the door behind us and crouching down. I stand by the door like an idiot before getting pushed once more on my leg. I make a run for it, as fast as I can, to do what I have to do and then meet back up.

As I'm running, I make sure not to trip like one of those idiots in horror movies. Once I make it to what I think is the back, I scream from the top of my lungs. I think Ryland wanted me to do this as a diversion. The people after us will come back here to look while we sneak off in the front. But why would people be after us?

Do they know that I've been kidnapped? Are they my search group and Ryland wanted me to scream because they would be after me? Or is that a group coming back to take the car we basically stole even though we bought it? Or maybe they aren't after me at all, but only him. He did steal something even worse than a car after all.

I run to the back entrance of the building and sneak through the inside of the building to get to the front. When I see the coast clear, I run outside the building and toward the parking lot. Ryland had already left with the car. I run across the street and look around for the car we were in before. What was the color again? UGH I don't even remember what type of car it was!

I try to hide myself while looking for him, but I can't see him anywhere. Did he leave me all alone here!? I wouldn't put it passed him. Making me take all the blame and run around like an idiot while he rides off free. I wait for a minute more but still no sign of him. This restaurant's parking lot is empty and I doubt he would hide the car inside the building. I sigh and look inside my jacket. At least I have my jacket with cash and my card inside. I'm still in my pajamas though, and it's freezing!

Lights flash behind me but I don't want to look. I've been found by the people chasing us. This could either be good or bad. If they were looking for me so they could bring me back, that's sort of good. I don't have the vial I wanted to take back, but at least I'll be safe. Though, Ryland would most likely come back for me so he could kill me since I know some of his secrets.

The lights flash again and I squeeze my eyes shut. It's probably flashlights getting closer to me. I'm surprised they haven't yelled at me yet. Maybe they haven't noticed me here and are just looking. What if they want to hurt me? If they are after Ryland and saw that he was with me, they would take me to get to him. Oh, God! How did I end up here!?

The lights shine again, but this time a voice carries itself into the night. I open my eyes immediately. I know this voice very well, "Hey, moron! Get in quick!" I smile at the thought of not being abandoned and turn around. I quickly hide my smile with a frown and run up to the car on the side of the road. He rolls back up the passenger's side window as I open the door and hop in. He gradually steps on the gas pedal and we ride down the road, leaving whoever was chasing us, behind. My seatbelt finally clicking together, I glare at the man next to me.

He glances over to me with a slight frown, but then smirks on the second, "You know, I would have complimented you on your performance back there. Unfortunately, it has been canceled out by the five minutes you wasted crying by a bush."
I cross my arms, "I was not crying and it was only like two minutes."

He shifts in his seat and shakes his head, "You looked around for me while I was parked farther away. When I came here for you, you refused to look around more and just sat by a bush with your eyes closed." He glances over at me with another smirk, "Was little Maura scared?"

He's taunting me, but hearing my name on his lips makes me stop for a second before arguing. My heart fluttered for half a second, but I can't place why it would. Maybe it is because it's the first time using my name other than repeating it back to me. "Would it be that bad if I was?"

His smirk hardens, "Did you think you were all alone? That you'd have to fend for yourself?"

I turn away from him and look out the window, "I was only scared that I'd get caught by whoever was chasing me. You can't blame me for fearing the worst, thinking that you left me to take all the blame for whatever went on."

He stops smirking and focuses on the road. I look over to him, "Who were they anyways?" I ask him but he doesn't answer me. "Why were they after us?"

"They are after me. I'm not exactly friends with the Northern Pack." He says.

"Why is that?" I ask him, hoping for a reply. He's not very good with those.

He sighs, "Well," he checks his surroundings, "My people and your people aren't on good terms. Part of my people are your people. Hence, the slavery you all condone as legal."

"But what did you do to make my pack hate you?" I ask him. He glances over at me with a frown, "Why must I be the one to something for them to hate me? I did nothing."

I tilt my head as he continues, "Your pack tried to ruin mine, turning mine almost nonexistent. They are after me because I hold a powerful position and they want to stomp us out."

"Powerful position and needed to steal something of mine?" I ask him.

He grunts, "Why must you always bring this up?"

I roll my eyes, "Because that is why I'm with you. To retrieve it."

"Before I kill you?" He smirks at me and then returns to the road. I frown and stare out the window. I'm tired from being suddenly woken up, and would like to sleep while he drives. He shouldn't care too much. "So, since you were scared earlier..." He starts, "Wouldn't that mean your mate would be after you to save you?"

I lean my head on the cold, glass window, "I never mated with him yet." I answer honestly. The man I thought was my mate did not mark me yet.

"Ah. So, anyone can take you at this point? Better watch out where we are going." He seems to warn me, but I let it fly over my head.

"Take me at this point? Nobody is going to walk up to me and mark me. We are not animals." I tell him. He shakes his head, "No telling what these people would do to gain fame and money from you. But don't worry, if anyone does mark you, I'll still keep you with me so I can kill you myself." He winks at me and I scoff. Why is he so adamant on killing me?

He stays silent for a while, "So, you're not going to tell me about your mate at all?" I shake my head. "Why not?" He asks. I close my eyes, not wanting to talk about it. He doesn't care though, "Fine. Don't tell me about Dylan."

I sit up straight and stare at him. "What did you just say?"

He ignores me and looks upset. I'm the one who should be upset here! He says, "I wanted you to tell me about Dylan, but you refused. I just want to let you know that I already know of him."

"How?" I ask him. I've never told anyone!

"I know a lot about you. Maura Othella Delreal: Twenty years old, top 100 in her class, voted most beautiful in high school. Likes vanilla ice cream, hates the darker color orange, and her best friend turned into her mate her senior year." He spews out information about me while my eyes widen.

"H-How...?" I try to say, but I can't get anything out.

"How do I know this?" He asks me and I slowly nod my head, "I'd like to know who I kidnapped before taking them on a journey with me."

This doesn't explain how he knows, only why. I can't seem to find the words to ask him anything. He still looks upset, probably even more. "I wanted you to tell me these things, but you only seem to care about lesser topics. Doesn't matter anymore. Go to sleep."

I stare at him for a while. How in the world am I supposed to go to sleep, knowing that he has so much information on me that he isn't revealing? He looks back at me, "Sleep. Now." I nod and place my head on the window. My eyes are shut, but it doesn't mean I am sleeping. I'm thinking about everything that has happened. What in the world is going on?