Chapter 24

We land at the nearest airport and are ushered off the plane. When people were asking why we landed in a place we weren't supposed to be, the stewardess announced that the Alpha requested our plane to stop here. She's announcing it like it is a great opportunity for all of us. The people on the plane watch us, secretly judging us for making them be delayed, or jealous of our meeting the Alpha when they can't.

We are escorted through the airport and to a nice car, not as nice as mine, but nice enough that a whole group of people could ride together when it is just me, Ryland, and the driver. I hold Ryland's hand through the car ride, scared of the unknown. Ryland looks at me during our ride and says, "whatever I say, go along with it. We don't want Zax to know more that he should about us."

Shaking my head, I look out the window and sigh. I have never been to the pack house or really seen my Alpha in person. It is a little intimidating for me already, but add in the fact that we are planning war on him, I'm terrified. Ryland senses my fear and squeezes my hand for reassurance. I take in a deep breath and wait for us to arrive.

When we reach the massive house, the car drives off and we stand by the steps going to the front door. There are a few guards staring at us from afar, along with a few gardeners watching us. We have no choice but to go up to the door and knock.

The front door opens up and a man opens the door with a straight face. He looks at me and I can see a slight frown, but when I keep looking to see if I was right, he switches his face back into a straight line. He looks behind me when Ryland steps inside and his face turns to one of shock.

The older man looks speechless and stands still with the door handle tight in his grasp. "Alpha?"

I look around the room to see where Alpha Zax is, afraid that he had come up to us, quietly. I don't see Alpha Zax at all, so I probably heard this wrong. Ryland looks at the man with shock, too, "Terrance?"

Ryland stands slightly in front of me, "why are you here? I thought you went to see the city? I was surprised that you did not return after a week."

The man, Terrance, says, "We cannot talk about this here. He's listening." Terrance applies that Alpha Zax must be listening. Ryland nods while Terrance closes the door and looks around the main room. "Is this the Lun—" he stops his question because Ryland answers it, "yes."

Terrance looks at me and smiles, "it is great to meet you. We've been waiting for a long time." He shakes my hand and his eyes sparkle for some unknown reason. I wonder what he was asking Ryland, but Ryland cut him off before I could hear the rest of it. "Maura." I tell him my name and he smiles wider.

'We've been waiting for a long time,' he said to me, but why was he waiting for Ryland to get a mate? Maybe they know each other very well and he cared for Ryland's life. Ryland smiles at both of us but turns his attention to Terrance, "Where can we talk?"

Terrance looks at Ryland and frowns, "I'm afraid there is no safe space. Just put it together: I leave for vacation, don't return, and you find me 'working' here." He looks around the room again, "Alp—"

Ryland cut's him off, "Call me Ryland."

He smiles, "Ryland. The Beta will meet you for lunch, so please head to the dining hall." He looks over to me, "Lun—" he clears his throat and looks back at me, "Maura, it was nice meeting you. I hope we get to talk to each other again soon."

I nod with a slight smile. He is hiding something from me, and I don't feel too good about it. I feel like he is calling me Luna since he was calling Ryland Alpha. I don't know why, since Ryland isn't an Alpha. He only lives in the Central Pack. Though, I never did meet the Alpha of the Central during my stay there... Is he the Alpha??